DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   the Sopranos -- "Join the Club" -- 03.19.2006 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/459417-sopranos-join-club-03-19-2006-a.html)

JasonF 03-21-06 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
And wow, I wasn't expecting her to be quite as hysterical as she was after seeing Tony in the hospital. I can't decide how real of a reaction that was; afterall, Janice loves to always be the center of attention.

I think you got it in one -- Janice breaks down sobbing, and suddenly Barbara and Carmela are paying attention to her instead of Tony.

By the way, can I just say thanks for talking about Janice in the same post where you talk about sexualizing the female cast members. :yack:

andicus 03-21-06 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
I think you got it in one -- Janice breaks down sobbing, and suddenly Barbara and Carmela are paying attention to her instead of Tony.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as I watched it. Carm's got the grief and suddenly Janice has the attention.

clckworang 03-21-06 07:50 PM

By the way, can I just say thanks for talking about Janice in the same post where you talk about sexualizing the female cast members. :yack:

Come on, you can't tell me that you haven't gotten turned on seeing that saggy tit with the Rolling Stones tattoo!

Braddok 03-21-06 08:51 PM

Good point. It reminded me of when their mother passed away. Tony called her to tell her and Janice had a "so what" attitude. But when she got to the house, she started sobbing and carrying on.

covenant 03-21-06 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
You know, he is far from the only person who repeatedly makes sexual comments about TV characters and actors. The only difference is that he is the only one making comments about Gandolfini/Tony Soprano so he tends to stand out a bit more.

Only two people have mentioned Meadow sexually
Half (4/8) of his posts have been about Tony.

I could understand your point if lot's of people were commenting on Meadow, but that's not the case.

And the people who are mentioning her aren't doing it over and over again.

anywho....that's my take on it.
It's up to grunter if he wants to gay it down a little ;)

wildcatlh 03-21-06 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by covenant
Only two people have mentioned Meadow sexually
Half (4/8) of his posts have been about Tony.

I could understand your point if lot's of people were commenting on Meadow, but that's not the case.

And the people who are mentioning her aren't doing it over and over again.

anywho....that's my take on it.

Then put him on ignore and stop complaining. Sheesh. That's what the ignore function is there for. DO that if it bothers you so much.

raven56706 03-21-06 09:19 PM

Meadow looks hot but needs to eat..... opps.... :rock:

covenant 03-21-06 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by WildcatLH
Then put him on ignore and stop complaining. Sheesh. That's what the ignore function is there for. DO that if it bothers you so much.

But I would miss out on all the non-tony stuff he has to say. Baby out with the dishwater equation.

oh and

"Sheesh":rolleyes:

clckworang 03-21-06 09:59 PM

I guess part of it for me is that it's not just this thread that I'm talking about. It is fairly common on threads for all the different shows. So if you want to get on one person about it, you need to complain about all of them.

Although I think it all gets old (talking about the hotness of the men and women), I don't complain about it until someone else does and mainly because one person is usually getting singled out instead of all the others who have been guilty of the same thing.

I don't really care what or who the posters talk about, just as long as I feel like we are being fair and not sinking to personal attacks. And in this case, I don't think it is fair to single out the one person.

Original Desmond 03-21-06 10:24 PM

I didn't mind the Dream sequence BUT i don't want many if any repeat performances

I also hope the show focuses purely on the tussle for power including AJ in the mix.

I hope they don't abandon the Johnney sachs side of the story too

Id hit Meadow :)

Gil Jawetz 03-22-06 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by andicus
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Christopher's line last night:

"How goes the war on terror anyway?"
"I heard Fieldcrest reported a truckload of towels missing." :lol:

That whole little scene was fantastic. And for such a tiny scene it accomplished a lot. It re-establishes Chris' contact with the feds, it set up a terror subplot, and it was just great to see how much those feds legitimately enjoy hanging out with the wiseguys.

Great episode. It's interesting to see Tony being treated like a shlub, getting no respect, etc... I for one thought the dream sequences were great and completely on point. Gene's request to leave the mob life behind is obviously rumbling around in Tony's mind.

