Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

O'Reilly Vs. Letterman 10/28/06

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
There's no way that everybody is going to like one person no matter what.
Thanks for clearing that up.

But the majority sure like O'Reilly and I stated a few of the reasons why I do.
The majority? Of Americans? Of people who live on the planet? Any evidence that the majority likes him? The majority of his viewers or conservatives do, but that's about as far as you can go with that.
Old 10-29-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's a shame that everything that is immoral or bad is usally supported by "the majority" of liberals as freedom.
Aren't you embarrassed at all about making a statement like that?

Rather than find common ground, you seek to vilify a large cross section of the population. Painting them all with a single brush stroke. This is the same witch hunt mentality that created the "Axis of Evil".
Old 10-29-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For my daily dose of right-wing politics i prefer watching Elisabeth on The View,least shes cute
Old 10-29-06, 02:58 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It seems like Dave was trying too hard to be Jon Stewart. Stewart can usually channel his disagreements into humor, but Dave came off as sour here trying to do the same thing.
Old 10-29-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ayre

Rather than find common ground, you seek to vilify a large cross section of the population. Painting them all with a single brush stroke. This is the same witch hunt mentality that created the "Axis of Evil".
It's also kind of scary and pathetic that certain people want to define what is immoral and/or bad for all of us.
Old 10-29-06, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,149 Posts
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
The majority? Of Americans? Of people who live on the planet? Any evidence that the majority likes him? The majority of his viewers or conservatives do, but that's about as far as you can go with that.

I seriously doubt it's the "majority", but I'm pretty sure it's far more then you'd like to admit too.
Old 10-29-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ayre

Oh please, both sides paint each other in this way. Don't pretend that it's only one particualr group. This is why Americans are so fed up with Dems, Repubs, and all their loyal "Kool Aid Drinker" fanbases.

Back on topic...

Bill is a dickweed and Letterman is better than this.
Old 10-30-06, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Oh please, both sides paint each other in this way. Don't pretend that it's only one particualr group. This is why Americans are so fed up with Dems, Repubs, and all their loyal "Kool Aid Drinker" fanbases.
Nowhere did Ayre say that this was exclusive to one group, so what purpose did your statement serve other than to attempt to paint Ayre in a bad light by insinuating that he/she did make the claim?

THAT is the behavior that people are fed up with - subtley twisting what someone says into a lie.
Old 10-30-06, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Nowhere did Ayre say that this was exclusive to one group, so what purpose did your statement serve other than to attempt to paint Ayre in a bad light by insinuating that he/she did make the claim?

THAT is the behavior that people are fed up with - subtley twisting what someone says into a lie.
Oh stop it. I don't "insinuate" anything nor am I "subtle" in my posts.

I mean give me break MovieExchange. If that's how you would like to TWIST things then so be it. I never said Ayre said it was exclusive to one group and I meant the statement in General. It was not NOT pointed at one group over any other. Both sides are guilty of painting with broad brushes.
Old 10-30-06, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Oh stop it. I don't "insinuate" anything nor am I "subtle" in my posts.

I mean give me break MovieExchange. If that's how you would like to TWIST things then so be it. I never said Ayre said it was exclusive to one group and I meant the statement in General. It was not NOT pointed at one group over any other. Both sides are guilty of painting with broad brushes.

Your words - "Don't pretend that it's only one particualr group."

Where did Ayre say that it was only one group? Whether you meant it or not, you used a typical political tactic of replying in a way that insinuated that the person said something other than what they said. And as I said, that is what the American people are sick of.

At best, assuming you meant no malice (which, if you say you didn't, I believe that), your response classifies as the playground defense, the common child's claim of "but he did it" when used to justify a wrongdoing. Instead of agreeing that what wm lopez said was wrong, you instead had to complain that people on the other side do the same thing. Why can't you just agree that what he said was wrong instead of attacking the person that was calling him on it?
Old 10-30-06, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Your words - "Don't pretend that it's only one particualr group."

Where did Ayre say that it was only one group? Whether you meant it or not, you used a typical political tactic of replying in a way that insinuated that the person said something other than what they said. And as I said, that is what the American people are sick of.

I gave you my answer.

