Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 06:47 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
The West Wing - "Transition" - 4/23

"Transition"
Spoiler:
The president-elect places a call to the president of China and offers a different position from the one Bartlet currently espouses.
Old 04-23-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the 4 times I laughed in the teaser, I thought Deborah Cahn had written the episode. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Peter Noah had written it.

Josh and Donna taking a vaction together? Hopefully, that means scenes of Donna in a bikini.

It definitely would be cool to see if Donna does become Helen's COS. Girlfriend/boyfriend COS?

I felt sorry for Otto for having to endure the wrath of Josh. Kudos to Sam for calling him out on it.

I wonder how much Sam is making at a attorney. From his non-answer I would guess 7 figures.

Love the knocks on the RL administration from this show.

I don't know about you guys, but I wish this show would run for a few more seasons with the new administration. It would mean more Janel Moloney, which is just fine in my book.
Old 04-23-06, 09:28 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Some good lines from Josh but a whole lot of nothing happened outside of Sam's few brief scenes.
Old 04-23-06, 10:09 PM

they had the same actor play Sam's boss as they did in the flashback from the Gunmen episode, which I guess was intentional, having Josh get him to leave his job again. I wonder if he was supposed to have gone back to the same law firm.
Old 04-23-06, 11:03 PM
Banned

So what do people think of the VP talk in the previews? I guess this would require spoiler boxes.
Old 04-23-06, 11:26 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Legolas
So what do people think of the VP talk in the previews? I guess this would require spoiler boxes.
According to the preview from the listing

Spoiler:
Santos can't get Baker confirmed so he brings in Vinick to help get Baker through. I can see this as that's what happens until the end when Santos has a revelation and offers the job to Vinick
Old 04-24-06, 12:12 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
This was a great episode, and had me wanting more of the new cabinet.

The Sit Room scene was especially good, Santos knows all about marines whereas Bartlett knew nothing in his initial times.
Old 04-24-06, 12:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrX
According to the preview from the listing

Spoiler:
Santos can't get Baker confirmed so he brings in Vinick to help get Baker through. I can see this as that's what happens until the end when Santos has a revelation and offers the job to Vinick

You know, I wouldn't put it past NBC to link together two completely unrelated clips to make the episode look like something it's not. They're not past blowing things out of proportion. There was an ER preview where it looked like some big huge outbreak was going to affect Abby because she was pregnant and couldn't get the antidote. It turned out to be like a two minute storyline that none of the characters ever panicked about.

Or how about when they took a comedic B-plot on The West Wing about some scientist nut who thinks an asteroid is going to hit the earth and made the preview look like it was serious and the main storylien?
Old 04-24-06, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another prime example was CJ's first episode as COS. The preview showed Toby handing her his letter of resignation with this ominous music behind it, and it turns out it was just a joke they were all playing on her, ending with POTUS saying he couldn't work with a woman.
Old 04-24-06, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
I was going to post this after last week's episode, but the previews told me this week's would be more appropriate.

Why would Josh be Santos' choice for Chief Of Staff?

Josh was Deputy Chief of Staff under Leo for all those years, but when Leo had to quit, Josh didn't get the promotion, they made CJ the COS.

Pretty clearly in Leo's mind and Barlet's opinion, Josh didn't have what it takes to be Chief of Staff, so why would Santos be so quick to place Josh in such a powerful position?

I wonder if Josh will realize on his own that he has what it takes to get someone elected POTUS, but that he doesn't have what it takes to run the country.
Old 04-24-06, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't see that Chinese fake-out coming.

Good to have Sam back. Guess that puts to rest the question of whether he won his race or not.
Old 04-24-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The West Wing has become The Brad Whitford Variety Hour. I'm not sure I mind.

Rob Lowe turned old while he was away.

das
Old 04-24-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I thought the same thing.
Old 04-24-06, 12:19 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I thought Rob was looking good, still in shape, and no fat
Old 04-24-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I thought Rob was looking good, still in shape, and no fat
...for an old guy.
Old 04-24-06, 12:59 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

He's no charmaine
Old 04-24-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Legolas

Nothing that a lot of people hadn't already guessed. I'm surprised they spoiled it in a preview. Oh - wait, I forgot we're talking about NBC.
Old 04-24-06, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
The reason Josh wasn't named COS when Leo had his heart attack is because the new writers had no clue who Josh was, as was evident from the way they trashed his character for months after Sorkin left. (Anyone remember him getting out of a cab and yelling at the Capitol? Sheesh.)

I remember turning to my wife as they turned Josh into an idiot ignored by everyone and saying, "This is bullshit. There's no way Leo treats him like this, even if he screwed up on a bill. Don't they remember, 'There's a guy in a hole....?'"
Old 04-24-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I was going to post this after last week's episode, but the previews told me this week's would be more appropriate.

Why would Josh be Santos' choice for Chief Of Staff?

Josh was Deputy Chief of Staff under Leo for all those years, but when Leo had to quit, Josh didn't get the promotion, they made CJ the COS.

Pretty clearly in Leo's mind and Barlet's opinion, Josh didn't have what it takes to be Chief of Staff, so why would Santos be so quick to place Josh in such a powerful position?

I wonder if Josh will realize on his own that he has what it takes to get someone elected POTUS, but that he doesn't have what it takes to run the country.

Why would Santos necessarily think the same way as Bartlett?

I think it is somewhat common practice for the campaign manager to become a chief of staff if the candidate is successfully elected. Consider it 'payment' for services rendered - Santos wouldn't have even run for Prez if it weren't for Josh.

Originally Posted by dstrauss
The reason Josh wasn't named COS when Leo had his heart attack is because the new writers had no clue who Josh was, as was evident from the way they trashed his character for months after Sorkin left. (Anyone remember him getting out of a cab and yelling at the Capitol? Sheesh.)

I remember turning to my wife as they turned Josh into an idiot ignored by everyone and saying, "This is bullshit. There's no way Leo treats him like this, even if he screwed up on a bill. Don't they remember, 'There's a guy in a hole....?'"
Very true.
Old 04-24-06, 04:32 PM
Banned

How could he possibly turn old? Lowe didn't have to work a full 22-episode season for either of his shows, so he should've gotten plenty of R&R.
Old 04-24-06, 04:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Is rob lowe supposed to be in the remaining episodes
Old 04-24-06, 04:52 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

There's three more, he'll be in the final two
Old 04-24-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrauss
Part of me agrees with what you say here, at least in the universe of the show. But I actually thought the Josh in the doghouse storyline was one of the more realistic aspects of the show. Harkened back to the pilot where Josh was almost fired for making a comment about the religious right.

It seems to me that working in the White House has the effect of eroding friendships and relationships. Most administrations do not keep the same staff throughout both terms and I am sure it is not always about being tired. People screw up and it was not unthinkable that a mistake like Josh's would lead to him being sidelined for a while, if not fired altogether.

The kind of loyalty displayed in the second year of an administration might not hold up through to the 5th or 6th year.

That being said, I think Josh was not recommended by Leo for Chief of Staff because he wanted Josh to find his own man to be the next president. With less than two years left in the Bartlett administration, there wasn't much in terms of legislation and policy that Josh would have been able to accomplish.
Old 04-24-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

das
years of stress wishing he hadn't quit the WW
Old 04-24-06, 07:52 PM

Did anyone else find it odd that Rob Lowe was not listed as a Special Guest Star? That seemed like a pretty big slight to me, considering who they regularly give that credit to.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.