Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

New Technology May Force TV Ad Viewing

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Some people do, but you're over-simplifying it. It's more about brand awareness, so when you're in the store looking at the products, you'll most likely gravitate toward ones that are stuck in your brain through advertising.
I understand that is what the advertisers and companies believe, and I'm sure they have oodles of studies to back them.
Personally, I don't browse. If I want to buy something, I go in, buy it, and leave. If I were a habitual browser, certainly the commercial I saw, or, even worse, was forced to watch, would not induce me to buy the particular item. If anything, I would avoid it out of annoyance.
Old 04-27-06, 10:03 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
This sort of thing brings me back to my fundamental question: Who actually buys/desires something based on an ad?
Tv spots for upcoming movies and ads introducing new products are the only two I can think of that could directly lead to me buying something.
Old 04-27-06, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sort of thing brings me back to my fundamental question: Who actually buys/desires something based on an ad?
I will even go as far as to try to watch the commercials during my favorite shows like Lost, 24, Survivor and Teh Office so as to lend support to the companies paying for these shows to air. I am not saying that I will end up buying their products but at least I gave them a chance to sell me on it. Another thing, commericals are not all that bad to watch, for some are quite entertaining I think.
Old 04-28-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand that is what the advertisers and companies believe, and I'm sure they have oodles of studies to back them.
Personally, I don't browse. If I want to buy something, I go in, buy it, and leave. If I were a habitual browser, certainly the commercial I saw, or, even worse, was forced to watch, would not induce me to buy the particular item. If anything, I would avoid it out of annoyance.
I'm the same, there are quite a few items I wont buy due to commericals. Soda commercials don't sway me either, I make a point to buy the store brand now days. Sure it's cheaper, but wasn't the deciding factor.