Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

10/05/06 - The Office - "The Coup" + new Shrute Space

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,363 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Not being very good at 1st person shooter games myself, I can totally feel for Jim being stuck in the corner and being unable to find his way out...it's amazing how fast you can get turned around and lost in those games.

Jan: "How do you know I wear Liz Claiborn?"
Dwigt: "It's part of my job"
Jan: "It is officially NOT part of your job."
Old 10-05-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Achtung
Oh man, I totally need a screencap of Dwight with the "Liar" sign.

Here are a few of my lmao moments from this episode:

How does watching a movie help? ---- They work faster after. ----Magically? ---- No, they have to to make up for the time that they lost from watching the movie.

"What? You were at the dentist?"

"I'M GONNA KILL YOU FOR REAL! I'm really going to shoot you!"

That scene with Michael/Dwight when Dwight comes back was one of the best scenes on the show ever. Every scene of the two together tonight was fantastic, even better than usual if you ask me.

"Hug it out bitch."
Old 10-05-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is crazy about Pam getting new clothes, because I was thinking ( durring the credits ) if she wore anything other that striped blouses.
Old 10-05-06, 11:07 PM

Received 856 Likes on 559 Posts
Hearing Angela say the words "grow a pair" were really out of character, but had me .
Old 10-05-06, 11:07 PM
Banned

That Indian chick is ultra annoying. Get rid of her and that annoying douche that works with Jim.
Old 10-05-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice to see Dwight has taken a page from the Jimmy James book of Table Manners Intimidation. And the gleeful pause that Michael gave when he made the "branch" pun was priceless. I still can't decide whether Rashida Jones is hot or not. Sometimes when the light hits her wrong she's a little too much Quincy and not enough Peggy Lipton.
Old 10-05-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, Jim would be really proud of Michael. I hope we see Michael telling Jim what he did to Dwight sometime soon.
Old 10-06-06, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 214 Posts
Anyone else think this is the beginning of the end for Dwangela?
Old 10-06-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Anyone else think this is the beginning of the end for Dwangela?
Nah, they are too kinky for each other. At least I hope they don't break up
Old 10-06-06, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
The girl behind Jim doing the heavy metal devil horns and saying "Call of Duty!!!" busted me up. I played that part back three times and it got me every time.
Old 10-06-06, 01:00 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 283 Likes on 216 Posts
The Michael/Dwight scenes were great.

I liked when Pam called Kelly to tell her about the clothes and she just stuck the phone and you could hear her screaming
Old 10-06-06, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
I don't know. I think this was probably the worst episode of the series thus far. And it's not because it wasn't funny. I did laugh out loud at least as often as last week(Creed staring at Pam and the Michael going Ari on Dwight at the end were both classic moments).

It just didn't feel like The Office to me. A lot of the cast seemed too over-the-top and out of character. And what the hell was up with the rival branch having a LAN party in the middle of a work day? Aren't these people supposed to be working hard to avoid being merged with another branch? And the chick behind Jim was really annoyed by him 2 weeks ago but looks at him longingly all day long now? Wow, I guess putting a bullet between his eyes in Call of Duty really does it for her.
I have to agree. The last two eps have seemed off to me. The humor and the characters have seemed forced in a way that the show had really mostly avoided until just recently.

I think part of that may be the dynamic of not actually having Jim in the Scranton branch. The contrast between his normalcy and Michael and Dwight's lunacy is a really important part of what makes the show work so well, and when he's not there it just doesn't seem to be as funny. And when the show ventures outside of the Scranton office setting, it also seems to lose something.

And I also agree that the Stamford office guys playing COD all day long while a documentary crew is obviously filming them really stretches the bounds of believability. I could see something like that going on in Scranton because Michael is so obviously clueless (although even there it's a bit unbelievable that people would screw off all day long while they were being filmed - ie "Office Olympics"). But the impression is that Stamford is a much better run division than Scranton, so this does seem a tad absurd.
Old 10-06-06, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Luther Heggs
Nice to see Dwight has taken a page from the Jimmy James book of Table Manners Intimidation.
Yep, that was great.
Old 10-06-06, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Achtung
Something was off about Michael in that episode though. He came off as much smarter in getting Dwight into the right position and then turning the tables on him. It was very un-Michael, even if it was great to see Dwight's reaction.
I didn't see it that way at all. I saw it as Michael trying a bit of reverse psychology on Dwight, hoping he would admit to talking to Jan behind his back, but Dwight didn't bite. So Michael had to go along with it for a bit, until he realized that it was going too far and he was really going to get into trouble if he let it go on, so he pretended it was all a setup to bust Dwight.

I was dying when Creed was just standing over Pam. "I'm not finished yet."
Old 10-06-06, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Something felt "off" about this episode, which kept me from really enjoying it, and I think it was Jan. It just seemed out-of-character for her to agree to meeting Dwight out of the way over something that might be trivial for all she knows. He WAS acting a little melodramatic over the phone, after all.

I would've expected her to just sigh, and tell him to go back to work and register his complaint to Toby, since he IS both Human Resources and part of corporate.

Other than that, there were some fun moments--Call of Duty, the "Entourage" references and more Creed weirdness. But overall, a slight letdown from the past two episodes.

One question, though: when Dwight was outside pacing and muttering to himself, is it possible for the "viewer" to hear that? I imagine he still has his microphone pack on, but would the camera crew still be able to pick the sound up? Just wondering.

Last edited by GreenVulture; 10-06-06 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-06-06, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that it has been clear since she slept with Michael that Jan is part of the problem this company is facing. She's no better at her job than Michael is at his. Getting lured in by outlet shopping to wait for Dwight is just another sign that she sucks just as much as the rest of the management does.
Old 10-06-06, 04:23 AM
Banned

Rashida Jones is too hot to have a crush on Jim. She is really leagues above Pam.

EDIT: ok...Rashida and the actor that plays Jim dated in real life...

Last edited by Alliant; 10-06-06 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-06-06, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
For some reason, when Dwight's telling Michael he'll do his laundry, Michael saying he has a 'laundry machine' just made me crack up.
Loved that line.

Dwight's coup immediately brought to mind:

Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most.
Old 10-06-06, 05:47 AM

Here it is, fixed.

Old 10-06-06, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
One question, though: when Dwight was outside pacing and muttering to himself, is it possible for the "viewer" to hear that? I imagine he still has his microphone pack on, but would the camera crew still be able to pick the sound up? Just wondering.
If you're asking if a real camera crew could pick up audio from his mic from where they were... then the answer is "probably." The strength of wireless mics now are pretty damn good.
Old 10-06-06, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay episode. Loved the Call of Duty stuff. Didn't really like all the stuff between Michael and Dwight though. Well, the Liar sign was pretty damn funny.

Loved the meeting over COD though. Sniper Riffle
Old 10-06-06, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 291 Likes on 185 Posts
Varsity Blues + Dwight wanting Michael's job = missed opportunity to use "I don't want... your life"
Old 10-06-06, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 199 Likes on 164 Posts
Can we put a disclaimer in the title to avoid the first page and a half of the thread due to discussion not pertaining to this week's episode? Thanks.

Old 10-06-06, 07:25 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
The Indian chick is a writer too?
She is probably the most annoying character on there. They should kill her off and then she can just keep writing.
Fashion show!
Fashion show!
Fashion show at lunch!
Fashion show!
Fashion show!
Fashion show at lunch!
Old 10-06-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Believe me at my office we have an annoying loudmouth like Kelly. That is what makes the show so cool, all the people you know you have at your job.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.