Rosie vs. Elizabeth Hasselbach

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Rosie vs. Elizabeth Hasselbach

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-07, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suggest everyone watch this commentary (from a Texan Republican no less) on patriotism before calling anyone unpatriotic or unAmerican.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul388.html
Old 05-25-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the problem is that elisabeth is so stupid, such a moron and bad debater, that rosie "wins" every argument. Oh and her husband SUCKS at football
Old 05-25-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
This is wrong, wrong, wrong. Being against the war doesn't make you anti-american. Considering the sentiment of an overwhelming number of citizens that we should not be there, I'd say that being anti-war is being PRO-american.
It's not her anti-war stance that's getting her all this heat. She insinuated that the troops are terrorists. She said they were responsible for the deaths of 655,000 Iraqis. First of all, I don't know where the hell she got that number. Secondly, the troops aren't the ones blowing themselves up at funerals or detonating bombs in cars while children are inside.

If she felt that her remarks were taken out of context or misinterpreted, then she needs to clarify that. That's what led to the shouting match with Elizabeth Hasselbeck. Rosie O'Fat made it sound like it was Elizabeth's responsibility to defend her for what she said instead of Rosie defending herself.

And this is just the latest in a long line of insensitive or downright offensive remarks by the woman since she joined The View. She said the government was behind 9/11. She was hesitant to accept that Khalid Sheikh Mohammed helped plot 9/11 despite him confessing to it multiple times. She said Christian fundamentalists are just as bad as Islamofascists. She insisted that we shouldn't fear terrorists as they're mothers and fathers too. And she made that stupid "ching chong" joke which offended Chinese people.
Old 05-25-07, 10:41 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by paulringodaman
the problem is that elisabeth is so stupid, such a moron and bad debater, that rosie "wins" every argument. Oh and her husband SUCKS at football
Plus Rosie's louder.
Old 05-25-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by matta
The issue is that Rosie is genuinely anti-American -- it goes beyond one specific topic.
Bullshit. She is extremely critical of this Administration and its actions, and believes America should be better. This is typical right-wing red-baiting. You don't get to decide if I love my country.
Old 05-25-07, 10:47 AM

It really doesnt matter what she said, but that she has the right to say it. If not, that takes the "freedom" out of "freedom of speech".
Old 05-25-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
It's not her anti-war stance that's getting her all this heat. She insinuated that the troops are terrorists. She said they were responsible for the deaths of 655,000 Iraqis.
Well shit, they didn't play this part on any of the clips I saw. This certainly changes my opinion about her for the worse (not that it was pristine before).

That's some fucking ridiculous shit right there Rosie. Support the war or not, but you better damn well support our troops. If it wasn't for our military and the protections they afford us, you wouldn't have the freedom to stuff your face full of Moon Pies and spew out that sort of misguided shit.

To anyone in this thread who thinks that my comment meant that I supported the full contents of Rosie's diatribe, let me make it clear that I in no way do.

The main problem for me is that the View has strayed so far from what made it special. The prime was when Meredith Vieira was signed on, Star Jones and Lisa Ling. As soon as Hasselbeck joined, the show declined.

I certainly agree with a lot of O' Donnell's political comments, but she's insane. She's no one's friend and she clearly needs therapy. Really? I don't think she should be in the business anymore, her nerves are too fragile.

This used to be a fun show. And has anyone else noticed the guest list has tilted towards the B list since O' Donnell appeared...
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aktick
Plus Rosie's louder.

it's the same with Hannity or O'Reilly. shouting seems to win arguments.

I call for a ban on all shouting arguments as form for reasonable discussion.
Old 05-25-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wmansir
I'm curious, short of "I hate america" what does someone have to do/say to be considered anti-american these days? Obviously, insinuating the US is a terrorist organization and was behind 911 isn't nearly enough. I wonder where the bar is?
I would say that the above sentence would certainly cover it.
Old 05-25-07, 10:58 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
it's the same with Hannity or O'Reilly. shouting seems to win arguments.

I call for a ban on all shouting arguments as form for reasonable discussion.
What?!?! NO SHOUTING?!?! SCREW YOU!!!

