Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The King of Queens starring Kevin James, Leah Remini, Jerry Stiller on CBS

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 08:54 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Fat? Really huge? Due to her recent pregnancy, she's gained maybe twenty pounds since the show started, that's hardly obese. Your post is exactly the reason why actresses like Mischa Barton and the Olsen Skeletwins eat two crackers and then purge.
The average weight gain during a pregnancy for a thin woman below her optimum weight is 25 to 35 pounds. If she weighed about 110 before the pregnancy, she would have been in the 135 to 145 range when she gave birth 7 month ago.

Based on her outfits, mostly dark sweats, in the show as of yesterday, I'd guess she hasn't put too much effort into losing the weight.
Old 01-27-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I posted in a thread a while back that on an interview with ET (or some similar show), she said that she is trying to lose the weight, but she is more concerned with taking care of her baby first and foremost, so she is not losing the weight as quickly as she would like.
Old 01-27-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From the looks of the size of her ass in those sweats in last night's show, she seems to have gained a lot more then 20-25 lbs.
Old 01-27-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil L.
From the looks of the size of her ass in those sweats in last night's show, she seems to have gained a lot more then 20-25 lbs.
agreed. it looks more like 50-60lbs.

although maybe its that "the camera adds 10lbs and now they're just using 5 extra cameras.
Old 01-27-05, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by movieking
I posted in a thread a while back that on an interview with ET (or some similar show), she said that she is trying to lose the weight, but she is more concerned with taking care of her baby first and foremost, so she is not losing the weight as quickly as she would like.
as quickly? She looks exactly the same in the middle of this season's eps as she did at the end of last season - is it really that hard to find 20-30 minutes in the morning to do a little cardio?

Sounds like someone is taking their career, and it's perpetuity, for granted.
Old 01-27-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who cares if she's a little heavier?
Old 01-27-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by The Exister
Who cares if she's a little heavier?
I do, for one (and again, for clarification, I would not deem it "a little"). There was something funnier about the goofy fat guy and the cranky hot, thin wife. Now that she's big too, it just doesn't seem as funny to me. Yes, some of the jokes seem redone too, and maybe it just SEEMS less funny to me because she's not nearly as attractive as she used to be, but oh well.

This used to be one of my favorite shows but it's just not anymore.
Old 01-27-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
anyone think they have been sort of mean to each other in most of the eps this season?

most of the story lines seem to be how much they can do to get on the other's nerves.

not funny.

they look like they're headed for divorce going by thhis season stories.
Old 01-27-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm more concerned that James gained (what looks to be) all of his weight back that he lost last year. Remini has put on the weight, but Christ, give her a while to take care of it. Not everyone can lose that much weight in a few months.

No doubt she looked better before, but if we're going to dwell on the appearance of the two leads, at least they look more like they belong together. Personally, I don't think she looks that bad if she's wearing her hair down. When she has it pulled back or really flipped up, her weight gain is really apparent.

As for the actual series, I was a later comer with this one, but have fallen in love with it in the last year and a half thanks to the DVD sets. I still can't stay dedicated to watching it every week, but then again, that's the case with any new show for some reason.

Can't wait for S3 on 2/22!
Old 01-27-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
anyone think they have been sort of mean to each other in most of the eps this season?

most of the story lines seem to be how much they can do to get on the other's nerves.

not funny.

they look like they're headed for divorce going by thhis season stories.
Have you ever watched the show? They've been like this to each other for most of its run.

With regard to Remini, the real problem is that she was so damn small until she got pregnant, that she looks huge in comparison. People on this particular forum make me laugh. I would bet a paycheck that most guys that sit and post "she's huge, I wouldn't touch her ever," have never known the touch of a woman. Get over yourselves. If you're hard up for a really skinny chick to ogle on Wednesdays, catch Lost before KOQ. There's plenty of them on that show. And yes, I ogle the hell out of skinny women too.
Old 01-27-05, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
That's what I was thinking...there is something different about recent seasons. It reminds me too much of Everybody loves Raymond. They are constantly fighting ...it is tiring. I'm not married so maybe that is the draw for everybody loves raymond.
I don't want to see a husband having to beg and plead for some luvin'. It stops being funny the thousandth time.