And I love when AJ calls Junior a mummy and a goober. I've always loved Junior's crabby self and those words are so perfect from a kids perspective.

swankywanky 03-22-06 08:51 AM

Didn't get a chance to read all the posts in this thread - but I agree with those that said Tony is in purgatory right now.

and if you don't like the "dream" sequences, you better grab a good book - I think they're going to be there for at least the next 5-6 weeks.

if you haven't seen it, rent Jacob's Ladder with Tim Robbins - I have a strong feeling the themes in that flick are gonna be the same as this season (or at the first half or so of this season)

Charlie Goose 03-22-06 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by kms_md
if the surgical wound was contaminated it would be packed (with two to three daily packing changes) and allowed to close on its own -- a process which would take about 4 to 6 weeks.

Yeah, I had something similar a few years ago when I got a post-op infection from my appendectomy. It wasn't as big as Tony's, fortunately.
It has to be packed several times daily, so the wound closes from the bottom up. Otherwise, the outer skin would close first leaving a pouch inside. It took a few weeks for mine to close, so I can imagine how long it would take for something so much larger. I can confirm that it sucked big time.

ckw4b 03-22-06 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
And what happened to Tony's other sister? She used to be a hot, petite thing. Now she's an Amazon. I assume the original actress is unavailable...or did she change that much?

Tony's sister Barbara is definitely played by a different actress. I have no idea why they switched actresses.

Patman 03-22-06 03:12 PM

Tony's other sister being played by different actress appears to have become a running joke nowadays.

Brent L 03-26-06 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by covenant
Please, nearly every post he makes has some form of sexual content. It's not limited to this thread.
I'm glad someone else finally mentioned it.

I've been posting here for a while now, but only just now noticed grunter for the first time in this thread, and I agree with you 100% after reading this thread. In this thread alone:

1) P.S. I wasn't so much horrified at Tony's gaping wound, as I was at seeing that beautiful expanse of Tony-gut shaved to pre-pubescence. Damn this show and its plausible realities. I don't care if in "real" surgery, you're supposed to shave the patient. I want "my Tony" to remain furry, dagnabit. *pout*[/QUOTE]

2)

. . . like someone said who wants to see James laying in bed all day.
I do.

But only if it's my bed.

3) Unless "my Tony" were free-ballin' it whilst having this vision.

Then it would be the bestest ending EVER.

4) And fuh-laming at that.

I suppose I was the only one who thought "my Tony's" Fred Flintstone beard shadow was beyond "hawt," eh?

God, I'm such a perv.

This is a lot different that someone posting a picture of Meadow, or saying another one of the women are hot. This poster just keeps at it over and over again, and it's not just in this thread either.

Eh, just wanted to point out that I noticed it also.

I recently finished watching all of the seasons to catch up to where we are now in season six. Tonight I watched the end of season five and then watched the first two episodes of season six, and I must say that how season six has started out, it's a huge shock after the season five ending. Up until that last episode in season five it looked like a huge war was going to start up, but the last episode pretty much put an end to that, or at least calmed it way down. I didn't expect this to be the start of season six at all, so it totally knocked me on my ass.

Now that we've had an entire episode pretty much just dedicated to Tony's blood family and how this is hurting all of them so, I want to see an episode pretty soon that shows the daily workings of Tony's other family, the power struggles, how the guys in NY view all of this, and on and on.

There is so much that they could do with AJ and Christopher, so that should be a great ride. I just hope that Tony doesn't die, seriously. Had they done it quick I would have been all for it, to see where things could have went from there, but after seeing him in the hospital fighting for his life, how it's affected his family and all of that, it would just suck for him to just die now. If he does live, I doubt we'll see much of him on his feet (other than in dreams) until the eight episodes that will come out next year.

I also wish that they would continue the series. This entire thing with Christopher, AJ, and all of that, it would be great to actually be able to see those two guys evolve more and more.

All in all, they have set the stage for one hell of a season. I don't have a clue where they are really going to go from here, but it looks like it's going to be very, very interesting.

I'll add this though - after watching the first five seasons over the past month or so, it's going to be hell having to wait a week before new episodes, then months after this first run. Ugh!

Jadzia 03-26-06 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
You do know they're cousins right?

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Third

Genealogy geek here, but they are actually first cousins, twice removed.

As far as AJ, I think the character would have more possibilities for growth in this show if he was a better actor. He has not really grown into this role in a way that would beplausible for him to move into a more mobster role.

Goat3001 03-26-06 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
As far as AJ, I think the character would have more possibilities for growth in this show if he was a better actor. He has not really grown into this role in a way that would beplausible for him to move into a more mobster role.

I agree. I think the show is headed towards him being a gangster but I just can't see the actor do that.