Reload this Page >

Official CONTENDER: SEASON 2 Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-19-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There. I didn't think the one below was fitting for a great show like this. Great fights tonight. I was cheering for K9 all the way. He didn't talk shit and just did his thing. Besides, I like underdogs. I do hope that the prizes to get better.
Old 07-19-06, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh god. did no one watch this????
Old 07-19-06, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched. The guy who fought K9 was waaay too cocky. He was obviously skilled but he should have concentrated more on winning the fight and less on showboating. Also Don't know why you would call out the biggest strongest guy there. Sure he may not be very polished but he has the ability to put you to sleep at anytime.
Old 07-19-06, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
I watched. The guy who fought K9 was waaay too cocky. He was obviously skilled but he should have concentrated more on winning the fight and less on showboating. Also Don't know why you would call out the biggest strongest guy there. Sure he may not be very polished but he has the ability to put you to sleep at anytime.
haha. yah. Michael Clark was way too cocky. But he was one of the top 2 or 3 most established fighters there though, so he had reason enough. Still though - he got a beat down.
Old 07-19-06, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't even know this was on. I hope they replay it.

Was it in HD?
Old 07-19-06, 09:06 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's repeated and repeated and repeated all week long.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/esp...te?showID=cntd
Old 07-19-06, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by flashburn
Was it in HD?
Nope.. standard def with the ESPN logos on the sides.
Old 07-19-06, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Way to go K9, the cockier Michael Clark got, the more I wanted K9 to win. He's not very refined, but you can't dismiss the power he's bringing down on your face.

The second fight was a war, but the better, more prepared fighting won.

I really like the new angle with the boxers being able to position themselves in the second round.
Old 07-19-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Im so glad this show is back, last years final fight was one of the guttsiest fights i have ever seen. Even the rematch was phenomnal.
Old 07-20-06, 02:32 AM

didn't know it was on either, didn't really promo this show as much this time around
Old 07-20-06, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, it should be airing new episodes every week at 10:00 pm eastern time. I'm trying to decide who my favorite boxer is. Haha. K9 I like a lot already just because he's pretty humble as far as fighters go. So far. And he's an underdog. Ebo I like because he looks like Elmer Fudd and he has a really really nice knock-out record.
Old 07-20-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I caught it a day late in faux HD and it was magnificent. Truly a spectacular start to the season. So glad it's back, stripped down and ready for action. Both fights were tremendous, with the second one among the best the show has featured to date. Nice to see Sergio and Alfonso again too. Just great, great stuff. With this and Project Runway reality TV has officially left its painfully birthing process and is delivering pure quality.
Old 07-20-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always been a big fan of boxing, even though the money (and pay per view) has crippled it greatly, but this show has brought back the purity of the sport for me in a big way. Even with the cheesy reality show theatrics, and syrupy family drama, I'm really enjoying it and hope it does well for years to come. It's a perfect fit for ESPN. That Hans Zimmer music kicks ass!
Old 07-20-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love this show...if only they showed the whole fights.
Old 07-20-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AudioWizard
That's was always something that bothered me about season 1, but I've sort of made peace with. I actually really liked the slo-mo replays they scatter throughout the fight (heresy, I know).
Old 07-25-06, 10:21 PM
Retired

Slug fest between Gary and Aaron tonight, not much technical skill on either side.

Glad to see Gary win, and another cocky guy eliminated. The cast has way too many cocky guys this year. Last year it was mainly Ahmad that was annoyingly cocky, seems like they started with a half dozen Ahmads this season.
Old 07-26-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AudioWizard
...I didnt watch the first season, but Im enjoying this one so far and really wish they would show the whole fight. Its not enough though to ruin my enjoyment of the show.
Old 07-26-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
You know what bothers me about this show? The way they edit the fights to make the contest look closer than it actually is...and their inserting of "punch" sounds (to make it appear that someone got hit harder than they actually did) REALLY irks me.

Anyone else bothered by this? Or am I just being nitpicky? ALL reality shows do this (edit their footage to make someone look stupid, mean, evil, etc.), but for some reason I can't stand this show because of the editing...
Old 07-26-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it's pretty annoying. Also, the manipulated crowd reactions and fake crown noise are hilariously awful.

The way the show is being presented this year, I don't really have much of a feel for any of these fighters, so I'm just rooting for the hottest wives/girlfriends.

das
Old 07-26-06, 01:25 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by das Monkey
The way the show is being presented this year, I don't really have much of a feel for any of these fighters,
That's part of it, but I really think it's just a lame cast of characters compared to last year. As I said above, two many arrogant fighters this year, not enough humble guys (only Norberto has really stood out in that regard so far to me) you want to root for.
Old 07-26-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Supposedly ESPN shows the full fights the day after the episode although I haven't looked at they schedule to confirm.
Old 08-02-06, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bump...for another good episode. I have a feeling the fight this week was more one sided then ESPN showed us.
Old 08-02-06, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah the editing sucks. That kid was completely outclassed. Its funny when they crank up the sound effects and go slow mo to try to amp up the drama and make it seem like he was mounting a come back. When in reality he was just swinging wildly, most of his shots either missing or hitting hips or arms.
Old 08-02-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Plus it looked like he was hitting with his palms. I was surprised at how weak his fighting was. Bring on Vinroy-Grady!
Old 08-02-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
Plus it looked like he was hitting with his palms. I was surprised at how weak his fighting was. Bring on Vinroy-Grady!

It's funny how Vinroy and everyone on his team was talking about him destroying Grady, but then in the one-on-ones one or two of his teammates were like "Grady's fought a lot of big name fighters...I don't know if Vinroy is ready for someone like Grady yet..."

Grady definitely has fought some well-known guys. I'm going with Grady, especially after he met his family. It's like clark kent became superman.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.