Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Battlestar Galactica to NBC as midseason replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
I don't buy it either. Is there even a precedent for that sort of thing? (cable to network?)
USA's Monk was shown on network TV. Pollitically Incorrect was on Comedy Centeral before going to ABC for a few years until the host said something like America is the coward & terrorists were the brave ones after 9/11.
Old 10-10-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by resinrats
Pollitically Incorrect was on Comedy Centeral before going to ABC for a few years until the host said something like America is the coward & terrorists were the brave ones after 9/11.
Just to give the full context of the comments:

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,8886,00.html
Old 10-10-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
The only good thing that could come of it is that NBC would give it a much higher budget, and we'd get even better effects and production design.
Old 10-10-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
The only good thing that could come of it is that NBC would give it a much higher budget, and we'd get even better effects and production design.
Honestly, I don't know how they could be much "better". The lower-budget has forced some creative thinking which has defined the style of the show. I would hope they wouldn't change that.
Old 10-10-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by resinrats
USA's Monk was shown on network TV. Pollitically Incorrect was on Comedy Centeral before going to ABC for a few years until the host said something like America is the coward & terrorists were the brave ones after 9/11.

Yeah, that's exactly what he said.
Old 10-10-06, 05:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet

Yeah, that's exactly what he said.

It seems to me that resinrats specifically stated that the host said "something like that", not "exactly".
Old 10-10-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
I think the look of the show (effects, production design, etc.) are *perfect* as is. It really has a nice, cinematic look.
Old 10-10-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heard on TVguide channel that ratings were down for this premier vs. the season 2 premier. 3.1M --> 2.9M

Doubt that bodes well for the move...though I must say that it would be really cool if they started from season 1 on NBC primetime, sort of like syndication.
Old 10-10-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the stakes here are pretty low for the show. If it's a big hit, you can guess that the budgets and episode orders will increase. If it isn't, I think it will continue as is on SciFi. I don't think NBC is going to air it, watch it tank, and cancel it from both networks.
Old 10-10-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my guess for the drop people were expecting it to be on nbc not scifi
Old 10-10-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Heard on TVguide channel that ratings were down for this premier vs. the season 2 premier. 3.1M --> 2.9M

Doubt that bodes well for the move...though I must say that it would be really cool if they started from season 1 on NBC primetime, sort of like syndication.
Yes, but if you look at the more important DVD Talk post count rating, you'll see that posting in the Season 3 Premier thread is up over 80% from posting in the Season 2 Premier thread and climbing. 65 posts --> 118 posts
Old 10-11-06, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently, it's all in the way you spin it:

Building on the summer ratings heat that brought SCI FI more than 15 million new viewers via its original series 'Eureka,' 'Who Wants to Be A Superhero?' and 'ECW,' the Channel kicked off the fall with the hotly-anticipated season 3 premiere of 'Battlestar Galactica' (October 6, 9-11pm ET/PT). In the face of stiff competition, the two-hour opener was the #1 cable series of the night. And in combination with its lead-ins, 'Heroes' (rebroadcast @ 7pm) and 'Doctor Who' (new episode at 8pm), SCI FI reasserted its dominance on Friday nights, with triple-digit demo increases vs. 4Q05.

The 'Galactica' season 3 premiere delivered a 1.8 HH rating with 2.2 million total viewers (P2+) - out-delivering its season 2.5 average in total viewers (+2%), P25-54 (+7%) and P18-49 (1.4 million, +4%).

SCI FI's 7pm-11pm SCI FI Friday lineup averaged a 1.4 HH rating, 1.7 million total viewers (P2+), 1.2 million P25-54s and 1.0 million P18-49s. Compared to the same time period last year (4Q05), this reflects increases of:

+93% in P2+

+75% in HH Ratings

+120% in P25-54

+134% in P18-49
Old 10-11-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wonder how Doctor Who did.
No matter how good BG is, this wont do well on NBC. It's too dark for most.
Old 10-26-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rather than start a new thread, I'm bumping an old one.

It seems the rumors that NBC is thinking of picking up and running “Battlestar Galactica” have been around since the show’s second season. So, it’s not surprising to hear this rumor come up again.

What is surprising is how much closer to reality it is than it has been in the past.

The difference?

The looming writers strike.

With the strike looking more and more like a reality with each passing day, the networks could soon face a dilemma–no new shows or content to fill the airwaves. They could offer us all multiple repeats of shows, but it looks like NBC/Universal is looking to take a different route.

NBC is looking to draw upon the original series produced by NBC/Universal for its various cable holdings and networks.

