Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Veronica Mars -- Season Finale "Not Pictured" -- 05/09/06

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who's responsible for the bus crash?
Kendall Casablanca
9.30%
Beaver Casablanca
53.49%
The Fitzpatricks Gang
2.33%
Weevil
2.33%
Mayor Woody Goodman
6.98%
Aaron Echolls
4.65%
Other
18.60%
Twikoff
2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Veronica Mars -- Season Finale "Not Pictured" -- 05/09/06

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-06, 08:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. What a HUGE letdown! I can't see how anyone could be satisfied with this finale, although I'll concede that maybe not everyone had the same expectations for storytelling quality that I came in with. I loved the 1st season. Watched the whole thing in a little over a week last summer. If I watch a 3rd season at all, it will be the same way. And only after I get confirmation that it didn't suck as bad as this season. Just some of my problems with the fianle:

1. Okay, so Keith gets a tempting offer from Kendall and Veronica is still probably in the freaking building and he can't find the time to let her know he won't be joining her in NYC? Or at least go to the airport to see her off? Or say, "HEY VERONICA!! Trip to NYC is postponed!!" He could have called her in two seconds. And really, who's been in an airport where you didn't get cell service? Those places have the BEST cell service. And for good reason.

There better have been some nerve gas in that briefcase that killed Keith very quietly. I will accept no other explanation for him not communicating with Veronica. It would be completely out of character.

2. Okay, so a plane BLOWS UP over a highly populated section of Southern California, and there's no follow up? The girl that knows who did it, saw him do it, and just happened to believe that her father was ON it forgets all about it to go check on "Mac" and then just goes home to sleep it off? BULLSHIT.

3. Veronica is not stupid enough to send that text message to Mac knowing full well that Beaver was with her and might see it. Completely out of character for her to be that careless.

4. The dream sequence featuring the "alternate graduation" was COMPLETELY pointless, had NOTHING to do with anything going on this season, and took up way too much time.

5. Right, I'm supposed to believe that Neptune High is going to hold their graduation in a GYMNASIUM when it's beautiful outside? (okay, this is really not a big deal and doesn't effect the show in any way, but it IS ridiculous.)

I may go on and on later, but I just had to start getting all this out there. Am I wrong?
Old 05-10-06, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu

1. Okay, so Keith gets a tempting offer from Kendall and Veronica is still probably in the freaking building and he can't find the time to let her know he won't be joining her in NYC? Or at least go to the airport to see her off? Or say, "HEY VERONICA!! Trip to NYC is postponed!!" He could have called her in two seconds. And really, who's been in an airport where you didn't get cell service? Those places have the BEST cell service. And for good reason.

There better have been some nerve gas in that briefcase that killed Keith very quietly. I will accept no other explanation for him not communicating with Veronica. It would be completely out of character.
Thats the whole point. Whatever was in the briefcase and what was discussed with CC was so important that he blew off Veronica. Its certainly not something like "Someone stole my newspaper this morning. Help me find out who!!"
Old 05-10-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wanted Woody to admit what he did to the kids. He never did. He just said that they needed a father figure and he was there for them, etc.
Old 05-10-06, 09:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Thats the whole point. Whatever was in the briefcase and what was discussed with CC was so important that he blew off Veronica. Its certainly not something like "Someone stole my newspaper this morning. Help me find out who!!"

Okay, but that absolutely rules out ANY scenario where it's "enough money to send Veronica to school! Yay!"

Like I mentioned earlier, Keith dying is about the only acceptable explanation for him not letting Veronica know he isn't going with her.
Old 05-10-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, but that absolutely rules out ANY scenario where it's "enough money to send Veronica to school! Yay!"

Like I mentioned earlier, Keith dying is about the only acceptable explanation for him not letting Veronica know he isn't going with her.
If it were a normal case, he would have stopped by the airport. But we are led to believe that whatever it is she is seeing him about is so important that he would ditch Veronica at the airport and forego the trip to NY. What could it be? Thats the mystery. And there are plenty of plausible scenarios that dont involve Keith being dead. Youre just not thinking hard enough.
Old 05-10-06, 09:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
If it were a normal case, he would have stopped by the airport. But we are led to believe that whatever it is she is seeing him about is so important that he would ditch Veronica at the airport and forego the trip to NY. What could it be? Thats the mystery. And there are plenty of plausible scenarios that dont involve Keith being dead. Youre just not thinking hard enough.

Really? What would those scenarios be? Remember, all he has to do is open a the window and yell at her or call her. Veronica and Logan just bumped into Kendall in the hallway so they would still be at least that close.
Old 05-10-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
A thought about the briefcase:

Did they ever recover Vinnie's briefcase? I'm thinking the briefcase Kendall put in front of Keith may have been Vinnie's.

