Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Battlestar Galactica - "Collaborators" - 10/27/06

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great ep. Only complaint is that it seemed forced how Starbuck suddenly happened to mention the yellow dog bowl right before they were gonna shoot Gaeda out the airlock, thus sparing his life. Why didn't Gaeda just tell everyone up front after they ungagged him? Just because he told Starbuck earlier?
Old 10-28-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Tigh's development - hell, all of the characters' development - has been superbly written. We haven't seen Tigh take a drink in quite a few episodes, I wonder if he quit and is focusing his energy on revenge, or whether he is still secretly tipping the bottle.
I thought it was pretty obvious that he was at least tipsy when he confronted Gaida.

I wonder how Adama is going to feel about Tigh being part of the secret jury. He obviously wasn't thrilled with the idea.
Old 10-28-06, 06:42 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Well, Adama could be pissed at Tigh, but Tigh WAS acting legally under the orders of the Pres... sooooooo.......
Old 10-28-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
and the pardon seemed to piss Adama off
not as much as the secret tribunal but it was clear from the look on his face he didn't think the collaborators should get off scott free
Old 10-28-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehunt
and the pardon seemed to piss Adama off
not as much as the secret tribunal but it was clear from the look on his face he didn't think the collaborators should get off scott free

I dont know that he was that pissed about the pardon. I think because he didnt live down on the planet with all the people that he probably has a diffrent oppinion then most of the people.
Old 10-28-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another excellent episode.

This one was pretty much action free...which is fine after Exodus part 2. Lot's of character development and introspection in this one and not much else. I like that this show takes the time to address how previous episodes affect characters and how the interact.

The only character that doesn't feel 'right' to me is Starbuck. She's never been the most rational gal, but she's just acting ridiculous at this point.

I was pretty much convinced that Jammer was a cylon...guess not. I mean, he still could be, but there wouldn't be any narrative point for it now.

Keep jumping.
Old 10-28-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Well, Adama could be pissed at Tigh, but Tigh WAS acting legally under the orders of the Pres... sooooooo.......
Was he, though? If your commander gives you unlawful orders, you can be prosecuted for following them.
Old 10-29-06, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
The only character that doesn't feel 'right' to me is Starbuck. She's never been the most rational gal, but she's just acting ridiculous at this point.
Well, she did spend four months being held captive by a horny Cylon. That's probably going to mess he up some. She also seems to have a bit of a drinking problem, and she was abused as a child.
Old 10-29-06, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Why didn't Gaeda just tell everyone up front after they ungagged him? Just because he told Starbuck earlier?
Listen to the podcast. Gaeta HAD been trying to tell his story to anyone who was listening. He'd basically given up, because no one believed him. Remember, only one other person knew the specifics of the deaddrop, and that was Tyrol. But neither Gaeta nor Tyrol knew who they were dealing with.

My wife felt she was actually quite accomodating to warn her hubby to leave her alone, considering the mind (and whatever else) screw she'd been through for the past few months....

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 10-29-06 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-29-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Listen to the podcast. Gaeta HAD been trying to tell his story to anyone who was listening. He'd basically given up, because no one believed him.
I shouldn't have to listen to the podcast to find something like that out.

Personally I think it works better as shown. Gaeta comes across like Oskar Schindler at the end of Schindler's List, torn up with guilt because all his efforts weren't enough. But if Moore & co. wanted us to know that Gaeta had been telling everyone about what he did, they need to show him, you know, telling people. As is, we only saw him tell Kara when she confronted him directly.
Old 10-29-06, 09:23 AM

I shouldn't have to listen to the podcast to find something like that out.
I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I figured that Gaeta had been telling people. When he tells Starbuck about the dead drops and the dog bowl, he delivers the lines in this sort of exasperated way, like he's been reciting it over and over.
Old 10-29-06, 10:26 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Personally I think it works better as shown. Gaeta comes across like Oskar Schindler at the end of Schindler's List, torn up with guilt because all his efforts weren't enough. But if Moore & co. wanted us to know that Gaeta had been telling everyone about what he did, they need to show him, you know, telling people. As is, we only saw him tell Kara when she confronted him directly.

I can understand why they might not actually want to show Gaeta constantly telling people:
- the audience might get tired of Gaeta saying the same thing over and over again and actually turn on him
- as shown, he's more noble. If they made a bigger deal of his ordeal, the payoff in the way it currently ends would have been anticlimatic.

Of course, you're right in that it could have been as easy as adding a few words to Gaeta's lines to get the same point across. I'm in the same boat as you were in that I thought Gaeta was consumed by guilt, and quietly suffered in it as penance.

Another reason is that they just didn't get the idea across as they hoped, or maybe it was suppose to be something more nuanced.

