Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Veronica Mars -- Season Finale "Not Pictured" -- 05/09/06

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who's responsible for the bus crash?
Kendall Casablanca
9.30%
Beaver Casablanca
53.49%
The Fitzpatricks Gang
2.33%
Weevil
2.33%
Mayor Woody Goodman
6.98%
Aaron Echolls
4.65%
Other
18.60%
Twikoff
2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Veronica Mars -- Season Finale "Not Pictured" -- 05/09/06

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
You mean like the dead kid from Ahoy Mateys who wasn't pictured in the year book when Veronica looked him up?
That would be kind of an obscure reference to use as the basis for the title of the season finale. Don't get me wrong -- I'm not really complaining about it...just kind of an "oh well" sorta thing.

Anyone who thinks the dream should've been excised to make room for more plot should probably flip over to Law & Order or CSI.
It's not that I want to see the dream go so much as I wish the rest of the episode were longer to give some of the other events more room to breathe.
Old 05-10-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That would be kind of an obscure reference to use as the basis for the title of the season finale.
Last year's finale was named after a character introduced in the penultimate episode, and whose part in the story was to give Veronica a misleading clue.

The kid from Ahoy Mateys was one of Woody's victims, so one could come up with a plausible alternate ending to the season in which his absense in the year book is significant.
Old 05-10-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
It's not that I want to see the dream go so much as I wish the rest of the episode were longer to give some of the other events more room to breathe.
Agreed. I liked the dream sequence a lot. I see why they had it, and I was really happy to see Lilly again. However, the episode seemed so rushed to me that I wish a lot of other big developments had been given a lot more time to play out or get their due consideration. I mean, we basically got a minute of reaction to the air plane being blown up. Why even blow it up if that is the best you can do with it. That wasn't near enough for me. It is like they had a really good episode but my TV kept skipping key emotional parts or something. It really should have been a 2 parter.
Old 05-10-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the girl who is lilly on this show, also on big love as well?
Old 05-10-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Yep, that's Amanda Seyfrieds. I think she's pretty great.
Old 05-10-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
See, that I can buy. I liked the sequence an didn't mind it being there at all, but I can understand this point of view. But for him to say that it was completely worthless and didn't show us anything new is a head scratcher.
Old 05-10-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
But that brings up on problem that's been bugging me. Wouldn't Beaver have been too young to play on the same team as Lucky? Seems to me, there's at least a 4 year age difference.
As somebody else mentioned, he was probably on a different year's team. In fact, that's probably why Veronica went to check out the wall -- she wanted a different look at the kid she was missing. When she checked the different picture, that's when she saw the "Not pictured:".
Old 05-10-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A bunch of awesome shit
I think I'm in love with you.
Old 05-10-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What I dont get is why Veronica and Logan were together in the alternate graduation.
Old 05-10-06, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kaze0
What I dont get is why Veronica and Logan were together in the alternate graduation.
Veronica is in love (lust?) with him? It is her dream...
Old 05-10-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am assuming that Terrence knew that Jackie was going back to New York. If so, why when they were alone, did he mention her going to Paris? Did she go to Paris, New York or am I missing something?
Old 05-10-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
I am assuming that Terrence knew that Jackie was going back to New York. If so, why when they were alone, did he mention her going to Paris? Did she go to Paris, New York or am I missing something?
Three possibilities:

1) Terrence was just that oblivious. He heard Jackie explain she was going to Paris and actually thought that is where she was going. He obviously was not a good dad. In fact, it's too bad they didn't do more to contrast him with Keith with actions instead of with words.

2) "Paris" became a code of sorts, sort of like how one couple on another show this season used the term "pickles" when they were talking about reefer.

