TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Chappelle spills more beans why he left

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chappelle spills more beans why he left

On an interview of Esquire mag :

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Dave Chappelle says in a new interview that he had several reasons for walking away from his cult-fave "Chappelle's Show" -- and a deal worth more than $50 million.

His decision to leave the Comedy Central series last May led fans and industry executives to question his motives, and his sanity.

But in a 10-page spread in the Esquire magazine arriving Saturday, he says he closed "Chappelle" for reasons cultural, professional and personal.

Culturally: "The bottom line was, white people own everything, and where can a black person go and be himself or say something that's familiar to him and not have to explain or apologize?"

Professionally: "I felt like I was really pressured to settle for something that I didn't necessarily feel like I wanted."

Personally: "The thing about show business is that, in a way, it forces dysfunctional relationships in people."

Chappelle tells the magazine that putting on "Chappelle's Show" was the best television experience he ever had. He plans to continue telling jokes and entertaining audiences, he says, so long as he can retain a degree of personal and creative freedom.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

starting not to like this guy....
Old 04-13-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706
Culturally: "The bottom line was, white people own everything, and where can a black person go and be himself or say something that's familiar to him and not have to explain or apologize?"
What the hell..? Is he still living in the 1800s? Yikes.
Old 04-13-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,239 Likes on 2,087 Posts
As good as Chappelle's Show is, it certainly isn't the end all be all, most life altering TV show in the history of Television as he (or anyone who ever mentions it) makes it out to be...it was goofy sketch comedy nothing more!

So your on a TV show for a few seasons you make all kinds of money and then you move on to something you really want to do. What's so hard about that?

Not to mention the fact that his "Cultural" reason sounds more like a reason to Stay with your own show.
Old 04-13-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

tell me about it.... hmmm... i was doing my thing ... making fun of the people i wanted... and getting paid a hell of a lot of money... wow.... send him to chris tuckers house and let them hang
Old 04-13-06, 11:38 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Dave Chapelle,

Shut the fuck up already. We get it.

Sincerely,

The American Public
Old 04-13-06, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He's:

A) a nutcase
B) a drug addict
C) both

I was always a huge fan of his, even before The Chappelle Show, but every interview I see or read shows that he just isn't firing on all cylinders anymore. He used to be an articulate hilarious guy with a lot of great opinions, now he should be rooming with Tom Cruise in a room with padded walls.
Old 04-13-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I need my Dave Chapelle to English translation book to understand a thing he just said...Oh wait, another celebrity bitching about being a celebrity. I get it now.
Old 04-13-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts
The more he talks, the more I dislike him. He sold out and now is playing it off like he was being forced into it. Bullshit.
Old 04-13-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Flay
Dear Dave Chapelle,

Shut the fuck up already. We get it.

Sincerely,

The American Public

Old 04-13-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't get the whole "used to like him" thing. It seems to me that he has always been pretty much the same occasionally funny, occasionally flaky dope fiend.
Old 04-13-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I wish I was a poor black guy like Dave Chappelle or Barry Bonds.
Old 04-13-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wait a minute ... I own everything? shit! why didn't someone tell me?
Old 04-13-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The bottom line was, white people own everything, and where can a black person go and be himself or say something that's familiar to him and not have to explain or apologize?
Apparently it was Comedy Central.
Old 04-13-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I don't get it. He was offered FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS to say whatever he wanted on his show. But somehow the "white man" is keeping him down. Fucking ridiculous.
Old 04-13-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts
Whoever "the next Dave Chappelle" turns out to be, his first sketch should be on Dave Chappelle. What an ingrate.
Old 04-13-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wasn't he crying some river about losing creative control? If that was part of the 50 mil deal you should have read it over before signing it.

After the 2nd interview I was fine with what he said...sure I thought wtf on some of his comments but fine he told his side of the story...but now he just continues to talk about it as if to say 'Hey Comedy Central, I want the money and my show back. Just give me more money from the DVD pie and the way my show used to be and we can both be rich bitch!'
Old 04-13-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by achau9598
wait a minute ... I own everything? shit! why didn't someone tell me?
One more reason white men become more attractive by the minute.

This guy is utterly ridiculous. He got away with more on his show than just about any comic in the past 10 years. He scewered and lambasted anyone he saw fit and was funny doing it. Black Bush? C'mon! For him to just throw it off on "The Man" is about as lame as an excuse that I can think of.

He spent years trying to reach this goal and now he was feeling pressured to settle, as opposed to doing Screwed with Norm McDonald or wearing buck teeth in The Nutty Professor.

If he was scared to live up to his own success then he should have just said that, but these lame, cryptic excuses...gimme a break.
Old 04-13-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 952 Likes on 697 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
"where can a black person go and be himself or say something that's familiar to him and not have to explain or apologize?"
The WB
Old 04-13-06, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by noonan4224
The WB
I think you mean UPN.
Old 04-13-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdfanatic22
I think you mean UPN.
I can't really tell the two apart.
Old 04-13-06, 02:22 PM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I can't really tell the two apart.
Soon you won't have to.
Old 04-13-06, 02:23 PM

All of you are wrong and Dave is right.

I understand what he's saying. At the end of the day, it doesnt matter that he was getting 50 million (and that was a pie in the sky number based on possible future DVD sales). If someone is paying you 50 million, then you know that they're getting 500 million. It's not the money he's complaining about, its the control. He felt like even though it was supposedly his show, there are these guys who are still telling him what to do. They gave him a bunch of money, so they figured they owned him. Thats not a fun feeling.

For Dave, it's not about money, because he's already rich. Now it's about feeling good about what he does, and working under those conditions, he didn't like it. And so why should he stay? Because some guy says 'I gave you all this money, so you have to do what I want'? Not many people would walk away, and I'm glad he did.

D
Old 04-13-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
His "cultural reason" cannot be taken seriously.
Old 04-13-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i like the theory where cosby and oprah were trying to silence him.
Old 04-13-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Derrich
All of you are wrong and Dave is right.

I understand what he's saying. At the end of the day, it doesnt matter that he was getting 50 million (and that was a pie in the sky number based on possible future DVD sales). If someone is paying you 50 million, then you know that they're getting 500 million. It's not the money he's complaining about, its the control. He felt like even though it was supposedly his show, there are these guys who are still telling him what to do. They gave him a bunch of money, so they figured they owned him. Thats not a fun feeling.

For Dave, it's not about money, because he's already rich. Now it's about feeling good about what he does, and working under those conditions, he didn't like it. And so why should he stay? Because some guy says 'I gave you all this money, so you have to do what I want'? Not many people would walk away, and I'm glad he did.

D

Dave is full of crap. As stated earlier in the thread, the fact that they were going to pay him 50 million shows that they would have worked out a deal giving whatever kind of control he wanted.

Dave is starting to remind of that D.L. Hughly guy. That guy always cries racism when he is just about the most racist celebrity that I have ever seen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.