At best, assuming you meant no malice (which, if you say you didn't, I believe that), your response classifies as the playground defense, the common child's claim of "but he did it" when used to justify a wrongdoing. Instead of agreeing that what wm lopez said was wrong, you instead had to complain that people on the other side do the same thing. Why can't you just agree that what he said was wrong instead of attacking the person that was calling him on it?
Now I'm a kid on the playground. I was not attacking Ayre so please don't pull that shit ok? Talk about "twisting" things...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-30-06 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-30-06, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
O'Reilly reported when the 9/11 victims weren't getting the money that we the public had donated when all those hollywood stars were asking us for. He did have some of the victims on his show and said so. He reports on these judges who let child molestors off with 3 month sentences.
He reports on how the ACLU defends the NAMBLA org and the captured terrorists.
And how the ACLU doesn't want people searched on N.Y. subways, but people searched when they come into the ACLU building.
And O'Reilly is a bad guy?
He is to a liberal!
Old 10-30-06, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
It's also kind of scary and pathetic that certain people want to define what is immoral and/or bad for all of us.
Why? Child molesting is immoral for all of us. Is it not? Is it wrong to call out child molesters?

What about people who want to kill others because they drew a cartoon that offended them? Or because they're of a different religion? Is that not wrong? Why is it scary and pathetic to define that as immoral?
Old 10-30-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Why? Child molesting is immoral for all of us. Is it not? Is it wrong to call out child molesters?

What about people who want to kill others because they drew a cartoon that offended them? Or because they're of a different religion? Is that not wrong? Why is it scary and pathetic to define that as immoral?
Liberals consider child molesting and killing others over cartoons to be freedom? When did this happen? Did I miss a memo?

It's scary to define it as "immoral", though, because the context is ill-defined. "Morality" is in the eye of the religion of the beholder. It's not like "thou shalt not abuse children" is one of (either set of) the commandments. Or even criticized in the bible (or Koran).

The people who DO think it's in the public interest to kill over cartoons do it specifically because they consider it to be upholding morality. The "freedom" of the first amendment is, by a certain mindset, in itself "immoral."
Old 10-30-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wergo
Liberals consider child molesting and killing others over cartoons to be freedom? When did this happen? Did I miss a memo?

It's scary to define it as "immoral", though, because the context is ill-defined. "Morality" is in the eye of the religion of the beholder. It's not like "thou shalt not abuse children" is one of (either set of) the commandments. Or even criticized in the bible (or Koran).

The people who DO think it's in the public interest to kill over cartoons do it specifically because they consider it to be upholding morality. The "freedom" of the first amendment is, by a certain mindset, in itself "immoral."
Wow! I'm shocked that anyone would agree with or defend those types of people.

Where did I mention freedom or the first amendment though? Is this where my words are going to get twisted?

I was talking morality. Like I said (and I'm repeating myself), that most (sane) people (conservatives and liberals, atheists and believers) would consider murdering someone over a cartoon or molesting a child to be immoral.
Old 10-30-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
The thing that pisses me off is these guys (O'Reilley, his liberal counterpart on MSNBCNBCNN, etc) is they are dividing the country. It used to be most people agreed on some things and disagreed on others, but used decent common sense. Now it seems you have to agree with everything one party stands for and everything the other party stands for is wrong. So much so that they seem to go out of their way to DISAGREE. And these guys (BOTH sides) are making a disgusting profit off of it.

When did the Republicans become uber-conservative, big government, oppressive evil devils? And at what point, exactly, did Democrats become fruitcake, pussified, do no harm to anyone, take it up the ass hippies?

Why can't I want to capture Osama Bin Laden despite other countries protests but at the same time want out of Iraq? The Bush administration is fucking the Constitution up the ass but at the same time I think that something needs to be done about illegal immigration and soon. (But pot should be legal) According to O'Reilly, that makes me an idiot. I'd probably get the same from the other guy. (Olberman, is that it?)

It scares me that both sides seem to think you have to stick to your party line and anything else makes you un-American*. It's that kind of thinking that makes you un-American!!

*Edit: Even scarier is Christianity sneaking its way into it, so now not only are you un-American but you're a heathen, as well. Vote this way or you're damned to an eternity in hell!

Last edited by shaun3000; 10-30-06 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-30-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Talk about taking things to an extreme!