As for the weight gain ...this is not reality tv. I have expectations from the actors I watch. They live in a world where women do not gain weight after having children. They can make fun ad nauseum about his fatness but nary a word has been said about her weight gain. To illustrate the difference in size...she used to be a good few sizes smaller than the dog walker girl...now Carrie makes the dog walker girl look like her thin friend. She looks heavier now than when she was pregnant. I swear her ass looks bigger than Dougs..
Old 01-27-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the things that I love about this series is that Carrie is just as big of a screwup as Doug is. Most sitcoms have the near perfect wife and the dumbass husband. This series actually shows that the wife is not perfect (ex: Carrie getting her assistant to do all of her work; Carrie buying all the clothes, wearing them, then returning them; Carrie freaking out in order to save her relationship with her OB/GYN; etc)
Old 01-27-05, 08:28 PM

The problem with Carrie's weight gain is that now it becomes clear how unlikable her character is (she had me in the 'hottie fog' before) - and the funny situation of saying "what is she doing with him, she could do so much better" has been replaced by feeling sorry for him.
Old 01-27-05, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by lucasorion
The problem with Carrie's weight gain is that now it becomes clear how unlikable her character is (she had me in the 'hottie fog' before) - and the funny situation of saying "what is she doing with him, she could do so much better" has been replaced by feeling sorry for him.
Exactly. Now it's ..."Carrie....Mirror. Mirror...Carrie." But surprising enough the media has not latched onto this. God forbid she loses a few pounds and she has anorexia or bulimia.
Old 01-27-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think a few people here make some good points. A very hilarious visual element to the show was seeing a fat guy and a hot, in shape wife...that was just visually ironic. Words didn't need to be stated...I think society views a guy like Doug as the big fat jolley screw-up and a thin Carrie as the ultimate in what someone sees as attractive. I think with her weight gain, it makes the show somewhat less funny right off the bat. The thing in TV is that things aren't really supposed to change much. Whether it's Bart Simpsons' clothes or background sets on a sitcom, or a character's physical appearances--viewers like familiarity. So when she went from thin Carrie to bigger Carrie, while it made sense in the context of the real world, I think it hurt the show some.

I remember watching My Wife and Kids three years ago...when Teesha Campbell had a baby in real life, and then got bigger on the show as a result...they wrote that into the storyline. They had an episode where her husband reffered to her as getting fatter, and suggested she needed to lose weight. I think KoQ really missed a golden opportunity to do something like this. Carrie got fired from her job and was just lounging around the house around the time when she got bigger. A storyline about her getting lazy since she was off from work would've better explained the extra few pounds, and would've been a decent storyline.
Old 01-28-05, 10:54 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
I think KoQ really missed a golden opportunity to do something like this. Carrie got fired from her job and was just lounging around the house around the time when she got bigger.
Did you see the VH1 special on her wedding? Every other thought spilling out of her mouth was about her weight.

I think the last thing the actress would sign off on is a subplot about her weight gain.
Old 01-28-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, it depends obviously. But it is a comedy. She is an actor, and she is getting paid. Funny jokes are at times made at the expense of someone's physical appearance. And like I said before, it was done with Teesha Campbell on My Wife and Kids. Hell, it was done in the fifties on I Love Lucy when they'd made fun of Ethel for looking a little chunky at times. Or that she eats like a pig.

It's not as if it hasn't been done before.
Old 01-28-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
I think KoQ really missed a golden opportunity to do something like this. Carrie got fired from her job and was just lounging around the house around the time when she got bigger. A storyline about her getting lazy since she was off from work would've better explained the extra few pounds, and would've been a decent storyline.
Agreed. I think turning the tables on her after years of fat jokes at Doug's expense would have been funny.

For long time fans of KOQ... isn't it ironic that the second episode of the entire series deals with Doug being concerned that Carrie is going to baloon into the same size as her mother, and when they finally get the opportunity to really explore it, they never mention it?
Old 01-28-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^^Interesting point...never thought about that.
Old 01-29-05, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lucasorion
Old 02-17-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

King of Queens 2/16/05

Anyone catch this? Thoughts? I thought it was pretty funny up until the last ten minutes...it kind of fell apart and got awkward.
Old 02-17-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't catch the last 10 or 15 minutes yet, but what I saw was pretty good. It was obvious that the line was from a movie though. I haven't checkout out IMDB yet, but does anyone know if the movie was real or not?
Old 02-18-05, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One of my favorite shows. Not good going up against American Idol. Since I watch both, I'll Tivo AI and the repeats of KOQ.
Old 04-06-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"King of Queens" 4/6/05

Anyone catch this tonight...? I actually found the Doug storyline to be hilarious with that short, tough waitress.
Old 04-06-05, 11:13 PM
Suspended

I liked all three story lines.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.