Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Twenty Four (24) -- "Day 6: 9:00PM - 10:00PM" -- 04/02/07

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Bob Cochran co-wrote this episode and he usually is one of 24's better writers since he created the damn show. He wrote the awesome season finale last year with Jack being shipped off to China. Honestly, I think the previous episodes didn't leave much room for him and Evan Katz to work with. I think David Fury and Manny Coto and even Joel Surnow wrote alot of shit episodes that Bob had crap to work with as far as creating a comprehendible story. The last 15 minutes was actually pretty decent.
No...the last fifteen minutes was the worst part. Why did (1) Gredenko chop his arm off only to turn Fayad in 5 minutes later? And (2) why did Palmer spend the entire episode trying to stop Powers Boothe from nuking Bad Country only to agree with him after the plot line was played out? Because of an adreniline rush?
Old 04-03-07, 06:12 AM

I've been on DVD Talk for a decent amount of time...and I don't remember a show getting bashed by ALL of its loyal viewers like 24 is now. I mean, usually you'll have the few suckers who will blindly defend a once-great, now-terrible show, but there's none of that here. I'm pretty impressed by the board.
Old 04-03-07, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah 24, always good for a laugh.

I don't know which was worse last night, this or Prison Break.
Old 04-03-07, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Jack: "Show me your head"

Also, I'm sorry but this is the SECOND time 24 has trotted out the 25th Amendment, only to have completely missed an important part of the process:

1 - If the VP and a majority of the Cabinet believe the President is incapable of performing his duties, they inform the Speaker of the House and the President pro Tempore of the Senate of that fact (in writing), and the VP immediately assumes the powers and duties as Acting President.

2 - If the President thereafter submits notification (in writing) to the Speaker/Pro Tem that he *is* able to perform his duties, the powers immediately revert back to him.

3 - If the VP+Cabinet thereafter reiterate their statement of incapacity (again, in writing) to the House/Senate, then Congress shall decide the issue, with a two-thirds vote of BOTH houses required to remove the President and install the VP as Acting President.

Even if the VP and Cabinet vote and successfully invoke the 25th, all the President needs to do is submit his own statement to the House/Senate to resume his duties until Congress settles the matter.

www.constitution.org
Old 04-03-07, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kinetic
k im confused about something. what country did wayne palmer order the strike against?
I couldn't say, but I'm ordering a strike against the writers of this show.

-ringding-
Old 04-03-07, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lara Means
"it's only a flesh wound."
"Have at you!"

I liked the scene in the bar with the patrons throwing Fayed a beating, but if a nuke went off in your city one morning, would you really spend the evening in the local pub downing a few cold ones?
Old 04-03-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I liked the scene in the bar with the patrons throwing Fayed a beating, but if a nuke went off in your city one morning, would you really spend the evening in the local pub downing a few cold ones?
I'd at least be at one that had chicks at it.
Old 04-03-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
The way i saw it Gredenko wanted to let Fayad in on the setup, (and telling him, he had no choice but to bring them here) having realized he'd rather be with him, and Bauer would probably not honor the deal anyway.

Fayad got pissed for Gredenko bringing CTU there, knew he was being tracked, asked him where the tracker was at, and took care of it.

Then Gredenko is like screw this, I just tried to help Fayad , and he cut my arm off, let me turn on him anyway. With some great bar patron ass kicking.

Old 04-03-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
They're the same guys who golfed by Martha Logan's place a couple hours ago.
Old 04-03-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
From USAToday:
April 2, 2007: The day '24' stood still

Spot on CRITICAL review, pretty much what's been said on the boards.

But then pretty much everything poor Palmer the Younger (an underpowered D.B. Woodside) does epitomizes the season's main problem: We've seen it all before, done better. 24 has simply gone to the same government/business conspiracy well too often, so much so that the quirks and red herrings we used to accept or cherish have begun to grate.
Old 04-03-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Next season: jack solo.

Jack seems like a co-star this year.
Old 04-03-07, 08:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm actually enjoying the "political intrigue" storyline more than the "action" storyline this time around. The character progression of that guy from Dragonslayer in particular.
Old 04-03-07, 08:34 AM

Well, this episode was better than the abortion that was last week's, but as someone said previously, it was too big of a hole to climb out of in one week. Next week with Jack and Doyle in the field together should be better. Som asked why Gredenko turned on Fayed after losing his own arm. Gredenko is out for Gredenko only. He's taking whatever method he can to try and escape. I'm sure he had no intention of going back to CTU custody and he saw his one opportunity to escape...bloody stump or not. Remember, Gredenko's entire plan revolves around screwing up the Arabs/Americans by using Fayed and apparently, it's working, even if he'll never get to see that happen.

