Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

10/05/06 - The Office - "The Coup" + new Shrute Space

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Barings

He needs to take tips from Dwight -- that was a pure power play move the way he stared down Jan while he was putting syrup on and then cutting up his pancakes.
Umm, yeah. How'd that work out for him?
Old 10-07-06, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
His mistake was using utensils. If he graduated from the Jimmy James school, he would have used his bare hands.
Old 10-07-06, 11:55 PM

Just wondering if anyone has bought The Office 16 Month 2007 Wall Calendar from the NBC website and if it's any good? I was going to order it, but as of now it's backordered.
Old 10-08-06, 04:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lordwow
As opposed to the girl playing Call of Duty?
If you are being serious...

First of all, it was a team building exercise in an office.

Second of all, playing computer games in the year 2006 does not make one a dork or geek considering the amount of non-nerds who are addicted to World of Warcraft, Starcraft, and Counter-strike.
Old 10-08-06, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by monkyskunk
Just wondering if anyone has bought The Office 16 Month 2007 Wall Calendar from the NBC website and if it's any good? I was going to order it, but as of now it's backordered.
I think somebody mentioned seeing it at Target.
Old 10-08-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You know, the Halloween episode is just around the corner, how will Dwigt dress up as "Michael's little bitch"?
Old 10-08-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think what may have been making people feel uncomfortable, but made the episode for me, was that Michael and Dwight were being pushed into behaving the way that, realistically, two characters in their positions should have been acting all the time.
Spoiler:
A manager as incompetent as Michael comes off to his employees is ultimately going to have that one employee who goes over his head to upper management to spill the beans. And a real manager is going to have to come down on any employee who tries to usurp his power like that. The uncomfortable part is that neither Dwight nor Michael WANT to play those roles, though they clearly can do so quite naturally when push comes to shove. However, as the opportunity presents itself, they will opt to return to the roles that they prefer to play than the ones that they clearly could play better.

And I agree with the poster who indicated that the "Call of Duty" stuff at Stamford was indicative of just how screwed up the whole company really is. Josh is clearly not better than Michael at his job, he just does it differently and, when in a room with Michael and the others, seems a better boss than they. But, when it comes down to it, he can screw around and suck up to his employees just as much as any of the others. Jan, herself, despite the confident, strict airs she puts on, is clearly not a good boss. She will have stern talking-tos with her employees, but she clearly should have made some personnel changes long ago and hasn't. I see a number of supervisors of this type at my own workplace. She talks a good game, but she has the power to make the necessary changes and, for one reason or another, just won't do it. In many ways, that makes her even worse than Michael.
Old 10-08-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, and I just had a chance to watch the deleted scenes:
Spoiler:
The last scene with Jan at the Stamford branch just goes to reinforce what a bad manager she is. She's clearly playing favorites. She comes down on Michael at Scranton for "Movie Monday", but she's quite tolerant of Josh letting his entire office spend work time playing "Call of Duty". Why? Probably because Josh is able to come up with an excuse for the screwing off that she can find a way to justify. Also, Josh is less socially stunted than Michael, so she just plain likes him better, though she clearly is drawn to Michael in a masochistic way that disturbs even her. And sharing tales of private meetings with employees as she offered to do with Jim about Dwight? You could do that with other management personnel, but you don't spread those to other people in the office like that. I can't believe Jim would feel comfortable taking any private complaints to a manager whom he knows cannot maintain confidentiality.
Old 10-08-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by monkyskunk
yeah, it's a 16 month calendar (started in Sept.) and is at Target (and it's cheaper than online). I picked one up for my mom.
Old 10-08-06, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF
Getting job-related tips from Dwight would be a lot like getting dating tips from Mark Foley.
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Jeez, I thought the tone of the comment was obvious, but next time I'll be sure to include a or a . As an aside, the Pam versus Karen poll is up for the next two weeks.
Old 10-08-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

by the way, this is one of the pictures from the calendar:

Old 10-08-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Super X
Oh, and I just had a chance to watch the deleted scenes:
Spoiler:
The last scene with Jan at the Stamford branch just goes to reinforce what a bad manager she is. She's clearly playing favorites. She comes down on Michael at Scranton for "Movie Monday", but she's quite tolerant of Josh letting his entire office spend work time playing "Call of Duty". Why? Probably because Josh is able to come up with an excuse for the screwing off that she can find a way to justify. Also, Josh is less socially stunted than Michael, so she just plain likes him better, though she clearly is drawn to Michael in a masochistic way that disturbs even her. And sharing tales of private meetings with employees as she offered to do with Jim about Dwight? You could do that with other management personnel, but you don't spread those to other people in the office like that. I can't believe Jim would feel comfortable taking any private complaints to a manager whom he knows cannot maintain confidentiality.
I watched them too. The deleted scenes are consistently funny on this show. It's too bad they can't all be "supersized episodes".

I liked the scene with Michael recapping a Grey's Anatomy episode to Pam. I don't even watch the show, but the McDreamy bit gave it away. As for Jan, yeah that was a little bizarre how she seemed to have no issue with the Call of Duty tournament in the office. Did anyone catch Karen's nickname in the game? "Karen the JimKiller".
Old 10-08-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
The deleted scene of Creed
Spoiler:
living at the office
was absolutely hilarious! I don't see how that great scene didn't make final cut of the show! (Just hope they revisit that subject again in a future episode.)
Old 10-08-06, 01:52 PM

Rashida Jones is also the girl who played Karen Scarfoli from Freaks and Geeks. She was Kim Kelly's friend who picked on Sam in that one episode and wrote GEEK on his locker.