Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol -- Final 2 -- 05/22/07 and 05/23/07

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who is your American Idol?
Jordin Sparks
57.14%
Blake Lewis
42.86%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol -- Final 2 -- 05/22/07 and 05/23/07

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-07, 04:23 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Go Jordin. Want to see an AZ native win it.
Me too.... I've been pulling for her since the beginning... she went to the same grade school that my son goes to, and the Arizona connection is cool...

AND I think she was the best singer on this season...

Finally, THANK YOU AMERICA for voting off Melinda!
Old 05-22-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What I like about Blake is that he seems fearless.
Old 05-22-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Fetzore
Melinda had a nice voice and all but the judges and the baby boomers need to realize that her style of singing is not what's popular in America anymore. That deep, dramatic old-school style from 1979 is about 30 years old (aka time to move on). It should be no wonder that Jordin and Blake are the final two in this contest. Melinda was boring as hell to me in almost every performance that she had.
Like Blake and Jordin are some uber-hip idea of popular music. Good music is good music and usually stands the test of time. My wife and I always rolled our eyes when Simon talked about a song sounding old-fashioned. I actually think Blake's beat boxing is more tired and uncool as anything I've ever seen on AI. I don't dislike the guy, but Melinda's singing is on a totally different level.

I hope Jordin wins tomorrow.
Old 05-22-07, 05:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
What I like about Blake is that he seems fearless.
He'd have to be to break out that terrible "Hillbilly" character on national television.
Old 05-22-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm indifferent.
Old 05-22-07, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
He'd have to be to break out that terrible "Hillbilly" character on national television.
Well maybe if the others tried that they would have made it to the final two?
Old 05-22-07, 08:00 PM
Retired

Kind of sucks for Blake--the contest winning song was terribly suited for his style and perfectly suited for Jordin.

They should really just have the contestants do 3 songs of their choice in the final.
Old 05-22-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
"This is My Now". Wow, what a piece of shit song. Who could make THAT work!??
Old 05-22-07, 08:15 PM

I'm a little underwhelmed. Blake looked pretty defeated trying to sell that last song. I'm willing to say Jordin should win this all, but I'm not so confident. I believe people will rally around Blake. It's a toss up.
Old 05-22-07, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They had to have a songwriting contest to come up with THAT crappy original song? Oy vey.

Diane Warren, come back, all is forgiven.
Old 05-22-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't really care who wins, but that finale left a bad taste in my mouth. Why not just call it "The Coronation of Jordin, Blake Sucks" or something? I am not saying she's not good enough to win it on her own mind you, just that they didn't have to bend over quite so much. Christ.

Oh and that last song was CRAP. I felt so bad for Blake up there trying to sing that mess. It's the worst lame finale song yet, and that's saying something.

I really need to give this show up, but it's so hard. Maybe this will help me out.

Last edited by onebyone; 05-22-07 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-22-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the most forgetfull finale ever
Old 05-22-07, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Fetzore
Melinda had a nice voice and all but the judges and the baby boomers need to realize that her style of singing is not what's popular in America anymore. That deep, dramatic old-school style from 1979 is about 30 years old (aka time to move on). It should be no wonder that Jordin and Blake are the final two in this contest. Melinda was boring as hell to me in almost every performance that she had.

Also, screw the whole idea that this show is a singing competition. It's about 50% that and 50% popularity & entertainment and either the staff of AI are going to go with the flow of this and make some adjustments to keep people interested in watching not only for the singing but for the whole package of a pop star or this show will be off the air sooner than later.

Oh, and to stay on subject, I hope Jordin wins it.
i listen to the classic rock station most times and most music since the mid 1990's has absolutely nothing new compared what came before it. most new rock sounds almost exactly like the rock of the late 1960's and 70's
Old 05-22-07, 09:06 PM

What is the deal with them trying to make them sing the same song at the end? There is no reason to compare them side by side. They are 2 totally different performers and having them sing those weak ass rally songs at the end means nothing.
Old 05-22-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let's face facts, kids: American Idol is NOT, for the most part, pumping out "stars" -- they're pumping out product. Melinda would not have been good product -- unless you're over 50 or so -- and I'm not sure that people over 50 are buying much music these days anyway. If Melinda had won, she'd have been in the same boat as Taylor Hicks -- a horrendous 3-year contract with "19 Entertainment" (that she doesn't need to be successful) until people forgot about her. So all of you "I'm holding my breath until AI takes back Melinda's elimination" people, if you're such fans, be glad she was voted off and go buy her first CD!

On to this week: Jordin probably is a lock to win and that's good for everyone. Jordin is a good singer, but is 17 and could use the guidance and management that a "19 Entertainment" contract would give her. Blake will be free to pursue the music style that he wants to and not have to worry about what "pop" crap AI will want him to do. Everybody wins!

OTOH, if Blake wins, he'll be forced to put out some crap "19 Entertainment" CD in December or January that no one will buy -- like Taylor Hicks with his five month 680,000 sales RECORD -- and without good management for her career, Jordin will become 2007's Katherine McPhee -- the runner-up everyone will say was robbed, but no one will buy her music.

So, I prefer Blake by far, but hope Jordin wins. The AI paradox....