As for the podcasts, they aren't actually "necessary". However, Ron Moore is pretty frank about things they failed at getting across, and occasionally he explains something and I'll have to admit didn't seem like he got what he was looking to do across on the screen. Still, I occasionally listen to the podcasts at work even without the show in front of me, because there's plenty of other interesting info about the show in general (as well as possible alternative ideas to a scenes, etc.).
I actually don't have the patience to sit and listen to commentary, and only listened to the podcasts at work for something different, and was shocked how I enjoyed it even as I was entering data into Excel
Old 10-29-06, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by N2DVD
Remember, only one other person knew the specifics of the deaddrop, and that was Tyrol. But neither Gaeta nor Tyrol knew who they were dealing with.
Which begs the question how the deaddrop even began in the first place. Either Gaeta knew whose dog that was and left a note under it the first time he turned it over and therefore would have known to appeal to Tyrol or the two had to have had a conversation about how to communicate. I just find it very hard to believe this was arranged without someone knowing the source. I guess you could explain it that maybe Duck knew about Gaeta, but I feel that the whole arrangement was a little too convenient within the confines of the show. But it made for a good episode after the exodus.
Old 10-29-06, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Which begs the question how the deaddrop even began in the first place. Either Gaeta knew whose dog that was and left a note under it the first time he turned it over and therefore would have known to appeal to Tyrol or the two had to have had a conversation about how to communicate. I just find it very hard to believe this was arranged without someone knowing the source. I guess you could explain it that maybe Duck knew about Gaeta, but I feel that the whole arrangement was a little too convenient within the confines of the show. But it made for a good episode after the exodus.
Wasn't the area where the dead drop took place where Tyrol and Saul and all the other Galactica crew lived? If there was a resistance, you can pretty much bet that they're in on it. All Gaeta would have to do is keep flipping the dog bowl and putting his info away and eventually they resistance would be able to put two and two together.
Old 10-29-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by greydt
As for the podcasts, they aren't actually "necessary". However, Ron Moore is pretty frank about things they failed at getting across, and occasionally he explains something and I'll have to admit didn't seem like he got what he was looking to do across on the screen.
How spoilery would you say the podcasts are? I'd love to give them a listen, but I'm the sort who doesn't watch the previews, and I close my eyes during the opening when the drumbeats start.
Old 10-29-06, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kitkat
I close my eyes during the opening when the drumbeats start.
I do that, too.

Isn't it stupid that we have to do that? Has there ever been a good explanation as to why they show tidbits from the show you are about to watch in the opening titles?
Old 10-29-06, 01:00 PM

I also look away during the drumbeat parts because I'm a bit of a spoilerphobe. I'm not sure why they do it, other than to show you cool parts of the episode to get you pumped up for it. Some shows in the '80s (like Magnum, P.I.) used to do stuff like that before the opening credits.

As for the podcasts, I haven't listened to every single one, but RDM does occasionally hint at upcoming episodes. Nothing really outright spoilery, but enough to make me want to delay listening to each new one for a couple of weeks.
Old 10-29-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vinhj
Wasn't the area where the dead drop took place where Tyrol and Saul and all the other Galactica crew lived? If there was a resistance, you can pretty much bet that they're in on it. All Gaeta would have to do is keep flipping the dog bowl and putting his info away and eventually they resistance would be able to put two and two together.
Yes, but how does the first flipped over dog bowl indicate to the owner that he/she should go look in this special drawer for inside information. The best we can assume is the first dog bowl flip included instructions for future drops. That's my point, we just don't know. But, it seems awfully dangerous for the resistance to blindly accept that whatever they were getting was safe and not a series of small things that would ultimately lead to an ambush of some sort.
Old 10-29-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Great episode. I guess the break up of Starbuck and whats his name leads the way for her to start banging Lee.
Old 10-29-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Great episode. I guess the break up of Starbuck and whats his name leads the way for her to start banging Lee.
Lee is married to Dee now.
Old 10-29-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And Startbuck just wants to hurt people right now.
Old 10-29-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Didn't catch if they addressed this or not: did the revelation of Zarek's authorization of the secret jury cost him the VP position Rosilind promised him? I hope not ... I like the prospects of the character working with the more "established" leadership.
Old 10-29-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brainee
Didn't catch if they addressed this or not: did the revelation of Zarek's authorization of the secret jury cost him the VP position Rosilind promised him? I hope not ... I like the prospects of the character working with the more "established" leadership.
I was wondering the same thing. It seemed like they kinda rushed things at the end, with the secret jury being discovered by Adama, Zarek taking the responsibility for it, and then Roslin being sworn in as president, without us finding out what the implications were for Zarek or the secret jury members.
Old 10-29-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

...I'm the sort who doesn't watch the previews, and I close my eyes during the opening when the drumbeats start.
Glad I'm not the only one. My fiance thinks I'm silly for doing it.
Old 10-30-06, 12:41 AM
Cool New Member

I'm the sort who doesn't watch the previews, and I close my eyes during the opening when the drumbeats start.
I do the same thing, I either close my eyes, or put my foot up and try to block it out that way. I don't want to know whats coming it ruins the suspense.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.