Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Firefly Episode....

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Best Firefly Episode...
"Serenity", Parts 1 and 2
4.26%
"The Train Job" and "War Stories"
3.19%
"Bushwhacked"
0%
"Shindig"
2.13%
"Safe"
0%
"Our Mrs. Reynolds" and "Trash"
22.34%
"Jaynestown" and "Heart of Gold"
8.51%
"Out of Gas" and "The Message"
34.04%
"Ariel"
8.51%
"Objects in Space"
17.02%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Best Firefly Episode....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-06, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought "The Train Job" was one of the strongest episodes, since it felt like Firefly as a series was really hitting it's stride after the somewhat muddled pilot episode, "Heart of Gold" was not really one of the weakest installments in Firefly at all plus it included a good guest star, Melinda Clarke.

I thought "Safe", "Shindig" and "Bushwhacked" were the comparitively weak installments, while the rest of the episodes are brilliant and it's still very hard to pick out a favourite episode. I have to sit through Firefly again to see if my favourite episodes hold up to repeat viewing and I might change my mind on what the best Firefly episode is.

I am surprised by how underrated "Ariel" was or how popular "Objects in Space" still is among many Firefly fans, since I thought "Objects in Space" was somwhat rambling despite the creepy atmosphere and although it's great as a self-contained episode it felt slightly underwhelming as the show's send off episode.

Last edited by Cancer Man; 03-26-06 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-27-06, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ariel is my favorite.
Old 03-27-06, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't think I can pick a favorite! If that changes, then I'll vote, but as of now, I just can't. Although, "Bushwhacked" to me was the weakest episode (though it certainly had it's enjoyable moments, like the interrogation scenes).
Old 04-02-06, 04:37 AM

I think "Jaynetown", "War Stories" and "Ariel" are the most entertaining to me, even though they are relatively light weight in comparison to fan favourites, "Objects in Space" and "Our Mrs. Reynolds".

I thought "Out of Gas" was plodding and overrated, although far from terrible (I liked it when the Serenity dumped most of it's oxygen through the airlock to extinguish a fire, plus the flashbacks where Mal employs Kaylee and appeals to Jayne's wallet are entertaining).
Old 04-02-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

every single episode was fantastic.

moments in space is simply brilliant.
Old 04-02-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bought Firefly and haven't opened it yet. I read several reviews and it sounds like I will probably enjoy the plot and the actors in the series... but I read one big red flag in a few reviews: apparently the directors purposefully filmed the series with handhelds, blurs, shaky-cam style, and fast zooms.

I utterly despise that type of filming, and I need to know from some people who have watched the series roughly what percentage of the show is filmed in this fashion. I think I might be able to tolerate this occasionally (such as during action sequences), but if the majority of the series is this way I need to return the DVD set unopened.

For instance, when people speak together, does the camera usually stay still or are there simple cuts, or does the camera fly back and forth between each person speaking which would make me dizzy? When there are fast zooms, are they ever pointless ones like zooming into someone's ear or shoelace which has no relevance to anything?

If nobody can answer this, then my default action will be to return the set. I'm hoping people will say this style (which I've called "MTV slop style" for years) is rare. For instance, I was able to tolerate The Bourne Supremacy, though it was borderline. FWIW, I don't remember seeing this style in Serenity, so either it was used moderately or it was done well. I was hoping the Firefly series would be just more of Serenity.
Old 04-02-06, 06:16 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Manzana
I bought Firefly and haven't opened it yet. I read several reviews and it sounds like I will probably enjoy the plot and the actors in the series... but I read one big red flag in a few reviews: apparently the directors purposefully filmed the series with handhelds, blurs, shaky-cam style, and fast zooms.

I utterly despise that type of filming, and I need to know from some people who have watched the series roughly what percentage of the show is filmed in this fashion. I think I might be able to tolerate this occasionally (such as during action sequences), but if the majority of the series is this way I need to return the DVD set unopened.

For instance, when people speak together, does the camera usually stay still or are there simple cuts, or does the camera fly back and forth between each person speaking which would make me dizzy? When there are fast zooms, are they ever pointless ones like zooming into someone's ear or shoelace which has no relevance to anything?

If nobody can answer this, then my default action will be to return the set. I'm hoping people will say this style (which I've called "MTV slop style" for years) is rare. For instance, I was able to tolerate The Bourne Supremacy, though it was borderline. FWIW, I don't remember seeing this style in Serenity, so either it was used moderately or it was done well. I was hoping the Firefly series would be just more of Serenity.
The style is simlar to what you saw in Serenity. It works for the series. It definitely draws you more into the action, especially during scenes of the 3D space ship where the camera is moving and motion tracked. It adds a sense of realism and "being there". It's nothing too dramatic like Bourne Supremacy. It's done very well and simply works great for this series.
Old 04-02-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Jaynestown for me, the song alone is classic.
Old 04-03-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Slayer2005
The style is simlar to what you saw in Serenity. It works for the series. It definitely draws you more into the action, especially during scenes of the 3D space ship where the camera is moving and motion tracked. It adds a sense of realism and "being there". It's nothing too dramatic like Bourne Supremacy. It's done very well and simply works great for this series.
Thanks. I was worried for a moment because a few reviews made somewhat of a deal about it. Either my memory is worse than I thought about the style in Serenity (I don't remember that much shaky camera work in it) or it was well done. I'm not bothered by handheld cameras as much as people purposefully shaking them or trying to distract or make me dizzy.

Do others agree with Slayer2005's opinion that the camerawork in the series is on the same level as Serenity and not constant shaky vision? I wish I could remember the name of the series I once flipped by (it was some police drama) where the camera work was so bad it was unwatchable, but of course I didn't stick with it long enough to know. When the cameraman zoomed into the guy's ear and then into his shoes while he was talking for no reason, I immediately changed channels. I wish there were warning labels on DVDs that are filmed like that. I just wanted to make sure Firefly wasn't that way.
Old 04-03-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I just finished this series for the first time last night. I agree with Slayer. The shaky cam is not in your face like Bourne, it is barely noticable. I don't even recall it much. I did enjoy the intentional blurs though, a nice unique touch.

As for episodes, I meanered along and took about 3 months to watch the whole box so my memory isn't so fresh on all the episodes. I really enjoyed the finale "Objects in Space." Probably moreso than the rest, but there is little to no character development other than Early. That one is definitely more plot driven than character driven, unlike the majority of the show.
Old 04-05-06, 02:43 AM

"Out of Gas", "Objects in Space", "War Stories", "Ariel", "Our Mrs. Reynolds", "Trash", and "Serenity" are my favorite episodes to watch over and over. I don't think there was a single bad episode, though some were rather middling, like "Safe" and "Heart of Gold".