Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Race 10 -- "Oh, Wow! It's Like One of Those Things..." -- 10/01/06

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which team will be eliminated tonight?
David and Mary (Married Couple)
7.14%
Duke and Lauren (Father and Daughter)
14.29%
Dustin & Kandice (Beauty Contestants)
0%
Lyn and Karlyn (Single Moms)
35.71%
Peter & Sarah (Dating)
14.29%
Rob & Kimberly (Dating)
7.14%
Tom & Terry (Gay Couple)
7.14%
Tyler and James (Models)
0%
Erwin and Godwin (Brothers)
7.14%
Non elimination
7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

The Amazing Race 10 -- "Oh, Wow! It's Like One of Those Things..." -- 10/01/06

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-06, 11:38 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
That scene with the Vietnamese woman having the driver drop her off on Duke's dime was pretty funny
Old 10-01-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pwned!
Old 10-02-06, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
Duke did himself in when he took that Vietnamese woman to "help'? him. That cost him so much time, and then having to walk when everyone else took the 2 dollar cab ride. What did he gain from having that woman with him?
It didn't matter in the end (unless they could have saved some cab fare by not taking that woman) because they all ended up on the third bus to the village. What did them in was getting separated from the rest of the pack and not finding the coal making task. They probably wandered for a while until they stumbled onto the bird cage task. I think they were far behind after that.

Man, I thought the Cho brothers were gone after saying it's didn't matter if they won the race because they got to run it together as brothers. doh!
Old 10-02-06, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"It's like Frogger, dude!"

(Dated reference lost on younger viewers.)
Old 10-02-06, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Boring episode - the tasks were lame.
I agree.

As somebody indicated in the previous threads, I can't believe what a bitch Mary is towards Dave. The guy is talking about his dad and his tour in the Vietnam war while driving, and all you hear in the back, is her yelling for him to drive faster because other cars are passing them. She acts like the nicest woman in front of strangers but treats her husband like shit.
Old 10-02-06, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Wishing Tom and Terry had blown it with the penalty. Oh well.
Old 10-02-06, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I also thought that this episode was extremely boring. I am not so sure that it was just the fault of the tasks though, as none of the teams are especially captivating either.
Old 10-02-06, 08:15 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
In the earlier interviews when they were showing David and Mary, I was wondering why his face was covered with coal. "Did CBS think we'd forget he was a coal-miner, so they made him smear it on for the interview?" Then, when I saw the detour it all fell into place.
Old 10-02-06, 10:32 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't find the episode lackluster. Things I found interesting:
- The twist of not giving teams money at the start. Possibly cost Duke & Lauren since they had to walk 1.5 kilometers or miles to a task. Might have got on an earlier bus otherwise since they sold the flowers quickly.
- The Vietnamese woman surprising Duke & Lauren by having the cab go to her brother's house first.
- Peter & Sarah getting on the wrong bus and going from first to last, but then making up time to finish in the middle.
- The time penalty for T&T at the finish made that more tense with the on-screen clock counting down.
- Peter marching through the rice paddy oblivious to Sarah behind him who seemed to be having problems sinking in.

Overall, I'm liking this season because there are more physically challenging tasks than in recent seasons. I also like how they reversed the direction of the race by going to China first. I'll admit that in many past seasons I've had more of a rooting interest in one or more teams, but these teams are holding my interest. Of course, if either of a couple of teams I won't mention win the race I'll chalk it up as a terrible season.
Old 10-02-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
What was up with the foreheads getting all pissy at the beauty queens at the travel agency? They had a shot at that agent but passed on her. Too bad.
Old 10-02-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have to say most of those teams showed no respect last night.

That's why I'm now going for the Asian team followed by the gay couple.

They were the only teams that stoped for any length of time to show respect. The Asian team had a nice moment of silence.
Old 10-02-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by SunMonkey
Wishing Tom and Terry had blown it
Please, DON'T go there.
Old 10-02-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by saoirse

That's why I'm now going for the Asian team followed by the gay couple.

They were the only teams that stoped for any length of time to show respect. The Asian team had a nice moment of silence.
You expect them to stop in the middle of a race?
Old 10-02-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
You expect them to stop in the middle of a race?
For a minute? I sure do. The asians did and it didn't affect their result. Just being in a race does not mean people have to be jackasses.
Old 10-02-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by saoirse
For a minute? I sure do. The asians did and it didn't affect their result. Just being in a race does not mean people have to be jackasses.
I don't think not bowing down to a jacket makes you a jackass.
Old 10-02-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim
- Peter marching through the rice paddy oblivious to Sarah behind him who seemed to be having problems sinking in.
I felt bad for thinking this, but when they showed Sarah having a hard time crawling on the rice paddys, my mind had a mental image of Gollum leading the Hobbits through the marsh.

Old 10-02-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I realize that the teams that did stop to say a word or two or observe a moment of silence were doing it as a tribute to all of the men who suffered in that place but I couldn't help but wonder what percentage of the teams didn't know that John McCain wasn't in fact dead.

I thought it was in poor taste to make the Hanoi Hilton a featured stop in a trivial game show. What's next, find the clue at Dachau?
Old 10-02-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mugwump
I

I thought it was in poor taste to make the Hanoi Hilton a featured stop in a trivial game show. What's next, find the clue at Dachau?
Apparantly it's a museum now so I don't see the problem. A lot of historical landmarks have some type of unsettling past.
Old 10-02-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Apparantly it's a museum now so I don't see the problem. A lot of historical landmarks have some type of unsettling past.
Actually, that's what I found quite shocking. The Vietnamese have actually set up a museum in Hanoi that graphically depicts the horrific conditions that American POWs had to endure? Wow.

Last edited by Flave; 10-02-06 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-02-06, 01:23 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
A couple of seasons ago when they were in Africa, they had the racers go to a building that had been used to house slaves prior to shipment across the Atlantic. Same deal as here. I think it's a good thing -- it probably got a lot of the teams giving some thought to the sacrifices our servicemen made in Viet Nam, teams that otherwise wouldn't have thought about it.
Old 10-02-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was wondering if John McCain had ever been back to see that museum and his old flight suit. That would be surreal.

I have to say, seeing his flight suit and the horrific conditions he had to endure adds an ironic twist to the "Mission Accomplished" flight suit.
Old 10-02-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ep was alright. Though I wish the gay team had been eleminated. The size of that "bitches" head must be about 48 lbs.

Sucks to see the lesbian go... she was the hottest chick on there!
Old 10-02-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
"It's like Frogger, dude!"

(Dated reference lost on younger viewers.)
Oh, I think they still have Frogger. Of course, I don't think it's anything like the game we played way back when.
Old 10-02-06, 03:16 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
yeah I'd have loved to see the gays gone, they are v.annoying.
Duke creeps me out a little bit, when he touched her face at the end she looked like she was thinking wtf!

I laughed at Sara not being able to cross the paddy fields, and like others have mentioned they have been to other places like the hanoi hilton.
Robben Island for example where Mandela was held captive for years.

I like david and mary at this point, i'd be surprised if they win, but they are good people.
Old 10-02-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Tom and Terry should have received a longer time penalty than they did (30mins) for going on the motorscooters. In Season 2, Heather and Eve received a 37 minute time penalty for taking a taxi instead of walking to the pitstop. The 30 minutes was the time penalty and the 7 minutes was the time it would have taken to walk to the pitstop. I think, Tom and Terry should have received something similar as it would have taken some time to walk the 1.5 km to the cluebox.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.