And what might be in it? Well, if sloppy in his work, its possible the case contains info about Duncan's whereabouts. Or even better yet, given his ability to help people disappear, it may contain info about Lynn Echols.

But my guess is that it has something to do with Lianne Mars. That would be the only thing I think would make Keith stand up Veronica.

Which then brings up the question: what would be Kendall's interest in that?

All in all, a pretty decent end to the season. Saw it when tired, so I wasn't overwhelmed by it, but it didn't put me to sleep either.
Old 05-10-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Really? What would those scenarios be? Remember, all he has to do is open a the window and yell at her or call her. Veronica and Logan just bumped into Kendall in the hallway so they would still be at least that close.
She opened the briefcase and it cut away, IIRC. There are plenty of possibilities as to what happened after that. It must have been hours after the meeting that they showed Veronica in the airport. Who knows what was going on with Keith in the meantime. Its possible that he went and did something assuming that he would get to the airport in plenty of time, but was held up for any number of reasons. I dont think you should be disappointed until you find out in September.
Old 05-10-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts
He could have called her in two seconds.
...or left a message with the airline, I would think. Guess we'll have to wait until next season to find out.

3. Veronica is not stupid enough to send that text message to Mac knowing full well that Beaver was with her and might see it. Completely out of character for her to be that careless.
By the way, did Beaver do anything to Mac, or was running off with her clothes while she was in the shower the extent of it? Shivering and cowering in a corner seems like a really extreme reaction...I can buy it, but I'm just wondering if I missed something.

4. The dream sequence featuring the "alternate graduation" was COMPLETELY pointless, had NOTHING to do with anything going on this season, and took up way too much time.
With as rushed as a lot of the episode felt (especially with so much crammed into the rooftop confrontation that I had to rewind a couple of times to make sure I got it all), it does seem kind of strange to spend that much time on a dream. It is interesting to note that in this fantasy world, Veronica still pairs herself with Logan.

I liked the finale, I guess, but maybe a two-parter would've been a better idea. Beaver being responsible for everything is a little dissatisfying. I wish the finale had a different title because I don't think I would've suspected Beaver, but with a title like "Not Pictured" and the big reveal last episode being that kiddie league picture, there's really only one major character that'd fit the bill.
Old 05-10-06, 10:53 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Not a very good episode, huge disappointment. did not like the ending in terms of story or quality. it was straight out bad. By the way what does veronica see in Logan, the guy has no redeeming qualities. it makes no sense at all. Logan is interesting as pompous villian but boyfriend. Veronica would have to be a moron to go out with him. he is total sleaze. Ohh veronica has gone from smart to dummy this year. which explains why she would go up to the roof. DUMB. Beaver the killer and rapist. Lame. done only to shock the audience. my reaction was stupid. one of the few likeable characters, unlike logan gone. if you are likeable character on this show you are in trouble. meg, duncan, beaver gone. if you scumbag your safe. overall disappointing 2nd season.

Last edited by sabre; 05-10-06 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-10-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I liked the finale, I guess, but maybe a two-parter would've been a better idea. Beaver being responsible for everything is a little dissatisfying. I wish the finale had a different title because I don't think I would've suspected Beaver, but with a title like "Not Pictured" and the big reveal last episode being that kiddie league picture, there's really only one major character that'd fit the bill.
But that brings up on problem that's been bugging me. Wouldn't Beaver have been too young to play on the same team as Lucky? Seems to me, there's at least a 4 year age difference.
Old 05-10-06, 11:05 AM
Banned

That was another of the huge problems I had with this episode (season). Veronica and Logan, back together again? Um...why? Are we just going to go back and forth with this relationship some more?
Old 05-10-06, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
But that brings up on problem that's been bugging me. Wouldn't Beaver have been too young to play on the same team as Lucky? Seems to me, there's at least a 4 year age difference.

Also, did we know before that Lily was Duncan's older sister? Maybe I never caught that, but I always assumed she was a year younger than Veronica/Duncan/Logan.
Old 05-10-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jesus, Veronica is a smart girl, yes, but she is still only 18...And just now graduating from highschool. I think this is a recurring "theme" in this show that is forgotten.
Old 05-10-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
I think Woody coached little leage for several years.

birrman54
Old 05-10-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Beaver being the culprit was too obvious and kind of dissapointed that the writers went this route.
Beaver the killer and rapist. Lame. done only to shock the audience. my reaction was stupid.
So there are those who dislike the finale because the solution was too obvious, and those who dislike it because it came out of nowhere?

I thought the Jackie twist was ridiculous - like some far flung thing TPTB pulled out of their collective arse
It makes perfect sense to me. It always seemed odd to me that Jackie wasn't a contender for the Kane scholarship, yet she was going to the Sorbonne, and the ease with which she picked up waitressing didn't fit with her poor little rich girl image. Add to that that we know she's an accomplished liar, and one of the only people in the series to completely hoodwink Veronica (in the episode with the psychic). I would've been more disappointed if Jackie had gone to an elite French school.

