Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol -- Final Four -- 05/09/06

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be going home on Wednesday night?
Katherine McPhee
43.10%
Chris Daughtry
16.38%
Elliott Yamin
33.62%
Taylor Hicks
6.90%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol -- Final Four -- 05/09/06

Old 05-10-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That was cruel the way Seacrest delivered the news. I watched it a few times so I could see Chris' face fall again and again. Paula reacted like someone threw hot soup in her face.

I think it was a bad choice, he was better than Katharine or Elliott. Eh, it's not like the contestants leave in proper order anyway.

Katharine was so happy she was practically dancing, but knew that wouldn't look right.
Old 05-10-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could not stand Chris and really like Katherine...I think she really has a shot against the guys, especially if she has a good week. I can see her doing an album like Kelly Clarkson, I can't really see Elliot having mass appeal and Taylor only having short lived appeal
Old 05-10-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
I thought I had seen Katharine in concert before, but it turns out that it was just my smoke detector's "low battery" alert.

... but to answer the immediate question, I would buy a ticket to see Taylor in concert.

I would definately buy an album put out by Taylor. .. and then I'd fish the discount racks for Elliot and Kat. I like Chris, but I'm not sure I could handle an entire album.

Just for the record, I have purchased CDs by Kelly, Justin and Clay, and will probably get Carrie's for my wife and Bo's for me. Season 3 is dead to me.
Old 05-10-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
...and for all her talent Kat has no control of her vocals. She's all over the map most nights. Kat could record an album with those vocals and a chance at many takes, but as a live performer she's a timebomb.
I think that sums up Katherine perfectly. Her nerves get the best of her under the lights but she seems to wow the pros in the rehearsals.
Old 05-10-06, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by paradicelost
Well since Chris got picked i guess i was wrong about America wanting another cookiecutter nickleback rocker boy. Not saying the guy isn't talented but lets face it guys like him or a dime a dozen.
My sentiments exactly. I predicted Chris would be going home before the show. Chris has looked ridiculous the past two weeks singing Elvis and with Andrea Bocelli (Come to think of it, that Queen night was brutal too). Katherine was really poor last night, but overall has been better than Chris and deserved to stay.

I agree with a previous poster. When Taylor gets to sing his type of bluesy song, he is very good. The second Elvis song last night as an example.

I wouldn't count out Elliott. He seems to be surging at the right moment.
Old 05-10-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't read these threads all the time...but why so much hate for Chris? Or are you just saying you don't like him as a singer, and coming off sounding like you think he's an asshole? Just curious. Because I definitely wasn't surprised he had the least votes, but the final 4 all seemed like genuinely good people to me.

I don't even know how this show goes - do they have a final 2? If so, Taylor's a lock, and if Elliott sings like he did this week, he'll be there too. Katherine is going to really have to step it up, but I'm not sure if her nerves can handle it.
Old 05-10-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by antennaball
People really need to stop making blanket statements as though they know the tastes of everyone in the world. I LOVE the old-school bluesy sound that Taylor has when he concentrates on the vocal and his CD would be the first AI CD I would ever buy. And I know several people around here that feel the same.

He won't be the most successful commercially, but to say that nobody's interested in him (or Elliott) is pretty short-sighted.
i agree with you. i think taylor is the one who could actually make a great cd.

i would never buy a cd from a wanna be rocker who sings like a goat. nor would i buy a cd by elliot or kat. those 2 arent my style but they can sing. i listen to mostly rock and metal and to me chris was a joke. like someone said before in this thread...go to any bar in america and you will see someone who sings like chris.
Old 05-10-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chris was totally shocked !
I knew him or Elliot would be gone this week.
Elliot will go next week.

Taylor and Katherine will be the final 2.
Old 05-10-06, 10:12 PM

Ironically, the band Fuel is looking for a new lead singer. Chris did a great version of Hemorrhage early on, which the band acknowledged on their web site. So him getting voted off could be the best thing that could happen.

Agree with most of the comments on Taylor. He has a good voice, but I can't imagine buying his album.
Old 05-10-06, 10:19 PM
Cool New Member

Chris will do fine on his own. This is the best thing that could have happened to him really...