I win.
Old 05-25-07, 11:00 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by wmansir
I'm curious, short of "I hate america" what does someone have to do/say to be considered anti-american these days? Obviously, insinuating the US is a terrorist organization and was behind 911 isn't nearly enough. I wonder where the bar is?
Unless you say, "I hate America and hope all Americans die in the dark alone...and their dogs die with them," you're probably good.
Old 05-25-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Less talk more pictures. (NOT ROSIE)
Old 05-25-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mopower
Less talk more pictures. (NOT ROSIE)

Old 05-25-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Loving the pregnancy boobies...
Old 05-25-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rosie's comments about 9-11 make it pretty hard to take her seriously.
Old 05-25-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Rosie's comments about 9-11 make it pretty hard to take her seriously.
Many of Rosie's comments make it hard to take her seriously. But Rosie does take one thing seriously - buffets.
Old 05-25-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't believe people still watch this show. Rosie's an idiot, a loud-mouth, and a hypocrite; and I don't think Elizabeth Hasselbeck has ever said anything -- ever -- that was worth listening to. That anyone would even bother to pick sides between them is a waste of time, but if I have to , the crazy bitch who's hot trumps (zing!) the crazy bitch who's disgusting.

das
Old 05-25-07, 11:40 AM
Suspended

being able to say publicly "I hate America" and not have other Americans label you as an enemy of the country or try to throw you in jail is the exact principle that the United States of America was founded on

it's OTHER countries where you have to be worried about what you say

here (now at least) we get to disagree with other citizens while still being recognized as such

dissent is patriotism

refusing to let someone lead you across a deep, fast moving river in which you know you will perish is intelligent self-preservation

if America stops allowing the most extreme of voices to be heard and heard loudly, especially the ones it disagrees with most and is made most uncomfortable by.. it stops being America

the Founders didn't work that hard just so the people in the early 21st Century could kick back and feel at ease with their own personal individual world views. Representative Democracy can seem complex and difficult at times, but to just throw up your hands and surrender the ideals that made this country great b/c you don't agree with another persons' view of a war we're fighting is (imo) quite insane.

the mistake a lot of people make is going around trying to figure out what the litmus test for other people being 'anti-American' is. that just tells me that person is desperate to label other people as 'anti-American' so they can claim the status of 'pro-American', somehow defining them as 'right' or 'righteous' in their point of view. it's bullshit.

and i freaking hate O'Donnell. She's an idiot. But to just call her anti-American is worse than being lazy or dishonest.. it's cultivating a type of divisiveness that's antithetical to open, free thought. If that's how it's going to be then I say 'Calling someone anti-American is anti-American' See how that logic breaks down quickly?

free speech has limits, but this is light years away from anything of that sort.

finally, paying that much attention to someone as partially-informed as a panel member of The View just reinforces their own view of themselves as some sort of authority on the subject. it's amazing that anyone gives two shits what either of these birds has to say.

I just hope Matt is working that out on regular basis. I know I would.
Old 05-25-07, 11:51 AM

I think it's perfectly valid to criticize the government, its policies, etc. But Rosie has made statements questioning why it's not considered murder when our troops kill an insurgent, she openly believes our government was responsible for 9/11, etc.

Does looking for every reason to criticize America, regardless of evidence, classify as "anti-American"?
Old 05-25-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Doughboy
It's not her anti-war stance that's getting her all this heat. She insinuated that the troops are terrorists. She said they were responsible for the deaths of 655,000 Iraqis. First of all, I don't know where the hell she got that number. Secondly, the troops aren't the ones blowing themselves up at funerals or detonating bombs in cars while children are inside.

If she felt that her remarks were taken out of context or misinterpreted, then she needs to clarify that. That's what led to the shouting match with Elizabeth Hasselbeck. Rosie O'Fat made it sound like it was Elizabeth's responsibility to defend her for what she said instead of Rosie defending herself.

And this is just the latest in a long line of insensitive or downright offensive remarks by the woman since she joined The View. She said the government was behind 9/11. She was hesitant to accept that Khalid Sheikh Mohammed helped plot 9/11 despite him confessing to it multiple times. She said Christian fundamentalists are just as bad as Islamofascists. She insisted that we shouldn't fear terrorists as they're mothers and fathers too. And she made that stupid "ching chong" joke which offended Chinese people.
Rosie O'Fat? Clever.

As the other poster mentioned, most of what you're doing is just run of the mill, standard right wing baiting. Rush should be right about 1/2 as many times as Rosie, same with Hannity, but that's all cool...they're "political experts." Or they play them on tv and radio.

Personally, I find Rosie offensive. I mean, that is, I just don't like her or how she behaves. But she's just a target for the right now, as if you haven't messed things up enough in the world, so you look to the View to find a scapegoat. The View...seriously, who watches that? How is it relevent other than the lazy media making Rosie into a Paris Hilton type attraction? Ignore her, at least if you want to talk seriously about politics. She gives her opinion on a talk show for women that sucks.

The only thing that bugs me about this is again how the right manipulates the dialogue. Rosie, among many wrong things (wish is still better than Limbaugh when it comes to being truthful and offensive), said that isn't it possible that the Iraqi peope might see us as terrorists? Well, they have a completely different culture, even if they did want Saddam gone they expected their electricity to be back 3 years ago, the expected if the US was going to depose Saddam that we'd make sure in doing so we didn't allow terrorists from other countries to set up camp in their country, so we could have the death and carnage in their country, so as to not have it here, and, honestly, they probably expected that we'd do something, have some kind of plan before the war to prevent a civil war or that we'd get out after we'd given them freedom from Saddam and the right to have their own civil war if that's what they wanted to do after finally being given some hope. Shouldn't we at least think with that many dead Iraqi civilians, who don't see enough or know enough to possibly view us as terrorists...even though we clearly aren't terrorists...certainly not like the one's who attacked us?

