Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Race 9 -- 3/07/06

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be eliminated on Leg 2?
Lake & Michelle
0%
Danielle & Dani
0%
BJ & Tyler
3.70%
Ray & Yolanda
0%
David & Lori
3.70%
Lisa & Joni
74.07%
Joseph & Monica
0%
Wanda & Desiree
3.70%
Eric & Jeremy
0%
Fran & Barry
14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

The Amazing Race 9 -- 3/07/06

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phil is perfect for the race...the only interaction the players have with him is at the pit stop, and he cannot tip his hand too early, or you would never get the good reaction shots....thats why the stone face.
Old 03-09-06, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Groucho
When the Frosties were eliminated, I was hoping Phil would ask "Where's your Jesus now?!?"

As for those who don't like Phil, I suggest you watch some of the extended interviews and Phil's web diaries. He's actually very much into the game, and has some interesting insights on the contestants.
Now THAT would have been funny.

Regarding Phil, he was on KROQ 106.7 in Los Angeles on Tuesday morning and you are right, he really is into the game and came up with obscure facts from previous seasons. He is much different than Jeff, as in, he doesn't want to be too big a part of the story. He feels that the contestants are the focus and that his role is much smaller.

And he did say that though he has never been beaten to the pit stop, some teams have gotten close.

Chris
Old 03-09-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Phil is perfect for the race...the only interaction the players have with him is at the pit stop, and he cannot tip his hand too early, or you would never get the good reaction shots....thats why the stone face.
True, although remember that teams are at the pitstop for 12 hours, so they see a good deal of Phil. I wish we'd get to see more of what happens at the pitstop, not on the actual telecast, but maybe some on the website or something.
Old 03-09-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
BTW, didnt Phil finish as the runner-up for the Survivor job?
Old 03-09-06, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Achtung
True, although remember that teams are at the pitstop for 12 hours, so they see a good deal of Phil. I wish we'd get to see more of what happens at the pitstop, not on the actual telecast, but maybe some on the website or something.
Now THAT would be great!

That way we could see where a lot of the animosity comes from between the teams. Sure we see some of the causes during the race, but I bet a lot happens during the pitstops and it would be very interesting to see.

Chris
Old 03-09-06, 02:49 PM

BTW, didnt Phil finish as the runner-up for the Survivor job?
I did not know that!

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2006/02/26/1462968.html

After nine seasons of chasing teams around the world from pit-stop to pit-stop, Keoghan, who was CBS' second pick for host of Survivor behind Jeff Probst, says he still loves his job.

Chris
Old 03-09-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Now THAT would be great!

That way we could see where a lot of the animosity comes from between the teams. Sure we see some of the causes during the race, but I bet a lot happens during the pitstops and it would be very interesting to see.

Chris
There used to be alot of Pitstop footage...Reichen/Chip admitted they were gay, and Millie and the Dude admitted they were Virgins at a pitstop dinner.
Old 03-09-06, 02:51 PM

And regarding the above, I think that CBS picked perfectly the hosting roles for both shows. In an enclosed setting (Survivor) you want a host that is in your face and who actually becomes part of the story.

In an open setting (TAR) you want someone who is less hands on, but is still able to create drama and laughter by his reactions to the teams.

Chris
Old 03-09-06, 03:07 PM

Here's an old interview with Phil back in 2002.

http://ch5.mediacorptv.com/wassup/ho...iew/14/1/.html

See if you knew these facts about Phil Keoghan:

• He had auditioned initially for Survivor but eventually lost out to current Survivor host Jeff Probst. However, rejection paved the way to what he calls the "dream job" and on TAR now, Keoghan gets to combine his 2 great loves in life: travel and people.

• He races harder than any team on the show. “I have to finish with the last team and then leap ahead of the 1st one to get to the next destination. So there's a constant pressure of trying to stay ahead." The resulting time gap is sometimes just a couple of hours, and he averages just about 2 ½ hours of sleep a night.

• The greatest difficulty Keoghan faces on TAR is being unable to encourage the contestants as they face difficulties along the way. "You just can't. It's not your role…. My job as host is really to help communicate the drama and enhance the show for the viewers, along with being there as the contestants are knocked off during the competition."

