Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The West Wing - "Transition" - 4/23

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Why would Santos necessarily think the same way as Bartlett?
I think it is somewhat common practice for the campaign manager to become a chief of staff if the candidate is successfully elected. Consider it 'payment' for services rendered - Santos wouldn't have even run for Prez if it weren't for Josh.
It was mentioned by Santos very matter-of-factly, just days after winning the election, that Josh would be COS, which means that it was a decision that had already been made earlier.

So wouldn't Santos wonder why Josh wasn't promoted to COS when Leo quit, and since Santos had Leo as his running mate, wouldn't he ask Leo why Josh wasn't given the job?

And what would Leo's answer be? And whatever that was, shouldn't that give Santos some pause about giving Josh such an important job.

Also, from a viewer's POV, after watching what Leo did for six years, is there any reason why we viewers should think Josh could do that job.
Leo was a steady hand of mature leadership and experienced governing.
Josh is impulsive and kind-of a screw-up.
Old 04-24-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scrubneck
Did anyone else find it odd that Rob Lowe was not listed as a Special Guest Star? That seemed like a pretty big slight to me, considering who they regularly give that credit to.
Who do they regularly give that credit to?
Old 04-24-06, 10:09 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Rob Lowe's name was the very last name on the Credits for the episode.
Old 04-24-06, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's pretty obvious why Josh wasn't named COS - the Santos story arc was set and he was a crucial part of it. It it much more realistic to believe that the Deputy COS left the President to work with Santos than the COS.

Last edited by BobDole42; 04-24-06 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-25-06, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobDole42
I think it's pretty obvious why Josh wasn't named COS - the Santos story arc was set and he was a crucial part of it. It it much more realistic to believe that the Deputy COS left the President to work with Santos than the COS.
CJ's first day as COS was also the first episode that Santos appeared in.

I know why Josh wasn't made COS from a "It's a TV show" perspective, I'm bothered that the show is too lazy to address the repercussions of that decision in a realistic way.
Old 04-25-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
CJ's first day as COS was also the first episode that Santos appeared in.

I know why Josh wasn't made COS from a "It's a TV show" perspective, I'm bothered that the show is too lazy to address the repercussions of that decision in a realistic way.
good point. Josh has always been, IMO, a more interesting character than CJ. CJ was made COS to replace Leo for those last few months (allowing Leo to step down was also a way to make him the Santos VP). Perhaps the writers wanted to the series to wrap up with Josh's arc coming full circle - from the early days working for Bartlett to COS for his own canidate.
Old 04-25-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobDole42
Perhaps the writers wanted to the series to wrap up with Josh's arc coming full circle - from the early days working for Bartlett to COS for his own canidate.
Technically, that's not a circle

I agree with what you're saying, though. Viewed from the perspective of the end of the series, TWW is, IMHO, clearly Josh's story with a whole bunch of interesting characters besides.
Old 04-25-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Josh is impulsive and kind-of a screw-up.

You mean a screw-up who got an unelectable presidential candidate elected President.

Given what we've seen of West Wing over the year, Josh becoming a COS to the Prez is hardly a stretch.
Old 04-25-06, 02:54 PM
Banned

Who do they regularly give that credit to?
"Special guest star" has gone to John Goodman, Ron Silver, Gary Cole, Lily Tomlin, Tim Matheson, Mary-Louise Parker, I think Kristin Chenoweth before she was added to the regular cast, etc.
Old 04-25-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
You mean a screw-up who got an unelectable presidential candidate elected President.

Given what we've seen of West Wing over the year, Josh becoming a COS to the Prez is hardly a stretch.
Josh got Santos elected POTUS in spite of himself.
Time after time during the campaign, Santos succeeded when he ignored Josh's advice, and looked bad when he followed it.

Josh wanted to put on the Chicken commercial during the New Hampshire primary, and Santos decided to do live commercial and speak for himself.
Josh insisted that Santos support ethanol in Iowa, and then Vinnick does the opposite and is lauded for his bravery.
Josh had to turn to Leo for help when the campaign was struggling and the party leaders wanted Josh out.
The campaign was stuck at 5-10 points down for weeks until the nuclear thing and the Josh needed Toby's advice down the homestretch.

But, even if you give Josh credit for getting Santos elected, and Bartlet gave Josh credit for getting him elected--

Being able to get someone elected isn't the same thing as running the White House.

As I said before: After watching what Leo did for six years, is there any reason why we viewers should think Josh could do that job.

Can you imagine Josh in the situation room during a crisis with all those generals staring at him? Josh will start hearing bells and go into Noel land.
Old 04-25-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk God

CJ did it and she had zero qualifications for the job. So yes, I can totally imagine Josh as COS.
Old 04-25-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Being able to get someone elected isn't the same thing as running the White House.

Maybe that's true, but again, as I stated previously, there is a history of the campaign manager becoming COS. I just don't see what is so hard to believe about Santos giving Josh the job.
Old 04-25-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Legolas
"Special guest star" has gone to John Goodman,
During the three episodes of the Zoey kidnapping arc, Goodman appeared uncredited.
That leaves "The Stormy Present" for him to be special.
Old 04-29-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

just got done watching this and am going to say something i never thought i would say about this show.....i kinda wish it was coming back next year. from day one, i have always thought this show was best as the view of the bartlett administration. true, it could keep going, but this was so special that i didn't want it to turn into e.r. and last way too long. that being said, i really have grown to like most of the new characters and find that i think i could enjoy this show if it kept going.

however, i am still glad it's going out with some sense of dignity and not waiting till the horse is absolutely dead.