This means that NBC could pick up and run such cable hits as “Battlestar Galactica” or “The 4400″ should the writers strike become a reality. SyFy Portal reports that NBC is considering picking up and running “Batttlestar” should the writers strike happen. No word yet on if NBC will start at the beginning and run the entire series or may pick and choose episodes to show its audience. In my opinion picking and choosing episodes would be the worst move that they could make for BSG.

Of course, the dark side to this news is that should the writers strike happen, it will cause delays in the production of the fourth season of “Battlestar Galactica” and lead to the inevitable wait until 2009 or even as late as 2010 for the final ten episodes.

So, it’s good news and bad news for “Galactica” fans.
http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2007/10/...g-move-to-nbc/

Here's hoping the strike doesn't happen!
Old 10-26-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Crap, only 10 episodes of the final season? I am halfway done with the final ep of Season 3 (Jamie B's performance on the stand was amazing), and can't wait for the rest of the series.
Old 10-26-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Crap, only 10 episodes of the final season? I am halfway done with the final ep of Season 3 (Jamie B's performance on the stand was amazing), and can't wait for the rest of the series.
Just think of what those of us who saw that episode back in March are going through!
Old 10-26-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I think that means they've finish production on all but the final 10 episodes of season 4 not that season 4 only has 10 episodes, no?
Old 10-26-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'd heard the last season was only ten episodes.
Old 10-26-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The final season is now reported to be 20 episodes:
As previously reported, one of the dilemmas facing the SCI-FI Channel at this time is whether or not the final season of Battlestar Galactica should be split into two ten-episode blocks. Apparently, the network is taking so long to decide because of “the money people,” as one executive put it.

A large portion of the network's programming budget is allotted for Battlestar Galactica, consequently forcing the network to consider spreading the final edition across two seasons. However, executive producer Ron Moore has been lax about this issue.

“It doesn't affect my job either way, since we're shooting it straight through,” Moore said. “It might be better to get it all done [in the same year] for the fans so they don't have to wait.”

Judging by what a source close to the project said, Moore's sentiment of airing Battlestar Galactica's final season in the same year may prove to be the best move for the network. According to the source, “when people see the ending of the 10th episode, they're gonna freak out,” and should the network decide to go ahead and split the season into two blocks, fans will be left hanging in the air yet again after a year of waiting for the series to return. Viewers have also been eager to catch the two-hour made-for-tv stand-alone movie, Razor.

The network is hoping to reach a final decision by January. One of the key factors is figuring out which new shows will be well-suited to accompany Battlestar Galactica, and how much those shows will cost.

One of the shows being considered is the Caprica spin-off series. Network executives believe the spin-off may help retain and expand the loyal Battlestar Galactica fan base, and are even considering a two-hour pilot similar to that of Razor. Should the pilot perform poorly, it will subsequently be sold as a DVD to make up for the losses. On the other hand, should the pilot do well, the network will have a new series to serve up.

At present, Moore is working on another sci-fi production, a “companion piece” to John Carpenter's 1982 film, The Thing, which is being produced by Universal.
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/batt...ica-11321.aspx
Old 10-26-07, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Frankly, I think NBC would have done better to run BSG from the beginning this year on NBC rather than develop the mediocre Bionic Woman. I don't dislike Bionic Woman, but I've only bothered to watch it on NBC.com, and honestly, the more I reflect, I feel it isn't of the necessary calliber for a prime network. Something just feels off.
Old 10-26-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
So according to this article on the Hollywood Reporter, it's not scheduled to return until April 2008!!

Did I miss something here? Wasn't it suppose to come back in January?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...2262244c0d86ff
Old 10-26-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
So according to this article on the Hollywood Reporter, it's not scheduled to return until April 2008!!

They kept saying "2008", which everyone assumed to mean January since the show had been off the air since March, and couldn't believe any sane person would keep it off the air that long, but this is SciFi we're dealing with.

This isn't even just killing the goose that laid the golden egg, it's calling it names, insulting it's mother, violating it with a broomstick, then killing it, burning it, and urinating on the ashes.
Old 10-29-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya

Wow. I wish I had spread out the seasons better than. I ran through all three plus the MS in about 2 months expecting it to come back in Jan.

S3 finale was incredible. Although, I had a feeling that was the twist when they all started to hear the music.
Old 10-29-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
So what's with all the ads stating BG returns Nov. 24? Is that just a movie or the new season?
Old 10-29-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rw2516
So what's with all the ads stating BG returns Nov. 24? Is that just a movie or the new season?
That is Razor.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.