Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friday Night Lights--'Pilot'--10/03/2006

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Was the fullback's slutty girlfriend, Kristen Cavalri (sp?) from laguna beach?
Old 10-06-06, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boogieman03
Was the fullback's slutty girlfriend, Kristen Cavalri (sp?) from laguna beach?
I'm happyily ignorant of anything associated with that 'show', however, the girl in question is an actual actress (Adrianne Palicki).

Last edited by meritocracy; 10-06-06 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-06-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man, some of you guys are harsh. Why not give it at least a few episodes before you start dismissing it as garbage? I agree that the pilot was pretty cliches, but it did have some good aspects, I thought. I thought the acting was good, and I liked the way it was shot. I'm a huge fan of the book, and I really liked the movie as well, so I feel some affection for this show based solely on that. I liked it enough to give it a chance, but I agree that it needs to be a bit more original.
Old 10-07-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the interest of full disclosure, I hate sports, especially football. But I love a good drama, and I read all the praise for this show so I decided to give it a shot.

That all said, I hated this show. Ironically, I think I enjoyed the football scenes more than the drama, which is funny since I hate football. I think the only time I was interested was at the end when they came back to win the game.

I really hated the faux cinema-verite film style of the pilot. It just did not work with the subject matter. It came across as being too artsy-fartsy and I don't think people who like that style would be interested in this show and vice-versa. I actually think this would be a better show if it was a WB-style teen drama, with the football team as the backdrop.

Also, as a pilot episode it sucked. They really did not establish many of the characters which is what a pilot should do. The one character I found interesting was the star quarterback so I was shocked that they ended up with him laid up in the hospital like that. I am not sure what they can do with a character that will be bed-ridden. They should have waited until at least mid-season or the season finale to injure him like that. They really shot blew their wad too early with that storyline.

Instead of spending more time establishing characters and plotlines, the pilot episode had this long pointless football montage in the middle of the episode. That just seemed like a time-filler, and lazy writing.

And what was up with that one kid who looked like Matt Damon with a missing chromosome? Scary.
Old 10-07-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts
I thought this one was OK. I didn't think it lived up to all the hype, but I thought it felt very true to how things are in Texas, where football is king. But that being said, I live in small-town Texas and am not a huge football fan, so I'm not completely sure I want to watch every week on TV what I see every week around me anyway.
Old 10-08-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Having grew up in a small town like that in Florida and being one of the captains on the team, this show was pretty bad...Im sorry, nothing was realistic at all. First off, if the star player actualy acted like that, no one on the team would have supported him and the coach would not have played him. I mean I told my wife at the beginning of the show, the quarterback will get hurt, the back up will come in and lead them to a come from behind in the 4th qtr, and guess what?

Now the show 2-a-days, although a corny-ass MTV reality show, is 1000 times better than this and NBC should have just put that on besides this dreck.
Old 10-08-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't necessarily mind that the back-up QB came in...while cliche, hey, it DOES happen. I just would've much more liked for them to lose the game.
Old 10-08-06, 01:57 PM

I liked it more than I thought it would. I'm definitely watching next week. I've always thought Kyle Chandler was a solid actor.
Old 10-08-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Whenever I see Kyle Chandler I now think of
Spoiler:
pink mist.
Old 10-09-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not that good. Some of the stuff is cheesy like the backup qb saying he never gets to play blah blah and insinuates he's not that good. Then when he gets in they announce he's a sophomore. Well duh, first game of his soph season of course he's never played varsity football.
Old 10-09-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dcswirl
I liked it more than I thought it would. I'm definitely watching next week. I've always thought Kyle Chandler was a solid actor.
My love for Kyle is what's going to keep me watching. He's just too good not to watch.
Old 10-10-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
finally got around to watching this last night.

I liked it, but i had two complaints.

1) i don't think the starting QB should have gotten injured in the first game. This isn't a movie. you don't need to have something so altering happen in the first episode. if they were going to have him get injured, i think it should have been game # 3 or 4.

2) well, they decided to injure the starting QB, so of course we see the backup. would have liked it better if they lost, and then grew from that. we're supposed to believe that a guy that throws the ball off his own teammmates helmet can be poised enough to avoid 3-4 guys chasing him down and throw a 30-40 yard strike down the field?
Old 08-21-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
After hearing all of the positive references to this show in other threads over the past few years I decided to check this out (Netflix 'Watch Now' - quality has improved too).

I didn't think it was bad, but I have a feeling it didn't receive the largest budget when pilot season came around. Perhaps season 2 will pick up in production quality, but I'm suspect since it always seemed like a bubble show.

I thought it was interesting that it has more of a documentary feel than a traditional scripted show. Probably the only scenes that felt really scripted were the burger joint and the car dealership.

I agree that the QB injury followed by the back-up could seen miles aways, but I still was in a little suspense. I too thought they were going to go with the upset and follow the coach's downfall. I think it would have been more compelling and fuel character development over the rest of the season.

I probably won't rush through the rest of S1, but I'll probably finish it up when I have some time to catch an episode here and there.
Old 08-22-08, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts
Finish the season and then come back and post your thoughts.
Old 08-22-08, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,731 Likes on 2,678 Posts
Agree, reserve your judgment until you finish the remaining 21 episodes, then post your critique. There is alot more plot/storyline you need to experience 1st.
Old 08-22-08, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Sounds good. I was a little surprised on the negative feedback up thread based on the positive word of mouth in various other threads.
Old 08-22-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Reading back over the thread, there are a good half dozen people that hated this show. I wonder how many stuck with it and are still with us.
Old 08-23-08, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 242 Posts
I still have season 1 in my DVDs to be watched pile. Blind bought it cheap because of all the raves here at DVD Talk. So many DVDs, so little time...
Old 08-23-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I still have season 1 in my DVDs to be watched pile. Blind bought it cheap because of all the raves here at DVD Talk. So many DVDs, so little time...
Make time. This one is kinda like 24. You turn on one episode but end up watching the whole disc. Oh, and don't read this thread.
Old 08-23-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Make time. This one is kinda like 24. You turn on one episode but end up watching the whole disc. Oh, and don't read this thread.
Yeah, I actually hadn't read any of this thread...just the last post or two when I saw it bumped. And your advice is what's kept me from watching the show yet....I've had an hour or two available here or there to start it, but thought I better have a larger block of time ready.