3) Jackie's kid is named Paris, so that play on words is actually what led her to make up the whole cover story (this does seem sort of lame).
Old 05-10-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4) The writers were winging it and slipped up.
Old 05-10-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ayre
4) The writers were winging it and slipped up.
Well, yeah. I thought it was implied I was explaining why it might not be that.
Old 05-10-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's really frustrating is that this season was still good and then one episode undo's all that. I'm wondering if UPN forced them to make the end into one hour long episode. I think if there is a next season I'm going to wait for it to be over and then check it out. So i'm temporarily dropping the show.
Old 05-10-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
I think if there is a next season I'm going to wait for it to be over and then check it out. So i'm temporarily dropping the show.
Below you will find an advisory I would not consider a spoiler that I'm hiding so the very most sensitive don't yell at me. It is about the structure of the show:

Spoiler:
Be advised that the current plan is for there to be three smaller scale mysteries that run 8, 7, and 7 episodes each next season. You may therefore want to continue to record but simply wait until the end of each arc to watch.
Old 05-10-06, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Veronica is in love (lust?) with him? It is her dream...
Being what's happened in the last few episodes, I'd say love. Leave the lusting to me.

I read a lot of forums and nothing that happened in this episode was a surprise. From the culprit being Cassidy to the reason he did it, his voice being the missing one from the recording to Veronica getting chlamydia off him. Which is good to a degree because it means the writers did their jobs and laid enough clues for it to be figured out and not just randomly made up and too confusing with the point of making it indecipherable. On the other hand since I read all this spec I was bummed that I knew who it was, but I'm ok with that.

When Weevil pleaded with Lamb to let him graduate I knew he wouldn't relent. Lamb gets off on that kind of shit, and it broke my heart his grandmother didn't see him graduate. I love to hate Lamb, but at that moment I just hated him completely.

Another moment I loved is when Logan couldn't give Cassidy a reason as to why he shouldn't jump. I personally can't come up with a reason even now.

Aaron watching himself on tv and going on about how hot he is was hysterical. Then getting shot was even better, especially with the blood spattering on the screen. And Duncan being the one to hire Wiedman to kill him? Most excellent.

Lastly, Keith's whooping to Veronica going up on stage was too cute. It was pretty obvious he wasn't going to have died on the plane, but I was still a bit worried. Although it was weird how he just randomly popped out from his bedroom without Logan knowing he'd come home.
Old 05-10-06, 11:51 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I agree that it seemed like they tried to cram a lot into the last 30 minutes. Could have been a 2 hour show.

Duncan ordering the hit on Aaron was unexpected.
Old 05-14-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac
Given that the Shelly Pomroy party was over 2 1/2 years ago at this point, how did Veronica go for that long without finding out she had chlamydia?
Chlamydia is asymptomatic in women most of the time. It's often also asymptomatic in men as well, but not nearly as often as in women.

It made me a little angry that chalmydia was incorrectly referred to as "the clap" in this episode. "The Clap" is gonorrhea. Bad writers! for shame!
Old 05-14-06, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by auntiewinnie
Yeah, I was thinking that they would have at least brought him back for trial for HIS DAUGHTER'S MURDERER.
I might have invented it in my mind, but I think it was mentioned once briefly that Jake Kane was in jail, I think for destroying evidence or interferring with an investigation or something like that.....

but I do think it's really strange we did not see Celeste again at the trial.
Old 05-14-06, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yes, as are the actors who play Mac and Beaver.
Old 05-14-06, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, maybe a possible storyline for season 3 (and a part i was confused about. why was Duncan talking to Terrence Cook?
Duncan was talking to Clarence Wiedman.......who had just killed Aaron Echolls.
Old 05-14-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts
All right, I've waited to say anything about the season finale until now, so bear with me because I'm probably going to end up writing a lot.

