Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

CBS cancels Jericho and a few more...

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

CBS cancels Jericho and a few more...

Old 05-16-07, 09:18 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too am going to miss Jericho, but the ratings weren't that good, so it didn't entirely surprise me. I thought, after watching the pilot last summer, that I was going to hate Jericho. It was too dark and depressing, but I gave it a shot in the fall and I really became a big fan. It had a great, strong but emotional season finale, and it was a great note for the show to go out on. Even though, it did have that cliffhanger. What killed it I think was the hiatus in the middle. It had some momentum but lost it all when it went on that mid-season break, just like Lost and even Heroes did to some degree.

As for the rest of the schedule, I'm just "eh". A vampire drama? A musical? Survivor China should be really interesting in the new locale, and Shark on Sundays, I think I like that (even though it'll conflict with football). The Practice did great in that timeslot for years on ABC, and it's much better then having it compete with Boston Legal, which was the buzz leading up to today.

And How I Met Your Mother coming back is good too, that show's really the only comedy I even remotely watch (and I say that because I usually don't watch the show live, choosing instead to watch Prison Break).
Old 05-16-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-je...p-tv-headlines

Ratings, Not Bombs, Doom 'Jericho'
Despite cliffhanger ending, show won't be back
By Rick Porter
May 16, 2007

CBS would like you to know that it was a tough decision to cancel "Jericho," its entry into last season's plot-driven serial glut.

That will probably be small consolation to the show's fans, who watched the show's first -- and only -- season end with the titular town's fate very much up in the air. But, as CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler put it Wednesday, "It just wasn't performing."

The ratings bear that out. After drawing a pretty solid 10.7 million viewers over its first 11 episodes in the fall, it fell off sharply after a long hiatus. The second half of the season fell to around 8 million viewers, with the adults 18-49 numbers also taking a sizable hit, often hovering just above a 2.0 rating.

"You know, it had good viewers, loyal viewers, but the show just really kind of lost its engine," Tassler says. "It was a hard decision. It's a hard decision in any year."

As for the cliffhanger ending, Tassler can only shrug. "We go through this every year," she says. "It's the nature of the beast."

Having learned the lesson about long hiatuses, CBS is hoping to avoid the same situation this season with its drama "Swingtown," about suburbanites exploring the boundaries of social acceptability in the 1970s.

"The plan is to air it in its entirety from the premiere to the finale, which is why we're holding it until midseason," Tassler says.
Old 05-16-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know, I don't get why somebody isn't running their 4 months of serial from August until November. It seems to me that we're getting away from a purely sweeps driven ad revenue model, anyway. With all of the serials going to the spring, a good way to make some ratings and money should be to do the opposite. Am I thinking about this wrong?
Old 05-16-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As for the cliffhanger ending, Tassler can only shrug. "We go through this every year," she says. "It's the nature of the beast."
I hope Tassler isn't shocked when the next batch of serialized television airs and the audience can only shrug.

Again, I'm no fan of this show. But I do feel for those that *are* fans. Nature of the beast, my ass. I can understand shows that flat out bomb and are yanked after a few episodes. But something that goes a full season and is within inches of being renewed shouldn't "end" without an ending.
Old 05-16-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 85 Posts
Oh, so now they learned there lesson after killing this show with the long break. So nice of them to let me know that.
Old 05-17-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very dissapointed in the Class not returning. Never saw Jericho.

Thrilled that Shark is returning, though. That sort of half makes up for the Class.

Actually, once I saw the few episodes of Rules of Engagement that aired, I kind of thought that the Class was a goner. Rules is a little more "traditional" and can appeal to a wider audience, IMO.

I didn't think CBS would keep both, but I wish they did. I like Rules, though, so I am glad it is sticking around.

Hope SHark can survive on Sunday night. I would like to see it on a stronger evening like Thurs, so it will have a better opportunity for long term success (especially with the move to put Jeri Ryan as a more prominant cast member), but I will take what I can get.
Old 05-17-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do we know why CBS flip-flopped back the time slots of "Without a Trace" and "Shark"?
Old 05-17-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The cancellation of Jericho isn't a shock to me, but it is very much a disappointment. I thought the show really picked up in quality after the midseason hiatus.
Old 05-17-07, 11:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Do we know why CBS flip-flopped back the time slots of "Without a Trace" and "Shark"?
According the WSJ, even though Shark succeeded in getting renewed, it lost viewers from what Trace did there the year before. So I assume they are looking to bulk up that night again.
Old 05-17-07, 06:44 PM
Cool New Member

Tru Calling is way better then Ghost Whisperer!!!!
Old 05-17-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 385 Likes on 315 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman

With ER on its last legs and ABC offering nothing in the way of competition, they want to dominate that timeslot, and WAT performed better than Shark there.
Old 05-17-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
God, I love how networks abandon these serial dramas after they start dropping in the ratings. Invasion last year. Jericho this year. If they were a tad bit smarter with these stupid hiatuses, then maybe people would stick around.
Didn't they AXE John Doe a few years back after one season. The only thing I will watch on CBS will be the NFL now.
Old 05-18-07, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheKobra
Didn't they AXE John Doe a few years back after one season. The only thing I will watch on CBS will be the NFL now.
Yeah Fox did that one.
Old 05-18-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Red Dog
With ER on its last legs and ABC offering nothing in the way of competition, they want to dominate that timeslot, and WAT performed better than Shark there.
Also I believe Without a Trace's ratings were down this year. Didn't help that a lot of people probably didn't want to stay up until 11:30-11:45 pm to finish watching the show after a football delay.
Old 05-18-07, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I am very happy that HIMYM will be back, surprised and happy that Numb3rs will still be around, but I really enjoyed Jericho. I figured they would keep it because they should have known the drop was due to the hiatus.

Christine is still around? That's asinine. The Class had its best shows at the end....sad to see it go.

I'm happy that Rules of Engagement will be back, but what did they have...6 episodes?

I suppose that as long as people watch reality crap and gameshows, I will be watching more movies and less television broadcasts.
Old 05-18-07, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Also I believe Without a Trace's ratings were down this year. Didn't help that a lot of people probably didn't want to stay up until 11:30-11:45 pm to finish watching the show after a football delay.
My recorder will stay up all night, after I calculate the pad. They show the ticking clock often enough, when 60 Minutes finally starts, that you can calculate the pad quite accurately.
Old 05-18-07, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tru Calling is way better then Ghost Whisperer!!!!
sitting in the dark for 6 weeks doing nothing is better than Ghost Whisperer.
Old 06-04-07, 08:17 AM

Just read about this show Cane. Sounds like another strong role in a completely new direction for Jimmy Smits. He really is one of the more impressive TV actors of the last 25 years.