Old 07-07-07, 12:22 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I liked the far away shot of him killing the snake last night
Old 07-07-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I almost puked from seeing him drink his own urine over and over again.
Old 07-08-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
I always enjoy his commentary when he does these odd things. Here is a guy who has done as many manly things as a man can do in one life, and he doesn't pretend these things don't bother him. Piss tastes awful, eating a spider is like biting on bursting puss, and when scooting down a tree monkey style remember to "try and protect the family jewels."
Old 07-08-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wild episode. i agree on the commentary he makes. they are enlightening and entertaining!
Old 07-09-07, 02:03 PM

I thought it was amazing when he ate the live salmon out of the river. He just bit into it and ate as much as he could hold. He didn't have time to stop and build a fire and cook it.

I also saw him eat a small snake once. He talked about how much protein is in them, then bit the head off and chewed up the snake and ate it.

In the desert episode he was looking for snakes to eat, but only found one that is a protected species, so he let it go and went hungry.

Man vs Wild is a great show and very interesting. Now I know how to make a raft out of balsa wood, should the need arise.
Old 07-09-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shipwreck
Now I know how to make a raft out of balsa wood, should the need arise.
Well with a username like yours, you may want to start practicing.
Old 07-15-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I noticed with next week's show listing (Scotland) there is also a listing for a "never before seen" episode immediately after. So heads up on those VCR/DVR's.
Old 07-15-07, 12:43 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I noticed with next week's show listing (Scotland) there is also a listing for a "never before seen" episode immediately after. So heads up on those VCR/DVR's.
It's new footage from previous episodes according to the listing on Yahoo
Old 07-15-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 07-15-07, 02:03 PM

Although Bear's show is sometimes more interesting, Survivorman is the winner for me. Survivorman sets up a real life situation (plane crash, snowmobile breaking down, etc) and shows us what needs to be done to get out using the materials available.

Seems like Bear always seems to have a flint in his pocket when it's most needed, not very realistic for someone who is really trying to survive. Both are cool shows though.
Old 07-15-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by illini420
Although Bear's show is sometimes more interesting, Survivorman is the winner for me. Survivorman sets up a real life situation (plane crash, snowmobile breaking down, etc) and shows us what needs to be done to get out using the materials available.

Seems like Bear always seems to have a flint in his pocket when it's most needed, not very realistic for someone who is really trying to survive. Both are cool shows though.
Bear has started fires a couple times without the flint to show ways to do it without having matches, flint or a lighter. I actually think M.V.W. sets up a more real life situation, actually even far worse than real life.

I tried Survivorman, saw the first episode the other night, it was horrible. Maybe it gets better and I'm going to give it a chance, but all Les does is lay around for days and complain, and just generally sit around until he decides to try to find a way to people. Maybe I just really like M.V.W. more and was trying to compare or think they would be similar, but in my opinion there's no comparison.
Old 07-15-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I watched 8 episodes in the last 2 days. Love the show even though he's showing us how to survive lol I know I'd end up dead if I had to scale a cliff or half the other crazy crap he ends up doing.

Cant wait to see the new episodes.
Old 07-15-07, 04:13 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pilot
but all Les does is lay around for days and complain, and just generally sit around until he decides to try to find a way to people.
that's pretty much every episode
Old 07-15-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think Survivorman does a better job, but Man vs wild is more entertaining. Sometimes Bear does over dramatize some stuff for enteratainment purposes sometimes.
Old 07-15-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fernsita
i think that is a great point. since bear is the survival expert i bet he is worrying about the camera crew too. i had never even thought about that. i can see him turning around and yelling at them for doing something dumb. haha. bear is the man. to me he already has chuck norris status. almost time for the new episodes woo hoo!

In the episode in the everglades, he tells the camera man to get to higher ground, as he thought it might have been a alligator (bubbling in the water).

Love this show!
Old 07-15-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by magiccmom
I told a friend to watch this show because I thought it was so awesome. Turns out they were totally offended by the fact he kills and eats these animals. Especially offended because he eats them raw. Says they could "say" you could eat them, but shouldnt actually do it, because he doesnt really need to except for production value. Yet this same person watches Survivor and watches a bunch of lazy ass people kill and eat off the land for a million bucks. Is it just me or does this smack of hypocricity?

Offended because he kills and eats animals? He is trying to show us HOW to eat these animals, no offense, but talking about eating things just does not have the impact of actually eating them.

At least he does not eat protected species.
Old 07-15-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He always starts off the show, saying what he has:

Knife
Flint
Water Canteen
Old 07-15-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
He always starts off the show, saying what he has:

Knife
Flint
Water Canteen
And quite frankly if you were travelling in any of these areas he films in wihtout these basic items you would have to be insane, especially considering two of them could fit into your front trousers pocket with space left over. Also, there are episodes where he goes without these items. And even so, how many different ways do we need to see him rub two sticks together for 10 minutes to make fire? He has proven he can do it many times over.
Old 07-15-07, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Yep to venture into these areas without a pocketknife and flint is pure stupid. But he starts fire plenty of times without, and probably is actually doing everyone a favor mentioning he brings those two things along. Meaning anyone out in areas like this should too.

Anyway sweet got season 2 5 episodes just downloaded ....the adventure continues.
Old 07-20-07, 10:18 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
From today's new episode filmed at Hoth:

"This dead dear smells bad, but at least it'll keep me warm."
Old 07-20-07, 11:41 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Just in general about the show: Is it just me, or when he finds "civilization", some of those places look kinda creepy? I can't help think: "Man vs. Wild was just the beginning...it's now MAN VS. MAN!" (how to deal with the crazy trucker who picks you up, native cannibals, or the crazy rednecks living in that cabin in the middle of nowhere...)
Old 07-20-07, 11:44 PM

That's a good point actually. What's to say that the people he does eventually find even want to help him out? I suppose most people would help a stranger in situations like that, but what of the foreign countries where the natives may not understand or speak English, or may be afraid?
Old 07-21-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I'm sure once he finds "civilization" the show is over, and they call in on a sat phone to get picked up.
Old 07-21-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
I told a friend to watch this show because I thought it was so awesome. Turns out they were totally offended by the fact he kills and eats these animals. Especially offended because he eats them raw. Says they could "say" you could eat them, but shouldnt actually do it, because he doesnt really need to except for production value. Yet this same person watches Survivor and watches a bunch of lazy ass people kill and eat off the land for a million bucks. Is it just me or does this smack of hypocricity?
Bear's profile on the show's homepage says that he is a vegetarian in everyday life and only eats meat in survival situations.
Old 07-21-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My son and I watch this show together and as much as we love it we always laugh about his "real life stories". Now, I'm sure they're real but it seems like he has an encyclopedic knowledge of how idiots have died in the wild. At least three times an episode he says something like, "Back in 1988 there was a hiker trying to climb a cliff just like this and he fell and died." Its now kind of like a running joke for us, in everyday situations one of us will spout off some silly death statistic in an English accent about the dangers of parking or buying milk.

I for one totally respect him for his over the top examples he puts himself in. That's the key, he puts himself in those real situations. Most times he is dead, regardless of the camera crew, if he screws it up. Growing up in Alaska I have been around the dangers of snow and ice. He earned my complete respect when he demonstrated survival techniques by jumping into an ice crevice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.