Last edited by SMB-IL; 05-22-07 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-22-07, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As if it weren't a foregone conclusion before tonight, go ahead and engrave the trophy with Jordin's name on it. You can tell the judges are positive she's going to win, because they praised the hell out of her for being out of breath and off tempo with "Fighter" and out of tune on that asstastic, Jr. Diane Warren, vapid piece o' shit they sang at the end (not wanting to bad mouth their next star). I'm just some guy on a message board, and he's an actual musician, but check it out, yo -- Randy's tone deaf. Of course, none of this matters, because she took her below average shouting performance of "Broken Wing" (also wildly praised by the judges ) and "knocked it out of the box" this time. She nailed the difficult low register, controlled the high notes instead of shouting, and totally blew the doors off the competition. Blake doesn't have a prayer (even though I think he did about as well as he could with what they gave him).

das
Old 05-22-07, 09:57 PM
Suspended

screw american idol.
Old 05-22-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That song was horrible. Was it written by a 6-year-old? This is my now? That was the best song out of thousands of entries that they picked? Why even bother having a contest. Geez, I might as well enter the song contest for next year. Here's my song:

I'm a believer,
because I have dreams and hopes.
I used to not dream or hope,
but now everything is groovy
because I'm a believer.
woo woo hoo woo hoo.
I like green eggs and ham,
but only when I fly with wings
out over the horizon
with my smile to guide my way,
because I'm a believer
woo woo hoo woo woo
I know the power of love
and I know there's miracles too
because I'm a believer
and I like puppies and hugs.
woo woo hoo woo woo

Last edited by Shilex; 05-22-07 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-22-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SMB-IL
Let's face facts, kids: American Idol is NOT, for the most part, pumping out "stars" -- they're pumping out product. Melinda would not have been good product -- unless you're over 50 or so -- and I'm not sure that people over 50 are buying much music these days anyway. If Melinda had won, she'd have been in the same boat as Taylor Hicks -- a horrendous 3-year contract with "19 Entertainment" (that she doesn't need to be successful) until people forgot about her. So all of you "I'm holding my breath until AI takes back Melinda's elimination" people, if you're such fans, be glad she was voted off and go buy her first CD!

On to this week: Jordin probably is a lock to win and that's good for everyone. Jordin is a good singer, but is 17 and could use the guidance and management that a "19 Entertainment" contract would give her. Blake will be free to pursue the music style that he wants to and not have to worry about what "pop" crap AI will want him to do. Everybody wins!

OTOH, if Blake wins, he'll be forced to put out some crap "19 Entertainment" CD in December or January that no one will buy -- like Taylor Hicks with his five month 680,000 sales RECORD -- and without good management for her career, Jordin will become 2007's Katherine McPhee -- the runner-up everyone will say was robbed, but no one will buy her music.

So, I prefer Blake by far, but hope Jordin wins. The AI paradox....
it's about to start here on the west coast, but i decided to spoil the outcome for me and read what was up.

man that sucks for blake, and sucks for viewers like me. i was hoping to see blake come out with a bang. now i know he got shorted.

oh well.

but i quoted your post because this sums up both of them nicely, imo. kudos!!

i actually like both of them, but would agree that the most beneficial outcome for both of them would to have jordin win and blake come second.

i'm still a little down-trodden that katharine mcphee didn't have better sales. it's not my kind of music, but i actually liked a few of the songs on the album.

plus...i still have mcphever from last year!
Old 05-22-07, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I still can't get past how Jordin dwarfs Ryan when they stand side by side, it's just weird looking.

Though Jordin will win, I am not predicting great success in terms of album sales for her.
Old 05-22-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Geez. The first few words into the song you know Jordin is going to perform the song better.

She's good, though. I'll have no problem with Jordin winning the whole thing. I would've liked a more old-fashioned show down at the end, though. And that song was no fair to Blake.

Props to Simon for pointing that out to the viewers. Disregard that last song and judge Blake on the first two.

And way for Jordin to play up the song by choking up at the end. Probably genuine, but you gotta admit that show of emotion for a song like that, and with the performance she gave, she's going to get the votes.

update on simon: 'you just wiped the floor with blake on that one". sheesh!
Old 05-22-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still haven't voted since Sanjaya left, and I'm not going to start tonight. That being said, I hope Blake wins it, she's the one that I see having a successful singing career. Though Blake wouldn't be a bad choice either. Hell, I don't really care, either one works, I'm just glad that Melinda "Shrek" Doolittle is gone.

As for what they will do tomorrow, tons of guest stars including the other eight people who were in the final ten. So yes... you will see Sanjaya tomorrow! Some other guests tossed in as filler, hopefully Chris Daughtry again - that was a great performance. His band is a little heavy on the music and not heavy enough on the vocals, but oh well.
Old 05-22-07, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Shilex
That song was horrible. Was it written by a 6-year-old? This is my now? That was the best song out of thousands of entries that they picked? Why even bother having a contest. Geez, I might as well enter the song contest for next year. Here's my song:

I'm a believer,
because I'm a believer.
woo woo hoo woo hoo.
out over the horizon
because I'm a believer
woo woo hoo woo woo
I know the power of love
because I'm a believer
woo woo hoo woo woo

ooooh, Blake coulda totally beatboxed that one!
Old 05-22-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shilex
I'm a believer,
because I'm a believer.
woo woo hoo woo hoo.
out over the horizon
because I'm a believer
woo woo hoo woo woo
I know the power of love
because I'm a believer
woo woo hoo woo woo
Diane Warren's lawyers are on Line 2.

das
Old 05-22-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm a bit surprised that we haven't heard from the conspiracy theorists yet about how the final song was "fixed" by American Idol to give the title to Jordin.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.