Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Lost Room

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Lost Room

When homicide detective Joe Miller stumbles upon a seemingly innocuous motel room key, he unlocks the door to a world of unimaginable power and becomes the target of those who will stop at nothing to claim it. The motel room is a treasure trove of seemingly mundane objects, each of which actually possesses a unique power. And as Joe soon discovers, the motel room key is the most potent and coveted object of all. Shadowy organizations dedicated to collecting these charmed objects relentlessly pursue him, hoping to claim the key. When his daughter vanishes inside the motel room, he also becomes the focus of a heated police investigation. Hunted and alone, Joe becomes the central player in a game to which he doesn't know the rules.

After watching the first portion so far I am enjoying it. Haven't seen the rest of it yet but if the first installation and the critics reviews are any indication this looks pretty good.

Last edited by Thrush; 12-12-06 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-12-06, 08:15 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I Tivoed it, will watch over the weekend after all three installments are recorded. Anyone else have any positive or negative reviews?
Old 12-12-06, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It's usually a good idea to include the channel, day, and time this runs, especially for shows no one has ever heard of.
Old 12-12-06, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bandoman
I Tivoed it, will watch over the weekend after all three installments are recorded. Anyone else have any positive or negative reviews?
From USAToday:
For unintentional comedy try The Lost Room (Sci Fi, 9 ET/PT), a
three-night howler about a cop (Peter Krause) in a secret-society
search for magical everyday objects. Try to watch Roger Bart get
all scary with a ballpoint ("Why does he keep clicking that pen,
man?") without bursting into laughter. Go on, I dare you.
Granted, the same reviewer stated the truly awful adaption of Year Without a Santa Claus was "entertaining".
Old 12-12-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm... I put on the 11pm re-run last night as I was falling asleep and ended up watching the whole thing. So far, I'm enjoying it.

(Sci-Fi re-runs Part 1 tonight at 7pm, right before the 9pm airing of Part 2. They also run all 3 parts in a row on 12/17. Check the online schedule.)

The Boston Globe review also takes the approach that it (a) wasn't good and (b) is unintentionally funny:
http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles..._in_lost_room/

Don't know what to say I liked it enough to watch Part 2+3, and I'm not afraid to give up on bad sci-fi shows.
Old 12-12-06, 10:38 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Even if it's bad, it might be the good kind of bad.
Old 12-12-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, I guess no one else watched this, huh?

I certainly remember a bit more interest in Taken. And even last year's The Triangle thread at least had a pulse.
Old 12-12-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was pretty good so far and it was intentionally funny in a variety of parts, so I don't see where they're getting the unintentionally funny bit from. Seemed pretty obvious that some of it was meant to be funny and it wasn't by accident.
Old 12-12-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched the show and thoroughly enjoyed it. I guess I can understand what the reviewers mean by "unintentionally funny". But come on, it's a Sc-Fi show. You have to suspend some beliefs when watching sci-fi tv. I don't think any of the "objects" were particularly funny – just weird. I can’t wait to see how it all plays out.

It was stated there might be hundreds of objects. This could keep the show going for a long time. I would like to see an episode of a person figuring out an “object’s” power. I hope they don’t stretch out the “I have to find my daughter” plot too long. Or is that the main point of the show? I hope the main point is to find all of the objects and figure out what groups are also searching.
Old 12-12-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joefrog91
It was stated there might be hundreds of objects. This could keep the show going for a long time. I would like to see an episode of a person figuring out an “object’s” power. I hope they don’t stretch out the “I have to find my daughter” plot too long. Or is that the main point of the show? I hope the main point is to find all of the objects and figure out what groups are also searching.
It's only a 3-night thing, so I assume the daughter plot is the main point of this and will be resolved on Wed. night at the end of the miniseries.

The other stuff is probably peripheral and may not be resolved. But I also noticed the same thing you did -- with 100+ objects (and various combinations of those objects), you could pretty easily make an ongoing show out of this. I'd guess that Sci-Fi would at least set it up for the possibility, if this gets solid ratings.

However (and I'll spoilerize this theory):
Spoiler:
I'm thinking that the way to get his daughter back is to collect *all* of the objects and put them back in the room. Which may provide a pretty rock-solid ending to the whole thing

Either way, I think this is much more entertaining and well-written than the reviews give it credit for. I especially like the various groups that have applied religious signficance to the room -- and how those views differ with each other (some sects see the objects as evil that must be destroyed, others see them as divine objects to speak w/God). Seemed to actually be a pretty realistic approach to a fantastic subject.