Mrs. BD and I were watching last night and I was picking out plot lines that had been harvested from previous seasons. "Chopped off arm. That's season 3." "25th Ammendment Civics Lesson. That's season 2 and 4."
Old 04-03-07, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe

Jack seems like a co-star this year.
EXACTLY!
Old 04-03-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric D.
Only good part of this episode...

Guy at Bar: He shot my friend!
Fayad: I hope your friend is dead.
Jack: Shut up! *kicks Fayad in the face*

That was my favorite part too...

...although the producers missed the gold mine by not having Freddy Cannon's "Palisades Park" as background music when Jack was following Gredenko.

Last night I took a walk after dark
A swingin' place called Palisades Park
To have some fun and see what I could see
Old 04-03-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd watch that!

Old 04-03-07, 08:56 AM

art?
Old 04-03-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts
That was one of the worst episodes of "24" that I've seen. Stupid and unbelievable plot-twists, a decided lack of Jack Bauer, lame supporting performances. I get that they're trying to develop some new characters, but most aren't working. Milo&Nadia
Old 04-03-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I like the Tom Lennox character also. I like Doyle also. Seems like he could be like Jack when it comes to doing whatever it takes to get the job done. I want to see him torture someone.
Old 04-03-07, 09:49 AM

I've been watching 24 since the pilot, blah, blah, blah, one of its biggest fans, blah, blah, blah, worship Jack Bauer as my religion, etc...

...but even I can't defend this show anymore.

Seasons 1 - 5: some of the greatest TV I've ever seen (mixed w/ several laughable moments...no need to go there now though)

In particular, 5 was ace. The best damn season of any TV show ever.

But after a killer first 4 eps, 6 has gone downhill FAST. I may buy that disc containing just the 4-hour premiere but there's no way I'm shelling out for the entire season.

My prediction is the final 8 hours will not save this season. 24 is officially done. I, like many others, will stick around just to see how it ends, but unless the greatest comeback in TV history occurs for season 7, I'm not watching it anymore.
Old 04-03-07, 10:28 AM

I didn't even think the first 4 hours were all that great. A lot of the same old 24 cliches popped up, without anything especially original to keep things fresh: yet more Oval Office intrigue with a President Palmer; an annoying innocent civilian kid gets tangled up with terrorists; more junior high antics at CTU with Morris/Chloe/Milo; Jack is in a funk because of [strike]the death of his wife[/strike], [strike]heroin[/strike] torture; another old favorite was killed off, etc. The episode leading up to the nuke was tense and entertaining enough, but we've seen so many disasters on this show already that it wasn't all that impactful.

It did get much, much worse with the Bauer Family soap opera, though. The show got watchable again for a little while with the return of Logan, but it's back to being utter crap.
Old 04-03-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That was my favorite part too...

...although the producers missed the gold mine by not having Freddy Cannon's "Palisades Park" as background music when Jack was following Gredenko.

or at least The Drifters "Under the Boardwalk"
Old 04-03-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I like the Tom Lennox character also. I like Doyle also. Seems like he could be like Jack when it comes to doing whatever it takes to get the job done. I want to see him torture someone.
Tom Lennox's character is massively surprising to me... he's been the anti-cliche for this season. Virtually every time I've expected him to do something (such as get caught up in the assassination plot, or bungle his way into taking the blame for it), he's managed to avoid the stupid result.
Old 04-03-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
Tom Lennox's character is massively surprising to me... he's been the anti-cliche for this season. Virtually every time I've expected him to do something (such as get caught up in the assassination plot, or bungle his way into taking the blame for it), he's managed to avoid the stupid result.
I'm thinking that if they stick with the president/CTU/government conspiracy style in future seasons, then Lenox will be president.

Ideally though, like others said, drop CTU, the president, the huge MASSIVE threats to every living being on earth and just make a show that puts Jack back at the center.
Old 04-03-07, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
And he's well-acted too...something I didn't expect from that guy from Ghostbusters 2.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.