DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   the Sopranos -- "Join the Club" -- 03.19.2006 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/459417-sopranos-join-club-03-19-2006-a.html)

Michael Ballack 03-20-06 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I urge you not to enter any Simpson threads. :lol:

No kidding :lol: Actually, this weeks thread is very pleasant.

dgmayor 03-20-06 06:54 PM

Just a few things. As far as who he is in the dream, he's definately Anthony Soprano. When he first calls home, the kids say The Soprano's residence on the answering machine, and the wife calls him tony many times.

Also, how can nobody mention the fact that Vito said maybe Gene killed himself because he realized "maybe he was a homo; felt there was nobody he could talk to about it. That happens too". Was that his way of trying to come out himself? ;)

sdcrym 03-20-06 06:59 PM

That's not the light I'm referring to. This is the spinning light on top of a nearby building (as I said, possibly an aircraft warning light, or a heliport beacon). It's the last thing Finnerty looks at before the end credits.

I must not have noticed that one. I'll be on the lookout during the encore.

Numanoid 03-20-06 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by dgmayor
Also, how can nobody mention the fact that Vito said maybe Gene killed himself because he realized "maybe he was a homo; felt there was nobody he could talk to about it. That happens too". Was that his way of trying to come out himself? ;)

It was mentioned by brizz in post #48.

Numanoid 03-20-06 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by sdcrym
I must not have noticed that one. I'll be on the lookout during the encore.

It's the first thing Tony/Finnerty sees when he sits up in bed at the beginning of the dream, and the last thing he sees at the end of the episode. It bookends the entire dream sequence and is obviously quite meaningful.

johnnysd 03-20-06 08:29 PM

Aj will become boss

I said this last week, and was derisively mocked, but this week's episode definitely showed the direction it is going:

I have always felt the ultimate point of the Sopranos was for AJ to wind up in the family business probably as boss. Tony has done everything he can to see that he does not take this path, but the influences of Tony's liferstyle, friends and mob cronies ultimately has too much pull on AJ. They have shown AJ to be tough, have good street smarts and to fail at anything "normal" he tries. His dad getting shot is the final push, similar to "The Godfather" which not surprisingly has a similar arc.

jmaxlow 03-20-06 08:40 PM

Note that Tony and AJ also both played football, both dropped out of college, and both saw their fathers arrested at a young age. Both had sisters that were daddy's little girls, both had friction with their mothers, both have panic attacks... and both were working on mullets, apparently.

The only thing missing is that AJ doesn't have a close cousin to get into the life with... but he certainly has a big in with his idea to whack uncle Junior... just as Tony had the card game.

It may be feel like a rush job, but I could see AJ joining the life.

vegasbaby 03-20-06 09:46 PM

Did a contract dispute put Tony in the coma?

What's the point of it all if everyone knows that if Gandolfini dies the show's finished.

Are they going to have Walnuts be the center of the show?

Only Gandolfini can carry this show.

sdcrym 03-20-06 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by vegasbaby
Did a contract dispute put Tony in the coma?

What's the point of it all if everyone knows that if Gandolfini dies the show's finished.

Are they going to have Walnuts be the center of the show?

Only Gandolfini can carry this show.

No, Uncle Junior shot him.

Numanoid 03-20-06 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by vegasbaby

Err, it's the last season. :lol:

Boot 03-20-06 11:34 PM

Err, it's the last season. :lol:

Has that been confirmed? Cause I've heard rumors that it might NOT be the last season.

Chew 03-21-06 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Boot
Has that been confirmed? Cause I've heard rumors that it might NOT be the last season.

I think the initial report was it was the last season (split in two), but I also read "he might change his mind" in a recent article.

Cusm 03-21-06 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Cant there be one thread without someone gushing over some prick all the time and derailing everything?

To be fair we should then have no more pics or comments on Meadow in further threads.

andicus 03-21-06 10:08 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Christopher's line last night:

"How goes the war on terror anyway?"
"I heard Fieldcrest reported a truckload of towels missing." :lol:

Overall, not a bad episode. It's interesting to see the liberties people are taking with "Finnerty" that would not go unpunished in Tony's world.

Tommy Ceez 03-21-06 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I said this last week, and was derisively mocked, but this week's episode definitely showed the direction it is going:

I have always felt the ultimate point of the Sopranos was for AJ to wind up in the family business probably as boss. Tony has done everything he can to see that he does not take this path, but the influences of Tony's liferstyle, friends and mob cronies ultimately has too much pull on AJ. They have shown AJ to be tough, have good street smarts and to fail at anything "normal" he tries. His dad getting shot is the final push, similar to "The Godfather" which not surprisingly has a similar arc.

Watch the BBC miniseries I CALUDIUS to see where the show was going, had Livia not died.

Hint...AJ=Claudius

Cusm 03-21-06 11:12 AM

Poor Paulie, someone is always fucking him, twice in this episode, first Vito (although he survived that one) and then Chris.