Again, I was pleasantly surprised with the first night. I don't quite get the 'so bad it's laughable' aspect that the reviews are stressing. Especially when you compare this to the other piece-of-crap TV miniseries that get aired, this seems downright entertaining and clever. I'm looking forward to tonight.
Old 12-12-06, 02:30 PM

I watched and I liked it.
Old 12-12-06, 03:26 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
DVR'd it. Will watch it all at one time, maybe on Sunday.
Old 12-12-06, 10:06 PM
Mod Emeritus

I've now seen 1 & 2 and liked them both quite a bit. The series offers a good mix of things and the presentation feels very "fresh" to me.
Old 12-12-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
It's only a 3-night thing, so I assume the daughter plot is the main point of this and will be resolved on Wed. night at the end of the miniseries.

The other stuff is probably peripheral and may not be resolved. But I also noticed the same thing you did -- with 100+ objects (and various combinations of those objects), you could pretty easily make an ongoing show out of this. I'd guess that Sci-Fi would at least set it up for the possibility, if this gets solid ratings.

However (and I'll spoilerize this theory):
Spoiler:
I'm thinking that the way to get his daughter back is to collect *all* of the objects and put them back in the room. Which may provide a pretty rock-solid ending to the whole thing

Either way, I think this is much more entertaining and well-written than the reviews give it credit for. I especially like the various groups that have applied religious signficance to the room -- and how those views differ with each other (some sects see the objects as evil that must be destroyed, others see them as divine objects to speak w/God). Seemed to actually be a pretty realistic approach to a fantastic subject.

Again, I was pleasantly surprised with the first night. I don't quite get the 'so bad it's laughable' aspect that the reviews are stressing. Especially when you compare this to the other piece-of-crap TV miniseries that get aired, this seems downright entertaining and clever. I'm looking forward to tonight.
Oh, I didn't realize it was only for 3 nights. I hope they make it a regular series. I'd like to see if they can find all of the objects.
Old 12-13-06, 11:06 AM

I watched part 1 this morning. Now I'm wishing I had time for part 2. I loved the part with the guy with the bus ticket. "I damn you to hell." Or something like that.
Old 12-13-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm recording this and will watch it this weekend, but I never realized how Peter Krause's last name was pronounced until the ads for this started airing.
Old 12-13-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My world view is crumbling.

Which object from the room do you think Hammer acquired that's allowing Sci-Fi to air a miniseries that doesn't suck?

das
Old 12-13-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm a big Peter Krause fan and am really digging this series.

I just can't buy him as a police detective/tough guy, though. Nate Fisher, come back to us!!
Old 12-13-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
My world view is crumbling.

Which object from the room do you think Hammer acquired that's allowing Sci-Fi to air a miniseries that doesn't suck?

das
Ain't that the truth. I'm enjoying it so far (just finished part one). Did anyone else get a Friday the 13th the series vibe?
Old 12-13-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

SciFi miniseries are generally decent-to-good -- Dune, Children of Dune, Battlestar Galactica, Triangle. It's the "SciFi Originals" (which are really straigt to video schlock that SciFi liscences) that suck.
Old 12-14-06, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
We're in the process of moving this week, so I put my DVR at my sister-in-law's place in order to record this. Sounds like I'm going to have some catching up to do during the Christmas break.
Old 12-14-06, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I watched parts 1 and 2 last night, and I was entertained enough to actually want to see how it all plays out. I'll check out the final chapter tonight...

Sure, plenty of dumb parts (you discover a key that opens a door to a mysterious room and one of the first things you is go to a Penn State football game?) but the whole mix-and-match powers of the objects is interesting.

I like the concept, and there certainly seems to be enough wiggle room to build a series around it if the ratings push Sc-Fi in that direction.
Old 12-14-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After watching the final part. I really enjoyed it. It was surprisingly well done, as far as Sci Fi minis go.

The ending definitely leaves open the possibility for this to become a regular series. I think it would make for an interesting show................

Spoiler:
With Joe now becoming the "Occupant" and being for all intents and purposes immortal. He can now sense the objects and control them to some degree. He would be useful to the Legion in battling against the Order for control over the objects.

I wonder what the ratings were.

Last edited by Thrush; 12-14-06 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-14-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I was more enthusiastic about this series after the first two parts, a little less so after the final epsisode. Still, I did enjoy it.

But ... it definitely seemed to be a mix of ideas and/or images from all sorts of places. A bunch of strangers, each with a distinct ability (granted, because of the "object" they have) had an echo of HEROES; the door standing in the middle of Carl's living room sure looked a lot like a Kubrick monolith, and it was impossible not to think of Alice In Wonderland/i>.
Old 12-14-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Way too many loose threads for Sci-Fi channel not to make this a weekly series. If they don't, then they are just plain dumb. The Sci-Fi original movies suck ass. Oops! I better not say that. The movie I helped make might show up there one day. That or the B-Movie channel.

But serioiusly, this show deserves to be made into an ongoing series.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.