This was 3 1/2 years ago and since this current season is the most flying in the shortest amount of days, I'm sure he is only getting about 1 ½ hours of sleep a night!

Chris
Old 03-09-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
what did phil do before AR? As we all know, probst was on Music Jeopardy.
Old 03-09-06, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
what did phil do before AR? As we all know, probst was on Music Jeopardy.
From CBS

BIO

Phil Keoghan has worked all over the world as a cameraman, producer and host. Since the age of 19, Keoghan has hosted more than 1,000 program episodes, including his own internationally distributed series Keoghan's Heroes, which profiles famous thrill-seekers around the world.

Keoghan got his big break in front of the camera hosting the series Spot On, when he auditioned while on an apprentice program for cinematography. Since then, he has co-created and co-produced the primetime series for Discovery International, Phil Keoghan's Adventure Crazy, which is one of the highest-rated series on the Travel Channel in the U. S. and is currently broadcast worldwide. His additional television credits include Go For It, an extreme sports show on the Discovery Channel; Fox After Breakfast, a morning show; and The 1998 Film Festival Awards on the Sundance Channel. In 1999, he co-hosted the primetime CBS special Surprise, Surprise.

He is currently developing a new series, Notes From the Field, with the Wildlife Conservation Society. Keoghan recently guested on the Oprah show, where he discussed his list of things to do before he dies, the subject of his book due for release in Fall 2002.

Keoghan is originally from New Zealand and currently lives with his wife and daughter in Los Angeles. His birth date is May 31.

Chris

p.s. his last name sounds like Hogan with a 'K', hence Keoghan's Heroes

Last edited by mrpayroll; 03-09-06 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-09-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There used to be alot of Pitstop footage...Reichen/Chip admitted they were gay, and Millie and the Dude admitted they were Virgins at a pitstop dinner.
... and Wil, Chris and Alex got wasted... and Tara and Alex made out...
Old 03-09-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
I've read a few comments in the TAR posts mentioning the Frosties talking about Jesus/Christianity when really all they are doing are saying expressions such as "Oh Jesus" or "thank the Lord," which many people do, regardless of their religious beliefs. As far as I know, the Frosties made no actual comments indicating they are Christians or believe in Jesus.
Old 03-09-06, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I've read a few comments in the TAR posts mentioning the Frosties talking about Jesus/Christianity when really all they are doing are saying expressions such as "Oh Jesus" or "thank the Lord," which many people do, regardless of their religious beliefs. As far as I know, the Frosties made no actual comments indicating they are Christians or believe in Jesus.
Yeah, they weren't like that family last year or the couple who were models from a few years ago.

Chris
Old 03-09-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't notice anything religious about the glamazons at all.
Old 03-09-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Okay, maybe this has been addressed...but last episode I noticed that when you drove up to the pit stop you could visibly see the VW's there? Wouldnt it be easy to know you were not eliminated when you count the cars? Why do they look so surprised?
Old 03-09-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 456 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
now 5 years later and 2 (?) Emmys later, this show is a bonified hit!
Actually, 3 Emmys in a row (2003, 2004, 2005). The show has won every year that there's been an award for "Outstanding Reality-Competition Program"!

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Okay, maybe this has been addressed...but last episode I noticed that when you drove up to the pit stop you could visibly see the VW's there? Wouldnt it be easy to know you were not eliminated when you count the cars? Why do they look so surprised?
Sometimes the producers will move or otherwise disguise the number of cars (or say, the number of clues in a cluebox) in order to keep racers guessing as to their actual position in the race.

http://www.tarflies.com/article.php?...l&id=29#road10
Old 03-09-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Todd B.
Actually, 3 Emmys in a row (2003, 2004, 2005). The show has won every year that there's been an award for "Outstanding Reality-Competition Program"!

Sometimes the producers will move or otherwise disguise the number of cars (or say, the number of clues in a cluebox) in order to keep racers guessing as to their actual position in the race.

http://www.tarflies.com/article.php?...l&id=29#road10
Thanks! That is a great website loaded with every answer to about any question you might have about TAR!