Is it just me or is Vito acting a little weird? It seems like he is thinking of making a move or a snitch, hope it is neither. Although if his homosexuality comes to light I could see him flipping to save his life.

covenant 03-21-06 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cusm
To be fair we should then have no more pics or comments on Meadow in further threads.

Please, nearly every post he makes has some form of sexual content. It's not limited to this thread.
I'm glad someone else finally mentioned it.

on topic: I don't think there's enough time in this season to develop a storyline with AJ joining the family business. Who knows.

Numanoid 03-21-06 11:20 AM

Vito is definitely positioning himself for a step up. Remember last episode when he told Gino that if something ever happened to Tony that he (Vito) might be in charge?

Another thing about the dream symbolism (though it was pretty much spelled out for us stupid viewers) - Tony's dream name is Kevin Finnerty. Remember the guy at the bar making the joke about the Lexus because his name sounds like "Infinity".

Numanoid 03-21-06 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by covenant
Please, nearly every post he makes has some form of sexual content. It's not limited to this thread.

Some of us Otters sometimes forget that the rest of the site isn't quite like it is in Other.

raven56706 03-21-06 12:23 PM

i have a theory from someone at work but let me see what you think of it

Spoiler:
I think Tony will be in a coma for a while.... in his dreams he will face all the realities of his real life but still think he is kevin finnerty. While in the coma, all of the gang will self destruct. His son will kill the uncle. Before you know it, he will come out of the coma and not want to be apart of the lifestyle anymore... ala Goodfellas....

my co worker wants to know our opinion on this theory?

kvrdave 03-21-06 02:55 PM

I should get my flame suit on, I suppose. Tony got incredibly fat. Every time he is on the screen I think, "Wow, you were never small, but this? Dang man, you are just huge."

And I thought this episode was boring as hell. It had one or two moments that were engaging, and maybe it all leads to something where we sit back and go, "Ahhhh, that was all set up in episode 2" and I would be fine with that. I don't need a hit every episode, and I prefer the episodes that have very little violence, but this was still a stinker. I know I am tredding into serious troubled water that would be similar to pointing out that Pearl Jam doesn't have it anymore.

So while people can sit back and think that they are the "real" Sopranos fans because they enjoyed this, I can't do it. I am hopeful that next week will be less boring.

Ravenous 03-21-06 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by tboogie
Actually the wound was pretty realistic looking. I'm a health care worker and have had to debride many wounds like that. It's supposed to heal from the inside out--that's why it's left open like that. Also, adipose tissue (fat) would have been debrided out to allow for healing.

Ahhh. Well from what Ive seen, theres always fat. If they debride it for the wound, shouldnt the hole have looked like a sort of upside down volcano or something?

Has anyone said why the hole is so big? I think I heard he got infected or contaminated from some organ getting hit, but I didnt think anything like that would affect the entry wound itself.

SoSpacey 03-21-06 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by johnnysd

while i agree that AJ will wind up in the family business, he will NOT be boss. not by the end of the series at least.

maybe if they do A Very Soprano Christmas in 15 years.

kms_md 03-21-06 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Ahhh. Well from what Ive seen, theres always fat. If they debride it for the wound, shouldnt the hole have looked like a sort of upside down volcano or something?

Has anyone said why the hole is so big? I think I heard he got infected or contaminated from some organ getting hit, but I didnt think anything like that would affect the entry wound itself.

if the surgical wound was contaminated it would be packed (with two to three daily packing changes) and allowed to close on its own -- a process which would take about 4 to 6 weeks.

clckworang 03-21-06 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by covenant

on topic: I don't think there's enough time in this season to develop a storyline with AJ joining the family business. Who knows.

You know, he is far from the only person who repeatedly makes sexual comments about TV characters and actors. The only difference is that he is the only one making comments about Gandolfini/Tony Soprano so he tends to stand out a bit more.

I wade through each thread of all the shows I watch with people repeatedly drooling over all the female cast members, debating which ones they like more and which outfit they looked best in, etc. Is this any different? Absolutely not. If you want someone to quit drooling over the guys, then be equal opportunity and ask everyone who drools over Meadow and anyone else on any other show thread to stop. As it is, we had two separate people post the same picture of Meadow pages apart. Is that really necessary?

As for the ep, I thought it was pretty good. I got more into the dream sequence than I expected myself to. And as someone else kinda said earlier, while I was watching this ep, I kept thinking, "I guess this is the episode they will be submitting to the Emmy voters for Edie Falco."

And did anyone else think Janice might have had her suspicions about the gay mob guy after his comment? It was something about the look she made after he said that. And wow, I wasn't expecting her to be quite as hysterical as she was after seeing Tony in the hospital. I can't decide how real of a reaction that was; afterall, Janice loves to always be the center of attention.