Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol -- Final 2 -- 05/22/07 and 05/23/07

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who is your American Idol?
Jordin Sparks
57.14%
Blake Lewis
42.86%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol -- Final 2 -- 05/22/07 and 05/23/07

Old 05-24-07, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Did the show run over? My DVR did not pick up the end.
Yeah, no kidding. Unbelievable. Recorded 2 hours of filler and had to come to this forum to look up the winner. Next time I'm just skipping the two hours altogether. Thanks Fox.
Old 05-24-07, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Mine stopped at 2 hrs too. DirecTV DVR... now to hunt through the thread to see who won.

Bah. I liked Blake and never warmed up to Jordin.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 05-24-07 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-24-07, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should have padded it too. 2 hours of this show was plenty for me anyway. Too much filler. Hard to stay awake. I'm surprised Fox doesn't let Idol take over the entire 3 hour primetime block.

Jordin winning was a foregone conclusion. Congratulations but boring.

I did like Tony who slowed the tempo of the song and it sounded incredible. Smokey was cool as usual and Gladys was great. Lovely surprise to see Bette but she's done much better. I thought Bebe and Cece along with Melinda was a good match.

Next year, get rid of those awards that makes a complete joke of the show. This was a year of freaks and to give them their 15 minutes is way too generous. I never thought or wanted to see Miss Big Black Bigbird or the Circus Sideshow boys again. Then again, the producers let Sanjaya perform with a real musician.

Now, I can enjoy the 3-4 hours a week I spent watching this poor season.
Old 05-24-07, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts
It's the producers fault for not timing the show correct. I already knew that Jordin won, but wanted to see the announcement and final performance and read here about the East Coast performance going 10 minutes over. Since my Directv was going to cut off, I decided to watch the last 10 minutes at work.
Old 05-24-07, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Haley, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood looked hot

jordin next year will look hot too
Old 05-24-07, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

also, not for nothing, sanjaya was actually more entertaining then everyone else
Old 05-24-07, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I couldn't believe there was an overrun.

I know that I am probably reading way too much into it, but Carrie and Kelly didn't seem especially cozy with each other. I don't think they even looked at each other when they were side by side.

Carrie is gorgeous.
Old 05-24-07, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Carrie looked like an alien she was so skinny... And I dont know what it is about Clarkson, but she is and I really liked her performances last night. Much more than the Idol Gives Back performance.
Old 05-24-07, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Classic. I watch Lost, run over to the DVR to see who won, and don't see anything as they didn't announce.
And I didn't care either. Zero suspense.

But they couldn't have crowned a winner at 9:45?
Old 05-24-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had taped AI and was watching Lost when my wife came home. The first thing she said was, "So, Jordin won, huh?" Thanks, bitch.

Smokey, Tony, Gladys all sounded great.

Kelly Clarkson SHOUTS all of her songs.

The Beatles medley was kind of painful.

Brad Garrett should've chokeslammed that crying Sanjaya girl.

Enough with bringing back the audition retards for stupid awards.
Old 05-24-07, 08:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Stupid Fox. I switched over to Lost and let this Tivo. Then I went back to watch the recording, and they ran the show over, which means the winner was cut off. So I ended up having to look it up on the Internet.
Old 05-24-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
I couldn't believe there was an overrun.

I know that I am probably reading way too much into it, but Carrie and Kelly didn't seem especially cozy with each other. I don't think they even looked at each other when they were side by side.

Carrie is gorgeous.
We padded 5 mins and still barely saw the winner announced.

Terrible end to a terrible season.
Old 05-24-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
luckily we started it here at the time we did and did plenty of fast forwarding. when we were greeted with no ending I hit the Tivo live buffer and it was barely still there. if we had watched or waited an extra 3-4 minutes we would have missed it.
Old 05-24-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The show ran over because Clive davis pratteled on like a fucking retard
Old 05-24-07, 10:20 AM

My recording cut off before Davis spoke.
Old 05-24-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by Groucho
My recording cut off before Davis spoke.
At 915?!?!?

