Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Comedy Central to roast William Shatner on August 20

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved Sandra's shirt...

And man did Takei kill. You can tell Artie wrote half his material though...

I can't wait to hear Stern tomorrow morning talking about this again.
Old 08-21-06, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
That was a great roast. Shatner was amazing at the end. Andy Dick was truly bizarre and the worst part of the show. Sulu took the brunt of all the jokes, for the most part. All good stuff.
Old 08-21-06, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Now that was a good roast. Some of them were pretty harsh tho...Betty White was much funnier than I expected, and I still wonder why Farrah was there...Guess they need a Courtney Love at every roast?

That gay kiss wasn't too uncomfortable....didn't see that coming! Thought it woulda been Andy the Dick.
Old 08-21-06, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jeff Ross, Lisa Lamp, Jason Alexander and Patton Oswald all had strong sets ... as always.

Jason Alexander did a great job of hosting and roasting.

Artie ... what a talentless loser. Andy Dick needs to hit rock bottom so we never see him again.
Old 08-21-06, 07:21 AM

Sulu owned that roast. Surprisingly, Jeffrey Ross wasn't that great. And I was surprised Betty White did so well. Don't get me wrong, she's always been really funny, but it was still shocking to see a woman in her 80's up there telling these dirty jokes.

My favorite joke of the night was Lisa Lampinelli's remark about Tom on MySpace not even wanting to be friends with one of the people on stage(I can't remember who it was). As someone who spends a lot of time surfing the net, I can appreciate the creativity of that cutdown.
Old 08-21-06, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doughboy
My favorite joke of the night was Lisa Lampinelli's remark about Tom on MySpace not even wanting to be friends with one of the people on stage(I can't remember who it was).

I didn't get that one. Who is Tom?
Old 08-21-06, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I didn't get that one. Who is Tom?
I'm pretty sure he was the founder of myspace. Whenever someone creates a page, he's automatically added to their friends list.
Old 08-21-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Obey The D
I'm pretty sure he was the founder of myspace. Whenever someone creates a page, he's automatically added to their friends list.

Yep It's always sunny had a joke about him this week as well.
Old 08-21-06, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by theedge
That gay kiss wasn't too uncomfortable....didn't see that coming!
I thought it was funny......and then Sulu tried to slip Ross the tongue.
Old 08-21-06, 12:44 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I think these roasts are only funny when the comics make fun of the same comics who are always there for the previous roasts. It is like one big inside joke about Jeff Ross, Andy Dick, and Lisa Lampanella, and then they make fun of the newcomers like Farrah Fawcett who dare to show it. I actually think they lay off the guest of honor the most, cause nobody knew Shatner, or Pam Anderson, or even Chevy Chase a few years back.

I think they are vulgar, but they are pretty funny. Patton Oswald I think stole the show, as his tribute to Carrie Fisher in that Golden Bikini and then losing out to Chewbacca as to how she looked now.

The first roaster was hilareous, and I never know his name, but he is always over the line with his jokes.

Farrah Fawcett was awful, and I had to put my pillow in front of my head not to look as it was so awkward. I don't know if she was just doing it on purpose with Jason Alexander, or she is that dumb.

Of course the George Takei jokes were great, as he was a good sport. I am sorry, I am huge Howard Stern fan, but Artie is overrated, and not that funny. Bring back Jackie, Howard, and F-Timmy.
Old 08-21-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts
I guess it's just me, but although I find some of the material funny, it isn't anywhere near the Dean Martin roasts from the mid 70's.
Old 08-21-06, 02:13 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
I guess it's just me, but although I find some of the material funny, it isn't anywhere near the Dean Martin roasts from the mid 70's.
I agree, and I think the reason is they were just more talented actors & comics who were in those roasts. The Dean Martin roasts had A-list guys like Don Rickles, Johnny Carson, Jackie Gleason, even Frank Sinatra was in a few I saw. That was truly the stars of their time. Now most of the stars are so worried about their image and wouldn't set foot in a roast cause they couldn't take a joke on themselves. Just think of Tom Cruise showing up to one of these roasts, I think I could pop out 6-7 zingers about Scientology, Katie Holmes, and him jumping on Oprahs sofa. The problem is actors now play it too safe.

The Celebrity Roasts now are just a bunch of C-level comics that are funny, but that have to be shocking to be funny, that is their brand of humor, but that is why they are not big stars.
Old 08-21-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Andy Dick was truly bizarre and the worst part of the show. Sulu took the brunt of all the jokes, for the most part.
Compared to Farra Fawcett? That woman is a freaking train wreck. What the hell was she doing there?
Old 08-21-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Compared to Farra Fawcett? That woman is a freaking train wreck. What the hell was she doing there?
She was awful, but she wasn't licking everyone. His roast was decent, but everything else about him was just horible.

But when Jeffrey Ross said Andy Dick kissed his girlfriend's hand, and 40 minutes later she was dead, I rolled. Andy just couldn't handle the fact that he is so screwed up, he need to be ridiculed.
Old 08-21-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coli

Farrah Fawcett was awful, and I had to put my pillow in front of my head not to look as it was so awkward. I don't know if she was just doing it on purpose with Jason Alexander, or she is that dumb.
I think it's a combination of being the penultimate blonde, and frying her brain with drugs and alcohol, and being batshit crazy.
Old 08-21-06, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obey The D
Shows how much I use it. Thanks.
Old 08-22-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great stuff. Takei stole the show.
Ashame they cut Nicelle and Kevin Pollacks parts. Pollack does a great Shatner.

Last edited by riley_dude; 08-22-06 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-22-06, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Just got to see it. Good stuff.

They cut too much of Artie's lines. He had that kililer Farah joke and an awesome Jimmy Kimmel/Adam Carolla one. Fucking Viacom.
Old 08-22-06, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
This is one roast I'll be buying just so I can see the stuff they cut out. I just hope there's no more of Farah, as she was just brutal.
Old 08-22-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Artie wasn't funny. Neither was Farrah.
Old 08-22-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Haven't watched it yet, but I heard clips of many of the roasters on Stern this morning. That was some funny shit.
Old 08-23-06, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't access comedycentral.com from work. Is the whole thing posted there so I can see the ones they cut down to a few snippets? Or is a DVD going to be released?
Old 08-23-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone know if a secret stash version is being planned on airing any time soon? (uncut on comedy central)
Old 10-15-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, comedy central showed the roast last night uncut. There wasn't actually too much swearing. Athough there were 2 uses of the dreaded C word.
Old 10-20-06, 03:34 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Drexl
Hmmm, well, I'm almost positive that he said the name of the firm.
I am too. And for a while I think channel 11 was running the commercial at least 10 times a day lol

It's probably like the bumpers I used to see when I was watching stuff on C-band satellite when I was younger. Almost a solid hour of a show's star saying "You ae watching ______ on _______'s channel #