Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Official CONTENDER: SEASON 2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
That's part of it, but I really think it's just a lame cast of characters compared to last year. As I said above, two many arrogant fighters this year, not enough humble guys (only Norberto has really stood out in that regard so far to me) you want to root for.
I am rooting for k9 (because he seems like just a simple, nice guy), ebo elder (because he looks like elmer fudd and is a very good fighter with good power), and grady (because of his name).
Old 08-02-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Not much of a fight this ep, but Aaron showed a lot of stones staying up through the pounding he was taking. The way they cut that fight, I almost expected a last minute comeback, even though Aaron was beaten like a dirty rug by round five. I'm already a little tired of the antics in the ring, and the arrogance by fighters who haven't really accomplished anything yet. The fighters the last two seasons seemed more appreciative of the opportunity.
Old 08-12-06, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone catch fight #5? I'm so glad Grady won. Vinroy was talking too much shit. It seems that all the shittalkers have been going down - except Walter Wright. But he fought the fattest dude that would have made anyone look good, so we'll see. I hope K9 kills him.

Oh. And does anyone get the impression that Ebo or Forbes will win? I don't know...they have good recs, have fought solid fighters, and have good power...
Old 08-15-06, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
This weeks fight came down to the battle of wives...I was rooting for the fighter who's wife I like better. That doesn't say much about the personality of the two fighters.

Spoiler:
That must have been one killer punch that Stewart threw, I found it odd that they didn't replay it at all. Ebo had the entire fight to that point, I couldn't believe Stewart had so many fights and victories with that style. And for the record, I like Ebo's wife better.
Old 08-16-06, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ebo's corner man should have told him to coast and stay out of trouble in the final round. He had it sewed up. No reason to go out and try to brawl and give the guy a chance to get lucky.

Stewart looked terrible. Like someone you'd expect to see fighting in a Tough Man competition. In fact I haven't been that impressed with any of these guys boxing skills.
Old 08-21-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Hard to tell how this fight went, the way they cut it - I can't see how Ebo could have changed his strategy so sharply in the final round.
Funny, as the fight went on, and the more Ebo got punched, he began to look less like Elmer Fudd and more like Clint Howard.
Old 08-22-06, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Regardless of how the fight was cut, it seemed obvious enough to me that Ebo was the better fighter. The quality of opponents he's faced and his record also spoke to that. Anyways - Stewart got lucky and Ebo made a bad mistake in the 4th round after having won all 3 rounds.
Old 08-22-06, 10:03 AM

So far the best fight was Bravo's and the best looking fighter was Wright IMO.
Old 08-22-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mytzplyx
Regardless of how the fight was cut, it seemed obvious enough to me that Ebo was the better fighter. The quality of opponents he's faced and his record also spoke to that. Anyways - Stewart got lucky and Ebo made a bad mistake in the 4th round after having won all 3 rounds.
I think they both were bad. Ebo was gonna get knoced out by the next guy if it wasn't Stewart. He had no defense. Wright or K9 would have killed him.
Old 08-22-06, 10:58 PM

What a fight. Forbes/Curiel just took Best Fight Of The Season honors tonight. Forbes is a vicious fighter - quick and hits like a brick. Curiel is one tough dude to stand in there with him. The only other fighter who would've given him a run is Walter Wright. I hope he tries to come back to boxing now. I had the fight even after 3 with Forbes winning the final 2 rounds by a slim margin. Great, great fight.

Fraza fought like a bum but that was no surprise.

Did I miss it or did they not show where Stewart chose to fight in the next round?

I'm rooting very hard for a Wright / Forbes final.
Old 08-25-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, Forbes hits like a pansy. However, he is VERY precise, slick, and crafty. The only knock on him is his lack of power (9 KOs out of all his fights). He will just plain outbox you. Curiel really did surprise me though. He's easily one of the top 5 boxers on the show.

Also, I'm not sold on Walter Wright. He looked good. Real good. Against the fattest, slowest, and most out of shape boxer on the show. I hope k9 destroys him.
Old 08-28-06, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was looking at the quick preview, and is that Forbes and Avacedo fighting again? I don't remember which slots were open for the 2nd round, but I guess it makes sense that no one wants to fight first in the 2nd round so they'd be open for Forbes and Avacedo.