AHhhhhh....read username first!

Damn you GROUCHO!
Old 05-24-07, 10:22 AM

Not a joke post, just an idiotic one. Carry on folks, nothing to see here...
Old 05-24-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Blake + Doug E. Fresh was pretty sweet.

But not as sweet as Haley's legs.
Old 05-24-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
The show ran over because Clive davis pratteled on like a fucking retard
That was a complete waste of time. A big self-congratulatory pat on the back and presentation of 6 x platinum award to Carrie.
Old 05-24-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is anyone else considering giving up on Idol next year? Seems like every third season is a giant turd.
Old 05-24-07, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Is anyone else considering giving up on Idol next year? Seems like every third season is a giant turd.
In that case, shouldn't you be considering giving it up three years from now?
Old 05-24-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
In that case, shouldn't you be considering giving it up three years from now?
I realized that the second after I posted it. They should have been separate thoughts.
Old 05-24-07, 08:49 PM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
jordin next year will look hot too
"I'm glad that you specified a date after her 18th birthday (which is December 22)... otherwise, we'd have to have a chat."

Old 05-25-07, 05:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
BTW, anyone who thinks Melinda has a future of sucess just has to see the AWEFUL Jesus music duo she chose to sing with.
Well, that depends upon your definition of "success". According to Wikipedia, the "aweful" duo won 5 Grammys & 8 or 9 Dove Awards in addition to many other awards (CeCe evidently has won an additional 4 Grammys; didn't check on her brother's solo career). Along with their gospel success, they have charted a bunch of R&B hits including several #1's and have been performing & recording professionally since 1982.

Seems to me to be pretty successful...never heard of them considering giving up their chosen careers to become carpenters, as Harrison Ford was nearly forced to do before finally "making it". Many highly respected, successful musicians have been forced (either temporarily or permanently) to abandon their careers to go into related fields such as producing or different fields altogether (I think of Ry Cooder, who almost gave up music before Walter Hill 'rescued' his music by employing him on a number of great movie soundtracks, which not only kept him employed but also revitalized his career).

Although I'm not a great fan of the Winans' particular brand of music, they seem to be as successful as some of the other guests (Bette Midler...when was the last time she had a hit?). Since my favorite artist is Richard Thompson, I guess I judge success more on longevity & purity of vision. If an artist makes a living playing the kind of music they prefer and pleases a large enough group of fans to keep releasing recordings, that seems to me to be a success story...much better than going the lounge lizard/oldie route.

Also...since Melinda used to sing backup for the Winans, I thought it was perfectly in character for her to show her loyalty by singing with them. If you're thinking that she will never have the appeal of Carrie Underwood, of course you're right...but then, not too many of the other finalists have managed to match that, either. Doolittle may be fortunate in that sense because, as someone pointed out, she won't be bound by the company trying to package her as something she's not. Unless she's an awfully good actress, she has us convinced that she's genuine enough to be grateful for the exposure & opportunity AI has provided her...and that she will be much more comfortable to perform in genres suited to her. There actually is an audience for her kind of music (and people who enjoy listening to good performers regardless of whether they are "Teh Hawt"). It's kind of refreshing to see someone succeed who actually seems content (maybe a little relieved) NOT to have to change to match someone else's idea of success.

Again, I realize that the show is American IDOL...which is looking for the next POP STAR. Doolittle certainly didn't fit that description (neither did some of the past winners) and will probably never sell as well as some of the guests "artists" (still trying to recover from the ridiculous renditions offered by Maroon 5...with the "hand-over-mouth", oh-so-coy repetition...and Robin Thicke's sinus-clearing warblings) or contestants such as Daughtry (who has the sound/looks down in a popular genre), but I think she is going to surprise people with her recordings...since she can sing just about anything.

Last edited by creekdipper; 05-25-07 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-25-07, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I won't even pose it in the form of a question: I'm obviously the only one here that really enjoyed the finale and, despite Gwen Stefani, Clive Davis and the Golden Idol awards, thought it was the best AI finale ever.

That's all; just wanted to express that.... see you all in January!