Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Epitafios - HBO On Demand

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-04-06, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you with HBO On Demand there is an excellent series on there right now called Epitafios (Epitaphs). Its basically a sort of serial killer/investigation show that somewhat reminds me of Silence of the Lambs. Its highly addictive and moves at a very fast pace.

The only downside to some may be that it was made for HBO Latino so it is subtitled. I couldn't give it a stonger recommendation.
Old 07-04-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
I've heard a lot of good things about this show and have always meant to try to catch up with it on OnDemand, but there always seems to be something else for me to watch. But I know I'll get to it soon.
Old 07-04-06, 09:25 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I was waiting for the DVDs coming out on August 29th. But now I can watch it tonight.
Old 07-07-06, 09:13 AM

Thanks again Bateman. I just finished the series. Wow! Great show.

I see it listed everywhere as "Season One" and episodes are listed as "Season Premiere" and "Season Finale" (not "Complete Series" or "Series Finale"). It was made in 2004, and I haven't heard anything about a second season. I hope they find a way to continue this show.
Old 07-07-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If this show is so good, why doesn't HBO (who could always use a new hit with The Sopranos and Six Feet Under gone) produce an english version of it?
Old 07-07-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm considering picking up the first season of this when it comes out. It actually has an MSRP of 60 instead of the usual 100 for HBO shows. Can anyone compare this to any other shows without spoilers please? I didn't even realize it was a non-English language show before reading this thread, but that does not bother me at all.
Old 07-07-06, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
Can anyone compare this to any other shows without spoilers please? I didn't even realize it was a non-English language show before reading this thread, but that does not bother me at all.
I can't think of any shows this compares to. Mostly because this is like a miniseries with one complete story arc. There are no standalone episodes.

I've seen people liken it to Silence Of The Lambs and Seven. I think the closest comparison would be to Italian giallo movies.

Here's why (Spoilers that don't give away too much):

Spoiler:
The investigators are average people (police officers but the opposite of great detectives Sherlock Holmes) that have some kind of emotional/psychological damage. That damage is often used against them by a very intelligent killer that knows everything about them, frequently pushing their buttons, and is always one step ahead. The victims are all somehow related, and they die slow painful deaths that's done creatively with a bit of style. There's nudity, sex and lots of gore.
Old 07-07-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigDave
There's nudity, sex and lots of gore.
You've convinced me. I'm in.
Old 07-08-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I can't think of any shows this compares to. Mostly because this is like a miniseries with one complete story arc. There are no standalone episodes.
would that make it sort of like The Wire, or not?

as tempted as I am to read your spoiler, I have resisted.....
but your comparison to giallo makes me almost definitely want to get the dvds.
Old 07-08-06, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
would that make it sort of like The Wire, or not?

as tempted as I am to read your spoiler, I have resisted.....
but your comparison to giallo makes me almost definitely want to get the dvds.
Yeah, I'd probably say the serial format is similar to the wire in which none of the episodes are independent. Each episode basically picks up where the other left off as one continuous story. Definitly makes it addictive and it moves at a faster pace than something like the Wire.

The giallo comparison seems about right. I haven't really seen that much in the genre them, but from what I have, I would tend to agree.

Last edited by Bateman; 07-08-06 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-18-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've preordered this and cannot wait to see it.

Thanks for all the info everyone.
Old 01-10-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bateman
For those of you with HBO On Demand there is an excellent series on there right now called Epitafios (Epitaphs). Its basically a sort of serial killer/investigation show that somewhat reminds me of Silence of the Lambs. Its highly addictive and moves at a very fast pace.

The only downside to some may be that it was made for HBO Latino so it is subtitled. I couldn't give it a stonger recommendation.
Thanks for pointing this show out to me! I'm currently in the middle of it (renting from Netflix) and am really enjoying it. My only gripe is that the subtitles go by a little too fast sometimes - and almost every bit of dialogue is important! I guess there is little that could be done to remedy that as the actors are talking quickly... so I've been rewinding a lot.

Again thanks for the heads up! I never would have known about this show otherwise!
Old 02-23-09, 11:15 PM

Re: Epitafios - HBO On Demand

Looks like Epitafios 2 is finally coming this year. Loved the first series.

Epitafios (Epitaphs), the first original series co-produced by HBO-Latin America, was a 2004 miniseries that took place five years after the accidental deaths of a group of students who had been taken hostage. The main character is an ex-police officer who was drawn back into the case when others involved began turning up dead. The show was a sensation, and HBO decided to import it to the United States for airing on its Latino and Signature outlets, where it received further critical acclaim.

In Epitafios 2, the sequel, a group of special investigators work to track down a murderer based on a series of anonymously sent photographs. The success of the original series led to an expanded production. The 13 episodes of Epitafios 2 included 23 weeks of filming in 70 different locations with 180 different actors.

http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion...m/epitaphs.htm
Can't wait!
Old 02-24-09, 07:35 PM

Excellent news!
Old 02-24-09, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow... sounds like a copycat... like Saw. But I'm in if it is a tenth as good as the original. HBO proper should air this mid-week in primetime after airing the original in the same way. Heck, better than a 3rd re-airing of Big Love which I totally enjoy but watch on Sundays!