Another "wow"!

shaun3000, I don't think you've really heard/seen/listened to O'Reilly. You get alot more about him listening to his radio show. He's so independent, it's almost nauseating.
Old 10-30-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
O'Reilly reported when the 9/11 victims weren't getting the money that we the public had donated when all those hollywood stars were asking us for. He did have some of the victims on his show and said so. He reports on these judges who let child molestors off with 3 month sentences.
He reports on how the ACLU defends the NAMBLA org and the captured terrorists.
And how the ACLU doesn't want people searched on N.Y. subways, but people searched when they come into the ACLU building.
And O'Reilly is a bad guy?
Excellent post. It's for reasons like these that I find O'Reilly's show interesting. He is very opinionated, but I don't see how that makes him unlikable. You're never going to agree with someone 100% of the time. Sometimes when he interrupts his guests it bugs me, but that's another debate. I often wonder if everyone hates him because (A) it's "cool" to hate him, and (B) they have never watched his show.
Old 10-30-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Phod
Most people who think O'Reilly is an ass think Keith Olbermann is awesome.

Nothing else needs to be said.

When Letteman takes potshots at people like Farrah Fawcett and the like, it is schtick. But when he gets conservatives on, he becomes particularly mean and vindictive, while his guest seldom, if ever, takes the opportunity to respond in kind. Letterman cloaks it all with his "I'm just a dopey joke teller" bit while pretending to know all about why his guest is full of it. It is painful to watch this very ugly side of a guy who has otherwise entertained me for decades.
Old 10-30-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Talk about taking things to an extreme!

Another "wow"!

shaun3000, I don't think you've really heard/seen/listened to O'Reilly. You get alot more about him listening to his radio show. He's so independent, it's almost nauseating.
I don't watch any of them that much. From what I have seen of O'Reilly, he seems very conservative and more or less kisses other conservative's asses, and he seems to really dislike anyone with a more liberal point of view.
Old 10-30-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shaun3000
I don't watch any of them that much. From what I have seen of O'Reilly, he seems very conservative and more or less kisses other conservative's asses, and he seems to really dislike anyone with a more liberal point of view.
Well then you need to see/listen more (he has more time on his radio show to talk about things than he does his tv show).
Old 10-30-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Needle

When Letteman takes potshots at people like Farrah Fawcett and the like, it is schtick. But when he gets conservatives on, he becomes particularly mean and vindictive, while his guest seldom, if ever, takes the opportunity to respond in kind. Letterman cloaks it all with his "I'm just a dopey joke teller" bit while pretending to know all about why his guest is full of it. It is painful to watch this very ugly side of a guy who has otherwise entertained me for decades.
This is so true, and I just don't understand why Letterman takes the bait when Conservatives are on. He is such a better interviewer then Leno, and he will always raz a guest like Katie Holmes, "Do you know you are taller then Tom?" But he gets a conservative on and he just loses it and is just angry the whole interview, and sadly it was very unfunny the other night.
Old 10-30-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well then you need to see/listen more (he has more time on his radio show to talk about things than he does his tv show).
OK, well I wasn't singling him out though you seem to be defending just him. Would you agree, regardless of if you like the guy or not, that all of the O'Reilly Factor type shows, liberal, conservative, whatever, are doing more harm than good by polarizing our country?
Old 10-30-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow! I'm shocked that anyone would agree with or defend those types of people.

Where did I mention freedom or the first amendment though? Is this where my words are going to get twisted?

I was talking morality. Like I said (and I'm repeating myself), that most (sane) people (conservatives and liberals, atheists and believers) would consider murdering someone over a cartoon or molesting a child to be immoral.
What types of people? You gave two extreme examples of things that I've never heard a single liberal defend.

Freedom of the first amendment? You didn't mention it, I did. As an extreme example of something those who would kill anyone who publishes a catoon depicting the prophet Mohammed would consider to be immoral.

My problem with your statement is that you use the term "morality" without bothering to define it, or give it context. It's certainly not biblical morality. Or are you suggesting that morality is based solely on what one arbitratry person does or does not approve of? When you use a term like "immoral" you're invoking a higher authority than yourself, or the legal institutions currently in place. I'm willing to agree that it's wrong and that it's illegal. But that's as far as I'm willing to go.
Old 10-30-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is no room in Bill O'Reilleys world for people like me, who arent defined by left or right..but by each issue individually. I cant stand people like him who talk over you, like being LOUDER makes you right, or call you a "Fox hater" if you disagree with him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.