Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

04/12/06 - South Park - Cartoon Wars Part II

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is hilarious.. just watching the reaction from the religious kooks and the atheist kooks, quality entertainment.
Old 04-14-06, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brizz
which show? i'd love to see this

I believe it was Your World w/ Cavuto. I just turned it on and their was some e-mail feedback on the episode. Jeez people need to see the episode and make their own opinions. I mean they just think that they showed jesus and bush shitting on each other to make fun of Christianity. Most of the feedback said I haven't watched it but I know its horrible and I'm offended.
Old 04-14-06, 03:45 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
...and now Comedy Central and the FCC are about to get a ton of form letters from people who never saw the episode complaining about how offensive it was.
Old 04-14-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Other than the Isaac Hayes issue.. when was the last time South Park was this.. "hot?"
Old 04-14-06, 03:49 PM

Prob around 1997, when they were gonna destroy society.
Old 04-14-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by grunter
ISthreatening to kill the President an artistic work? No, it's not.
http://www.theater2k.com/KIllPrez082604.html
Old 04-14-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I can't not respond to this (how's that for a double negative?).

That's like saying that refraining from criticizing Islam out of fear of violence is the same as refraining from threatening to kill the President out of fear of prosecution. Hey, you censored yourself out of fear. Same thing, right?
Uh oh. Lawyer fight. Meow.
Old 04-15-06, 07:55 PM
kk8
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Actually, you're comparing apples and oranges.

A network says: "We want a show that doesn't cross this line."
The producer says: "We want to give you a show, so we won't cross that line".
No fear there.

This episode was a scathing critique of America's response to the whole Danish cartoon mess. Instead of saying "Hey, those rioters are crazy. We support the Danish people's right to free expression." we said "The rioters are right! We had nothing to do with it! In fact, we won't even reprint the cartoons because of how much we agree with the rioters! Please don't blow us up or burn our embassies!! We won't offend you, oh mighty jihadists!!"

The episode was a plea for us to not give away our entire way of life to Islamic totalitarians.

Actually I thought these episodes were more about Comedy Central pulling episodes, just like Cartman was trying to have done to Family Guy with the whole Muhammed thing as sort of a side story (they've already shown Muhammed why the sudden need to do it again?). Just like Cartman says in the episode if you give in to one group than everyone will start complaining and you won't have a show. I really thought this was more a dig at the scientologists getting "Trapped in the Closet" pulled and Catholics getting "Bloody Mary" pulled, now that you throw in Muslims it seems like a snowball effect of who CC is caving to just like the plot Cartman wanted to use against Family Guy.
Old 04-16-06, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've only seen one episode with those 'censored' cards in it. The one were everyone eats with their butt.

And I noticed the Trapper Keeper episode was cut when I saw the syndicated version the other day... They cut out Mrs. Cartman and Bill Cosby in bed.

What else have they cut in syndication?
Old 04-16-06, 03:03 AM

I found this clip from Fox News that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d1uUiZgTp...h=south%20park
Old 04-16-06, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As expected, that Cavuto blurb was all up in arms for the wrong reason. Neil and his guest totally missed the concept of the show. They continued to rail on SP ripping on Christians, but failed to point out their ongoing shots at Mormons, Jews, Scientologists, etc.

And one of the points of the episode (in my opinion) was to show how the rest of the non-Muslim world can take a joke about religion*, whereas the Muslims get all freaked out over a simeple image of their figurehead--whether it's offensive or not.

*Save for the Bloody Mary episode and the Scientologists
Old 04-16-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SleepyW
And one of the points of the episode (in my opinion) was to show how the rest of the non-Muslim world can take a joke about religion*, whereas the Muslims get all freaked out over a simeple image of their figurehead--whether it's offensive or not.