I agree that the ep felt a bit rushed. I don't think it had to be a 2-hour ep, but I think it would have benefited had it been 90 minutes. I just think there were some things that we should have been able to see that we didn't. Like I think we should have had a scene where Logan and Veronica officially got back together. It wouldn't have to be some big romantic scene or anything, but as it is, it felt like a week had past by how Veronica and Logan were acting the next morning. It was as if they had been back together for a while. Plus, I was dying to see Dick's reaction to the news that Beaver was the killer. That probably would have been his ultimate "Dude!" moment or it could have given him some unexpected depth (uh, probably not). I also think they glossed over that plane explosion way too much. The way it was handled, with the plane blowing up seemingly right next to him, I half-expected that it wasn't real, that Beaver had set something up. I think it would have been appropriate to have some kind of reaction.

As for Beaver being the killer, it was something that I expected but was disappointed by. I had suspected Beaver earlier in the season, but the thing that kept me from taking that notion very seriously was that it seemed way too out of character for him. Beaver was the kind of guy who didn't resort to violence, he didn't get his hands dirty. Look at how he handled Dick when he was making fun of Beaver and Mac. He set up a situation where Dick would be humiliated. That makes sense. It would have made sense to me that Beaver had established his company to do illegal things and have Kendall, who officially owned the company, take a fall. Beaver running over a guy and sending him off a cliff? That just doesn't seem like him, but then again, neither does the bus incident.

I'm also not sure what I think about the realization that Beaver raped Veronica. Again, something that just doesn't seem to be true to his character. Granted, we have seen moments of obvious inner-rage in Beaver (that is why I had suspected him earlier in the season), but an act that violent just didn't seemed to make sense from Beaver. It even felt like an episode of Bizzaro Veronica Mars when everything was being revealed on the roof. I even told my friend while we were watching, "Maybe Veronica's still asleeep."

I'm also a little upset that Beaver ultimately killed himself. I really liked his character and it's hard to believe that he won't be around at all next year, although Lilly still shows up so who knows.

I did love Duncan's appearance at the end. That was probably the biggest surprise of the finale. I doubt anyone saw that coming. But again, it was a mild disappointment for me as well. While Aaron's death was a great and surprising moment in the show, I was looking forward to the awkwardness next season of Veronica and Keith having to live beside the man who almost killed both of them. I thought that tension could have created some unbelievable moments.

OK, I think this will be my last rant. Going back to Beaver, I think one of the main things that I didn't like about this ending was the fact that I had already guessed the killer's identity. I watched season 1 on DVD in a very short time. I didn't look at any message boards before or during my viewing either. So I didn't have too much time to sit and ponder eps or have others spoil anything. So when the moment came when Aaron was revealed on that tape, I almost literally screamed like a little girl. I was shocked. Granted, we had seen outbursts of violence from Aaron before, but that was either as a protective father (the incident with Trina's boyfriend) or as a strict disciplinarian with Logan. But I didn't suspect him at all, so the surprise alone was one of the things that made the first season finale so great. I was definitely disappointed and felt almost a little cheated at not having that same surprise realization.

After all this bitching, I'm sure some of you will be surprised to hear me say that I don't think it was a bad ep at all. It's just that it was unable to live up to the brilliance of the first season, admittedly a very tough act to follow.
Old 05-14-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WillieTheShakes
Is it possible that Duncan orchestrated certain elements of the trial (having Kendall use his hair to suggest him as a possible suspect again) to get the not guilty verdict to allow him to avenge his sister's death?
Great thought.

This would also explain something that I couldn't understand. Why the hell would Logan erase the tapes (presumably to help with his father's case) and then testify against him? Having Logan in on a conspiracy with Duncan to get Aaron out of jail so he could be executed would explain everything.
Old 05-14-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Flave
Great thought.

This would also explain something that I couldn't understand. Why the hell would Logan erase the tapes (presumably to help with his father's case) and then testify against him? Having Logan in on a conspiracy with Duncan to get Aaron out of jail so he could be executed would explain everything.
Logan testified in order to avoid being prosecuted for erasing the tapes.

He erased them in the first place to keep them out of the tabloid media, not to help his dad.

Last edited by Jimmy James; 05-14-06 at 05:58 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.