Reading some of the Rob Thomas Q&A's made me realize why the mystery is so sloppy. First he says all his writers are "character writers", and they don't hire "procedural writers", who normally write myster/crime stuff. And second, some one asks him how Aaron got Veronica's private medical file and he says "I don't care.", which says a lot.
Does it make sense in North by Northwest that James Mason would try to kill Cary Grant by sending him to an empty field and having an old biplane strafe him? No. And Hitchcock's response to such a complaint would be the same -- I don't care.

I can't see how anyone could be satisfied with this finale, although I'll concede that maybe not everyone had the same expectations for storytelling quality that I came in with.
Yes, anyone who liked this episode has lower standards than you.

Okay, so a plane BLOWS UP over a highly populated section of Southern California, and there's no follow up? The girl that knows who did it, saw him do it, and just happened to believe that her father was ON it forgets all about it to go check on "Mac"
Beaver hinted that he'd killed Mac -- of course Veronica's going to check on her.

and then just goes home to sleep it off? BULLSHIT.
Yeah, it would've been better if she'd called Lamb and spent the rest of the night having to explain everything to him.

The dream sequence featuring the "alternate graduation" was COMPLETELY pointless, had NOTHING to do with anything going on this season, and took up way too much time.
It may not've been relevant to the plot, but if you think it's pointless you really didn't get the scene.

Right, I'm supposed to believe that Neptune High is going to hold their graduation in a GYMNASIUM when it's beautiful outside? (okay, this is really not a big deal and doesn't effect the show in any way, but it IS ridiculous.)
Yeah, that was silly. My high school, which was nowhere near as well funded as Neptune, held the graduation at Nissan Pavilion, the same venue used for things like the Ozz Fest. But still, at least there were parents and family members present for this graduation, unlike the one in a certain other show about a blonde California girl who fights evil in between classes and going to parties.

I wish the finale had a different title because I don't think I would've suspected Beaver, but with a title like "Not Pictured" and the big reveal last episode being that kiddie league picture, there's really only one major character that'd fit the bill.
You mean like the dead kid from Ahoy Mateys who wasn't pictured in the year book when Veronica looked him up?

Also, did we know before that Lily was Duncan's older sister?
Established last season.
Old 05-10-06, 12:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
It may not've been relevant to the plot, but if you think it's pointless you really didn't get the scene.
Oh, please enlighten me. I'm waiting.
Old 05-10-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But still, at least there were parents and family members present for this graduation, unlike the one in a certain other show about a blonde California girl who fights evil in between classes and going to parties.
Check again; there WERE parents and family members there; they were seated at the back and ran like hell the minute the mayor morphed whereas the kids stayed and fought.
Old 05-10-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
I guess I enjoyed the finale until I came here.
I hear ya. Geez. Can people be more critical????
Old 05-10-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Character development. You think that Veronica doesn't still think about Lilly?
Old 05-10-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was another of the huge problems I had with this episode (season). Veronica and Logan, back together again? Um...why?
Um...why not? The only reason it ended before was that Logan was being blamed for the Felix murder, which he didn't do.There have been hints for a while that the two still have feelings for each other, so why NOT get them back together?
Old 05-10-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Echolls trial stirred up memories for Veronica, which combined with the impending graduation has her thinking about what might have been if Lilly hadn't been murdered. She'd still be hanging out with the 09ers, just a typical gullible teenage girl with no problems bigger than what she's wearing to graduation. Her parents would still be happily married, her father would be Sheriff and Lamb would be a lowly deputy. She'd eat lunch at the popular table. And best of all, Lilly would still by alive, off having sexy bisexual fun at college.

And then she meets dream-Wallace who refers to her as "one of those people" -- a clear reference back to her second encounter with Wallace in the Pilot, when she's eating lunch and thinking about how she used be one of Them.

The dream is what the series is about -- if Lilly hadn't died, Veronica's life would've been better, but she would've been a much worse person, completely blind to the iniquities of Neptune that now drive her to be an avenging angel. Anyone who thinks the dream should've been excised to make room for more plot should probably flip over to Law & Order or CSI.
Old 05-10-06, 02:20 PM
Banned

The dream is what the series is about -- if Lilly hadn't died, Veronica's life would've been better, but she would've been a much worse person, completely blind to the iniquities of Neptune that now drive her to be an avenging angel.

okay, but we already knew that. Seriously. That flashback showed us no character development that was new. It was a complete waste of time.
Old 05-10-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We must have watched different episodes...
Old 05-10-06, 02:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
We must have watched different episodes...
No, I don't think so.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.