*Save for the Bloody Mary episode and the Scientologists
Or at least if they can't take a joke, that they don't kill people over it.
Old 04-16-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You know that dude in Scanners whose head explodes? That's me after reading through the bickering in this thread.
Old 04-16-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kk8
Actually I thought these episodes were more about Comedy Central pulling episodes, just like Cartman was trying to have done to Family Guy with the whole Muhammed thing as sort of a side story (they've already shown Muhammed why the sudden need to do it again?). Just like Cartman says in the episode if you give in to one group than everyone will start complaining and you won't have a show. I really thought this was more a dig at the scientologists getting "Trapped in the Closet" pulled and Catholics getting "Bloody Mary" pulled, now that you throw in Muslims it seems like a snowball effect of who CC is caving to just like the plot Cartman wanted to use against Family Guy.
These things were obviously inspirations for the show, but the scenes about burying our heads in the sand and the speech made by the town guy about how we must let the terrorists know that WE don't agree with the cartoons and won't look at them or reprint them is exactly what the U.S. did in response to the riots. At the end Kyle even said "People will get hurt, that's how terrorism works. But if we censor ourselves, then we're making sure that terrorism works.". That seems to me to be the overriding message. But you're right that Comedy Central's pulling of the Scientology episode and their new policy regarding any images of mohammed are definitely elements of these episodes.
Old 04-16-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by JP5683
I've only seen one episode with those 'censored' cards in it. The one were everyone eats with their butt.

And I noticed the Trapper Keeper episode was cut when I saw the syndicated version the other day... They cut out Mrs. Cartman and Bill Cosby in bed.

What else have they cut in syndication?
Almost every TV show gets 2-3 minutes cut out when it airs in syndication so they can jam in more ads.
Old 04-17-06, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.wwtdd.com/index.php?type=one&i=834

So what really happened on South Park last Wednesday night during the episode about Family Guy and the controversy around airing images of the Muslim prophet Muhammad? At the end of the show, during a scene that alluded to Muhammad, the screen went to black and announced:

"In this shot, Muhammad hands a football helmet to Family Guy. Comedy Central has refused to broadcast an image of Mohammed on their network."

Which is odd because when Catholics complained about a recent episode mocking the Virgin Mary and religious miracles, Comedy Central wasn't so sensitive:

"As satirists, we believe that it is our First Amendment right to poke fun at any and all people, groups, organizations and religions and we will continue to defend that right."

The truth is that this wasn't a gag by South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker, they drew the scene with Muhammad and Comedy Central refused to broadcast it. Which is weird of course because Comedy Central has already broadcast an image of Muhammad a few dozen times. On South Park. During Season six, Episode 4, when Muhammad was one of the Super Best Friends in the show about David Blaine. And not only is his image shown, but he's shown getting his ass kicked and making semen jokes, which kinda does seem worse than getting a glass of iced tea with Peter Griffin.

You can see all four of the clips mentioned here:

the South Park Muhammed clip uncensored here

Muhammad as one of the Super Best Friends here

a longer, more pointless clip of Muhammad as a SBF here
I figured that was the main reason for then being pissed at Comedy Central. From now on, it's open season on what they can and cannot make fun of...kind of a downer. That's what's so great about the show, NOTHING is off limits...until now.

And I realize this topic has been discussed to death, I just don't want to see this being the beginning of the end.
Old 04-18-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just don't understand the hypocracy. It's not ok to make fun of mohammad or scientology, but it IS ok to make fun of Christians.

They should be able to make fun of all of them, or none of them. None of this favoritism.
Old 04-22-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Re: 04/12/06 - South Park - Cartoon Wars Part II

Originally Posted by slop101
Oh my God!
C'mon!

First of all, they've arleady shown Mohammad on South Park before - not that long ago, and Comedy Central has re-run it numorous times with no edits.

Second, just the way that their "Peter Griffin" opens the door for Mohammad, and the way he's standing in the doorway, just out of sight, makes it even more obvious that they never inteded to show him in this episode.
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Are you for real?

I'm not one to say I told you so...but...

Last edited by Spiderbite; 04-22-10 at 01:20 PM.