It's like watching the Republican debate, you either say, "kill 'em all" or you're laughed at. Nuance is not allowed in the discussion any longer.

We should be able to look at the foreign policy that we have and try and find and understand these people, so that we can do something to address the root cause (well, it's mostly religion, but that's for another debate), because we can't win this by simply being at war all the time. That doesn't mean the US is to blame, or the Americans are bad, or that our troops are not heroes. It does possibly mean that our government has failed us and we might want to make sure better, more responsible people are there, who can still fight back against those already set on killing AND try and have a relationship with the rest of the world that isn't only about how we can show our dominance and take advantage of other, poorer countries resources. Certainly, that should be part of the discussion. But Republican want to talk about Rosie instead and the rest of the country is more interested in Britney Spears.
Old 05-25-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
being able to say publicly "I hate America" and not have other Americans label you as an enemy of the country or try to throw you in jail is the exact principle that the United States of America was founded on
Not true. The principle was built out of a LOVE for one's country and a desire to make it better, not hate it and trash it. Those type of people don't deserve those types of freedoms.
Old 05-25-07, 11:58 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Birrman54

Does looking for every reason to criticize America, regardless of evidence, classify as "anti-American"?
Define, 'criticize' - Define 'evidence' - Define 'anti-American' - Define 'looking for every reason' - Define 'regardless'

on second thought...

Decide for yourself. Feel good about it.

Move on with your life.

Just expect to reap what you sow as you wander along your own path.

We all do in the end.
Old 05-25-07, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by An4h0ny

it's OTHER countries where you have to be worried about what you say

here (now at least) we get to disagree with other citizens while still being recognized as such

dissent is patriotism

refusing to let someone lead you across a deep, fast moving river in which you know you will perish is intelligent self-preservation

if America stops allowing the most extreme of voices to be heard and heard loudly, especially the ones it disagrees with most and is made most uncomfortable by.. it stops being America

the Founders didn't work that hard just so the people in the early 21st Century could kick back and feel at ease with their own personal individual world views. Representative Democracy can seem complex and difficult at times, but to just throw up your hands and surrender the ideals that made this country great b/c you don't agree with another persons' view of a war we're fighting is (imo) quite insane.

the mistake a lot of people make is going around trying to figure out what the litmus test for other people being 'anti-American' is. that just tells me that person is desperate to label other people as 'anti-American' so they can claim the status of 'pro-American', somehow defining them as 'right' or 'righteous' in their point of view. it's bullshit.

and i freaking hate O'Donnell. She's an idiot. But to just call her anti-American is worse than being lazy or dishonest.. it's cultivating a type of divisiveness that's antithetical to open, free thought. If that's how it's going to be then I say 'Calling someone anti-American is anti-American' See how that logic breaks down quickly?

free speech has limits, but this is light years away from anything of that sort.

finally, paying that much attention to someone as partially-informed as a panel member of The View just reinforces their own view of themselves as some sort of authority on the subject. it's amazing that anyone gives two shits what either of these birds has to say.

I just hope Matt is working that out on regular basis. I know I would.
Very well said, and I agree with it all. Except that last line!
Old 05-25-07, 12:10 PM
Suspended

Not true. The principle was built out of a LOVE for one's country and a desire to make it better, not hate it and trash it. Those type of people don't deserve those types of freedoms.
not sure if that was sarcasm or not...

but if it wasn't

mmmm... no, sorry but that's just incorrect. it's all written down by the way. Everybody deserves all freedoms, unless they are breaking the law or violating the freedoms of someone else to a degree that they are preventing others from expressing themselves freely, as guaranteed in the Constitution and Bill of Rights. I think people who say other people don't deserve certain parts of freedom should have all of their liberties stripped so they could regain a real connection to them and appreciate just how valuable they are. If someone thinks only THEY should have certain freedoms and other should be denied them, then they prove their own limited capacity for reasoned thought. you can live your whole life frightened of others' thoughts and opinions, but that doesn't negate what other people think or make it any less valid. it just means you don't agree.

Article III

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

doesn't say I have to love any person of political ideal placed upon me by a human being. I honor the ideals of the country instead of listening to what people tell me. you're making the mistake of trying to say YOUR IDEAL is what should be revered and 'loved'. that's not what the USA was founded on.

i also like this one

Article VI

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized

*edit* haha.. sorry m.mom. just being honest! she's hawt.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.