Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Battlestar Galactica to NBC as midseason replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Damn I don't like this at all. (except for HD) I just don't see it fitting well at NBC. Kinda reminds me of V, and we know how long that lasted. I read some rumors somewhere, that even the Sci Fi channel was looking to change its name and content also? Is Universal just planning major shake up?
Old 10-09-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really don't think that this is a good idea because while the show is unbelievibly successful on the Sci-Fi channel, amazing raitings for Sci-Fi is HORRIBLE for NBC... and i don't know how the show will compete, especially if their start directly with season four...
Old 10-09-06, 05:21 PM

Don't like this at all. They move it to NBC, there's no way the show stays the same...it will get "dumbed down" and edited to be more family friendly.
Old 10-09-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up. NBC, please don't fuck this series up.
Old 10-09-06, 07:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Except Galactica is dark and cutting edge, while Heroes is more mainstream and a bit cartoonish.
das
Have you been watching Heroes? It's easily the most violent show on the networks right now. If NBC has the balls to run that at 8 p.m.--pierced abdomens, broken necks, decomposed corpses and dismembered bodies, all--I don't fear that they'll make BG any less dark and edgy than it is now. Worst case scenario: they tone down the rather explicit sex of BG. No big loss, that.
Old 10-09-06, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TimeandTide

Have you been watching Heroes? It's easily the most violent show on the networks right now.
Have you been watching the other shows on the networks right now? It's a bit graphic, but no more than your average "follow the evidence" show, and it's really not that violent. Maybe in upcoming episodes, but not yet.

In any case, I was talking about the thematic difference between the two and their niche appeal. Galactica is thematically very dark, and not in some generic "fate of the world" kind of way, but at the intense personal level that really strikes a chord with viewers. It's dark and depressing and relentless, and your average network viewer isn't up for that.

das
Old 10-09-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
If anything BSG would be edited for sexual content, not violence, since we know all the fanatics in the country never complain about violence when filing frivolous indecency claims.
Old 10-09-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Ugh, I hope this isn't true. I can't see BSG staying on the air on NBC for more than half a season.
I agree. People arent going to watch it. I've been reading article after article about how mainstream audiences arent watching this show. Suddenly this is going to change their minds?
Hey NBC, how about creating something new or...putting Scrubs back on??
Old 10-09-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Where's this explicit sexual content that you guys are talking about? There's nothing on Battlestar Galactica that you can't show on a network tv show. Have any of you seen NYPD Blue?
Old 10-09-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Right, the NYPD Blue that for many years had episodes that tens of affiliates refused to carry due to content.

In Dallas, damn near the entire first season wasn't carried by the ABC affilliate.
Old 10-10-06, 03:23 AM

Right, the NYPD Blue that for many years had episodes that tens of affiliates refused to carry due to content.
That this was pre-Janet Jackson
Old 10-10-06, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Have you been watching the other shows on the networks right now? It's a bit graphic, but no more than your average "follow the evidence" show, and it's really not that violent. Maybe in upcoming episodes, but not yet.

In any case, I was talking about the thematic difference between the two and their niche appeal. Galactica is thematically very dark, and not in some generic "fate of the world" kind of way, but at the intense personal level that really strikes a chord with viewers. It's dark and depressing and relentless, and your average network viewer isn't up for that.

das
You're right. Admittedly, I've only seen one ep. of CSI so my exposure to network TV violence is limited to the bizarro-cases-of-the-week on Grey's Anatomy.
Old 10-10-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by boogieman03
Hopefully they start it from the beginning, so I can jump in.
That's what I was thinking. I was going to rent the DVD's, but I would prefer to watch them in all of their HD glory.
Old 10-10-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I missed jumping in on the beginning for some reason so I'll check this out if they start airing episodes from the start of the show.
Old 10-10-06, 09:08 AM
Banned

How perfect. I started watching the first season on DVD a few weeks ago and am more than half way through it. If they start on NBC from the beginning I will be way ahead and if they jump in now, I'll be way behind.

Frack.
Old 10-10-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tv Squad Shoots down the rumor

Of course, it could be a smoke screen until the actual announcement, if there is one.
Old 10-10-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Have you been watching Heroes? It's easily the most violent show on the networks right now. If NBC has the balls to run that at 8 p.m.--pierced abdomens, broken necks, decomposed corpses and dismembered bodies, all--I don't fear that they'll make BG any less dark and edgy than it is now. Worst case scenario: they tone down the rather explicit sex of BG. No big loss, that.
For some reason, das has a tremendeous bug up his ass about HEROS
Old 10-10-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
For some reason, das has a tremendeous bug up his ass about HEROS
Probably because it's a tremendously silly show that people are treating as a masterpiece.
Old 10-10-06, 01:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll give try and give it some positive spin:

NBC has got a pretty good head of development right now, Kevin Reilly I think is his name, there have been some very decent 2005/2006 shows that have come from NBC (office, earl, heroes, FNL, Studio 60, Kidnapped) if it were any of the other networks, I would have more fear, but NBC actually has a lot to lose screwing this show up.

The press has never been better, great reviews for season 3 kickoff, an EW cover, and generally good buzz across the board. Easily makes this one of the more attractive shows on the network.

Why would thy mess with it? They will alienate the core rabid audience, for the sake of dumbing it down? They would likley lose the writers and creators then.

Did Sorkin dumb down Studio 60? He has a pretty long leash, I would expect the same with this show.

If the ratings tank, its back to the minor leagues at Sci-Fi, I would not see it being outright cancelled.

If its a hit, we'll see the show live in HD, and get a few more solid seasons out of it.

It's year 3, how many good years are possibly left in it anyway?
Let's see if they can cross over, in some ways, maybe this move will make the show try and prove they are not going to jake it.
Old 10-10-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Probably because it's a tremendously silly show that people are treating as a masterpiece.
Hyperbole anyone? What about the internet makes people generate these extremes. "tremendously silly" and "Masterpiece". Heroes is fun. Silly? Scrubs is silly. Ugly Betty is silly. Who wants to be a Superhero? is silly.

Heroes, certainly is unbelievable and fails many plot device tests. In a season that has spawned numerous arc failures, I am personally thankful that we got this one tremendously silly masterpiece ... errrrr fun show.

BSG will fail on NBC, because very few people will take the time to figure it out. BSG demands that the viewer be patient. Do you think that the average TV viewer will research past arcs to figure out what is going on?
Old 10-10-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Hopefully they start it from the beginning, so I can jump in.
Old 10-10-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ayre
Hyperbole anyone? What about the internet makes people generate these extremes. "tremendously silly" and "Masterpiece". Heroes is fun. Silly? Scrubs is silly. Ugly Betty is silly. Who wants to be a Superhero? is silly.
I watch and enjoy Heroes. Silly is not necessarily bad.

About the only thing Heroes and BSG have in common is that they're both "genre" shows, whatever that means. Heroes is a perfect translation of a superhero comic, in that it's shallow and straightforward. BSG is a much more adult show.
Old 10-10-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NBC better demand that Muffit be put in the series. Less human Cylons and more robot Cylons. New version of old theme insead of moaning song. At least one space battle an episode.

Spin-off series= Law and Order: By Your Command
Old 10-10-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apparently it is not happening, or they are keeping news about this extremely close to the vest:

http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/10/10/wi...a-jump-to-nbc/

Originally Posted by the article
However, a little phone call over to NBC Universal shoots down that rumor. Jessica Nevarez in the publicity department tells us, "It is an online rumor that someone started and it is absolutely false."
Old 10-10-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't buy it either. Is there even a precedent for that sort of thing? (cable to network?)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.