Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

New Flash Gordon show (movie?) on Sci-Fi ???

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-12-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watching The Lost Room last night on Sci-Fi Channel, I saw a commercial about the shows they had in 2006 and how super-kewl 2007 is going to be "with over 400 hours of original programming". Hope that doesn't cut into their wrestling shows.

They mentioned The Dresden Files, Painkiller Jane, and some other things I remember being announced...

... but they also mentioned Flash Gordon. Now, I remember rumors about a new theatrical film coming soon (2008?) but I don't remember hearing anything about this. Sci-Fi's own site doesn't mention it and a quick internet search turned up empty.

Anyone have the scoop?
Old 12-12-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And is it based on the campy movie version or more faithful?
Old 12-12-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A re imagining of Flash Gordon would be quite welcome! Though I keep hoping somebody will do a "next generation" Space 1999 series.
Old 04-12-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Smallville' Alum Flies to 'Flash Gordon'
Series is aiming for an August premiere

The Sci Fi Channel has made "Flash Gordon" flesh.

"Smallville" actor Eric Johnson will portray the popular adventurer for the network's latest original series "Flash Gordon," based on the 1930s comic book franchise originally drawn by Alex Raymond.

"Flash" will be a contemporary update of the intergalactic exploits of the titular Flash, the lovely Dale Arden and Dr. Hans Zarkov, whose genius and rocket-building capabilities allows the trio to travel among the stars. One of their adventures takes them to the planet Mongo, which is under the domination of the tyrant Ming.

Peter Hume ("Charmed," "Cruel Intentions II") will write the first two episodes, which Rick Rosenthal will direct. Casting for the other parts is currently underway.

Production will begin in May in Canada on the first 22 episodes of the hourlong series, with an eye on an August debut. RHI Entertainment, a producer of Sci Fi's "Legend of Earthsea" miniseries and the upcoming "Tin Man," will produce.

While "Flash Gordon" has been heard as a radio serial and seen on TV and on the big screen in various incarnations, many Gen-Xers fondly remember the campy 1980s Mike Hodges-directed film starring Sam J. Jones as the hero and featuring a stirring soundtrack by Queen.

Johnson, 27, is best known for playing Lana Lang's quarterback boyfriend Whitney Fordman on "Smallville," who had a rivalry with Clark and later died in combat. He's also guest starred on "Criminal Minds," "The Dead Zone," "Ghost Whisperer" and "The Unit."
Old 04-12-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I don't know if this guy has the Flash Gordon persona:

Old 04-12-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Production to begin in May with an August premiere date? Seems like a fast turnaround for a show that should have CGI in addition to your standard postproduction.
Old 04-12-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chew
Production to begin in May with an August premiere date? Seems like a fast turnaround for a show that should have CGI in addition to your standard postproduction.
This is basic cable my friend. This isn't going to cost alot of money. But that's plenty of time. Shooting an ep for a week still leaves months for post-production.
Old 04-12-07, 10:59 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I second DVD Josh on the lack of charisma for the lead actor, but (as shown literally in "Flesh Gordon") Flash is pretty much a tool for the other actors anyway. Hoping for the best ... .
Old 04-12-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RHI Entertainment, a producer of Sci Fi's "Legend of Earthsea" miniseries ...

That is not a good sign.
Old 04-12-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You know who would make a good Flash Gordon? Bruce Campbell, if he were younger. Adrian Grenier might make a good one too.
Old 08-03-07, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Flash Avoids Stereotypes

SCI FI Channel's upcoming reimagined version of Flash Gordon will stay away from the politically incorrect stereotypes that informed the 1930s version, Mark Stern, executive vice president of SCI FI Channel, told reporters last week. Instead, the new series will make the villains more relevant to the present day.

"I think the first thing you do is you completely stay away from any of the race issues," Stern said at a press conference on the set in Vancouver, Canada. "Ming was consciously not an Asian dictator in that really kind of cliché, ridiculous way. We really wanted to go with someone who was actually very charming [and] blond and stay away from what you would think of as this kind of [bald], thin, one-dimensional dictator."

Flash Gordon is based on the King Features Syndicate comic strip, which has been adapted over the years as a film serial, a TV show and feature films. The original villain, "Ming the Merciless," appeared to be a broad stereotype of the Chinese character of Fu Manchu and Asian despots in general.

The new incarnation of Ming will drop the "Merciless" appellation from his name. He will be played by Canadian actor John Ralston, best known for his role as a dad on the Disney Channel series Life With Derek. Stern said that the character will be a more savvy villain, one that modern audiences can recognize.

"Having said that, it's not like now our villains are Arabs," Stern added. "It's really about finding the metaphor, because that's what science fiction is about. It's really not about being literal with it. It's about finding what the allegory is and how to find something that feels like it's dealing with things that we're grappling with today, but not literally. So we basically just ignored all that stuff and really moved into a different direction with it."

Flash Gordon is currently filming its first season of 22 episodes and will premiere on SCI FI Channel in August.

I'm sorry. This smacks of sheer lunacy and self-indulgent insanity. Ming the Merciless has been the same for 70 years. Why must he be changed? It's a COMIC BOOK, for heaven's sake. He's supposed to be the stereotypical evil overlord. How much do you want to bet me that every episode will feature Dale Arden and Princess Aura in their bras and panties, doing some softcore lesbian scene? At least I can change the channel and not watch this crap.

Forgive me, my lord. Hail Ming, Emperor of Mongo! (the real one, that is!)
Old 08-03-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Adrian Grenier might make a good one too.
Sorry - you're on crack. Grenier is too boring and lackadaisical for that part. The promos for this show looked decent. I mean I'll certainly tune in while I wait for a new episode of Doctor Who on Friday nights.
Old 08-03-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Sorry - you're on crack. Grenier is too boring and lackadaisical for that part. The promos for this show looked decent. I mean I'll certainly tune in while I wait for a new episode of Doctor Who on Friday nights.
Welcome to four months ago. Might I suggest that you put down the crack and re-join us in the present?
Old 08-03-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Welcome to four months ago. Might I suggest that you put down the crack and re-join us in the present?
So what? That means you're no longer accountable? Wow - must be a Bush-y.
Old 08-03-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rfduncan
So what? That means you're no longer accountable? Wow - must be a Bush-y.
If the only thing in life I'm accountable for is recommending Adrian Grenier for the part of Flash Gordon in a basic cable remake of a campy sci-fi character, then I must be doing pretty well at everything else.
Old 08-03-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The reviews I have read, unfortunately, are not too good.
We'll have to see.
Old 08-04-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by E. Honda
How much do you want to bet me that every episode will feature Dale Arden and Princess Aura in their bras and panties, doing some softcore lesbian scene?
This might be the only way to keep this turkey on the air!