I downloaded Ruben's album...good GOD was that awful. I feel bad for whoever wins if it's a guy...they make the guys sound like such doosh-bags...Clay...Bo...Ruben...where as the 3 girl winners have all had hit songs at least.

I'm hoping Kat wins, just so the album doesn't completely lick balls.

Plus...DAMN is she hot!
Old 05-10-06, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by countedcrow
Ironically, the band Fuel is looking for a new lead singer. Chris did a great version of Hemorrhage early on, which the band acknowledged on their web site. So him getting voted off could be the best thing that could happen.

Agree with most of the comments on Taylor. He has a good voice, but I can't imagine buying his album.
i think they asked him and he said no. i hope for his sake they havent found a singer yet...nevermind i was thinking fuel were a popular band still.
Old 05-10-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by squaredeals
I'm hoping Kat...lick balls.
Old 05-10-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chino77
i think they asked him and he said no. i hope for his sake they havent found a singer yet...nevermind i was thinking fuel were a popular band still.

have they even had success past that 1 song?
Old 05-10-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just like in Season 3, the best of the bunch goes out at #4. Unlike Season 3, there are still great singers left.
Old 05-10-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by moocher
Just like in Season 3, the best of the bunch goes out at #4.
Was that LaToya?
Old 05-10-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
the funniest part is that simon really really really didnt want taylor to go to hollywood after the auditions
and it was really close
then simon said paula and randy would never put him through to the next round

final 3, and top vote getting almost every single week
Old 05-10-06, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,395 Likes on 1,006 Posts
I don't get the Elliot love. Mediocre singer, and he has the stage presence of a used car salesman moonlighting as a lounge singer.

Kat... can't sing for shit, but she can work that nice ass.

Taylor... okay singer, but this guy ain't exactly American Idol material. (At least what I'd think they're actually looking for.)

Chris... in the wrong contest. Should've applied for RockStar II. What they hell would they do when he recorded an album? Look how they cut Bo Bice's ball off. (My g/f bought his CD, and it sucks. The guy isn't a bad singer, but they have him singing all of this gooey pop shit.)

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 05-10-06 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-10-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,395 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by twikoff
the funniest part is that simon really really really didnt want taylor to go to hollywood after the auditions
and it was really close
then simon said paula and randy would never put him through to the next round

final 3, and top vote getting almost every single week
Okay, it needs to be said. Simon has no fucking taste.

I submit into evidence:

Old 05-10-06, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I started watching a show called "American Idol" tonight.....it ended up turning into "American IDIOT"
Old 05-10-06, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Okay, it needs to be said. Simon has no fucking taste.

I submit into evidence:

That's not a matter of taste, it's a matter of a genious business idea. Do you have any idea how many Il Divo records I've sold in my store? More than all the Idols combined (minus Kelly). The over 40 crowd loves them.

I think the right person went home tonight. He went alot further than he should have, and will have success in the future. The odds of him actually joining Fuel are slim though. He'll be locked into Idol stuff for a while.
Old 05-10-06, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

are those his sons? haha
Old 05-10-06, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by countedcrow
Except he'll probably be locked out of working for anyone else but Idol for at least a year.
Old 05-10-06, 11:35 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For everyone who plans on buying Taylor's album if he wins, just keep in mind he may be forced to put out some album that doesn't properly take advantage of his style. Look at Bo Bice... he specialized in classic rock sounds during the competition but they stuck him with generic modern mainstream rock when they did his album. Ruben did great classic soul stuff on the show but ended up with an album of so-so contemporary R&B material. I'm just saying don't get your hopes up...
Old 05-10-06, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What crap. I'm done watching this season. That was awful, America!

Well, at least he'll have the best selling album ever for a 4th place Idol.
Old 05-10-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Struz
Chris was totally shocked !
I knew him or Elliot would be gone this week.
Elliot will go next week.

Taylor and Katherine will be the final 2.
Sorry, but Kat will be leaving next week.

She is lucky to still be there.

Chris' fans are not happy with her and they will not be voting for her. Taylor and Elliot will be getting more votes, that makes Kat the odd woman out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.