TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

New "CW" TV Network created, WB and UPN to cease in the fall

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-06, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New "CW" TV Network created, WB and UPN to cease in the fall

Story link.

CBS Corporation and Warner Bros. Entertainment today announced their intent to form a new 5th network, The CW, to be launched in the fall of 2006. The new broadcasting network will be a joint venture between Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corporation, with each company owning 50%. In an important strategic move that secures major market distribution for The CW, it was announced that Tribune Broadcasting and the CBS Corporation's UPN affiliates have agreed separately to sign 10-year affiliation agreements with the new network.
(snip)

At the same time, it was announced that CBS Corporation and Warner Bros. Entertainment will cease operations of their respective networks -- UPN and The WB. The WB and UPN will continue to broadcast their respective network schedules independently until the fall.
(snip)

The CW will incorporate The WB's current scheduling model, which consists of a 6 night-13 hour primetime lineup including Monday through Friday nights from 8-10 (EST/PST); Sundays from 7-10 (EST/PST); Sunday from 5-7 (EST/PST) outside of primetime as well as a Monday thru Friday afternoon block from 3-5 (EST/PST) and a 5-hour Saturday morning animation block. Together, the network will program 30 hours a week over seven days for its affiliated stations.

As the top creative executive, Ostroff will have available a line-up of some of the most popular programming that appeals to young adults in the media business. These programming assets range from hit reality series such as "America's Next Top Model" and The WB's "Beauty and the Geek," to hit dramas like The WB's "Smallville," "Gilmore Girls," "Supernatural," and UPN's "Veronica Mars" as well as UPN's hit comedies "Everybody Hates Chris" and "Girlfriends" and The WB's hit comedy "Reba." In addition the WWE's "Smackdown," which has been a mainstay at UPN, is expected to play a role in the schedule.

Last edited by DGibFen; 01-24-06 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-24-06, 10:51 AM

All I have to say is Veronica Mars better stick around.
Old 01-24-06, 10:54 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new network will launch in the fall, the executives said, and both UPN and WB will shut down. It will be a 50-50 partnership between Warner Bros. and CBS, and the network will be carried on stations owned by the Tribune Co., which is a minority owner of the WB network.
Hmmm, there are no Tribune stations in my market... so does that mean I lose two network channels and will now have THREE independent stations in town?
Old 01-24-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

CW = Can't Watch

Veronica Mars is sticking around according to CNN's article.
Old 01-24-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I could never really tell the difference anyway. Except in the 90's where UPN, according to The Onion, had shows such as: Wayans! Wayans! Wayans! Wayans!
Old 01-24-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Crazy stuff. It'll probably be easier for me, since I won't have to keep track of which shows are on which channel.
Old 01-24-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts
Whoa! I never believed that would happen. I never really watched UPN except for Veronica Mars, but I watch alot on the WB Gilmore Girls, Supernatural, One Tree Hill, Smallville, Everwood, and Reba. I would hate to lose a few of those shows due to the merger.
Old 01-24-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
This is good news for HD viewers in Washington assuming that the CW lands on Tribune-owned Channel 50 (currently the WB affiliate). The UPN affiliate's digital signal is very weak here and is not carried on cable systems. Therefore, any UPN HD programming that is retained in this new network, we will now have access to.

Related question: is Everybody Hates Chris shot in HD?

I have no doubt that EHC, Gilmore, and Smallville will live on after this merger. However, I am concerned that my favorite guilty pleasure, One Tree Hill, may not make the cut.
Old 01-24-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In Columbus, UPN and WB have been the same channel for as long as I've lived out here. It's actually UPN but they play the WB shows as well (not at their "normal" times though).

Hopefully (finally) we'll get those popular WB shows in HD as they've had trouble getting them in HD the past year or so.
Old 01-24-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Smallville, Top Model, Veronica Mars all on the same network? Should be an interesting Fall for CW.
Old 01-24-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Those two networks are already dead last, it makes sense for them to merge. They might be stronger that way.

I am a big fan of the WB so I hope Everwood and Gilmore Girls continue, along with Smallville, Supernatural, and Related. The only UPN shows I watch are Veronica Mars and Everybody Hates Chris.

In my market we have both UPN and WB stations so I wonder what will happen to the other station.
Old 01-24-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smart move..each station has a couple of good shows, dump out much of the crap, and keep the good shows..you might have something there.
Old 01-24-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Related question: is Everybody Hates Chris shot in HD?
Yup.

Interesting news. I'm interested to hear what will happen on the affiliate level. Since we have both WB and UPN (and it looks like the new network will be on the WB affiliates), my UPN affilate can't be too happy today.
Old 01-24-06, 11:43 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm curious what will happen in my market. Our WB isn't really even an official 'local' channel here. It's provided by our cable company (Midcontinent). I suppose worst case scenario I'll have to download all my current WB shows. Best case scenario is we'll finally have access to UPN (although we get some of the shows at weird times on our Fox affiliate).

Otherwise, I'm happy about the news, as long as they cut the right stuff and leave the right stuff. I've always thought Veronica Mars would fit in better with the WB shows anyway. WB is losing 7th Heaven and Related is a non-performer, plus they have several voids they're filling with repeats (Sunday & Wednesday at 9pmEST/8pmCST). Plus Charmed has been on forever and might not last much longer. UPN only has a handful of shows that perform, but they will fill out the lineup nicely. I'd imagine we'll see Everybody Hates Chris, Top Model, Veronica Mars, Smackdown, and some of their Monday comedies like Girlfriends.

I'd say they should move all the comedies to Sunday, the best of both net's offerings. Keep Smackdown on Friday. Everwood & Supernatural on Mondays (a weird pairing but no weirder than Gilmore/Supernatural or Smallville/Everwood), Veronica Mars after Gilmore Girls. Top Model can rotate on the schedule with another reality show like Geek on Wednesdays. New shows here and there. One Tree Hill could go after Model, maybe. Or teh CW could be ballsy and put a few shows in the 10pmEST/9pmCST hour, but even Fox doesn't do that.
Old 01-24-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Would they maintain the "black night" that WB has? Do they even do that anymore?

Smallville, ANTM, Related and Everybody Hates Chris is all I watch on both chanels so as long as they stick around I'm fine.
Old 01-24-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BlackCapTen
In Columbus, UPN and WB have been the same channel for as long as I've lived out here. It's actually UPN but they play the WB shows as well (not at their "normal" times though).
It's the exact opposite for me. I get WB, and UPN "hits" are shown late at night.

All I watch anymore on these 2 channels is Supernatural and Everybody Hates Chris. If those 2 programs stick around, I'll be set.
Old 01-24-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Chew
(and it looks like the new network will be on the WB affiliates)

Not necessarily. If CBS owns your local UPN affiliate, it should end up there. If Tribune owns your WB affiliate, it should end up there. If neither, it could go to either - that is yet to be sorted out.
Old 01-24-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
Here in Chicago, WB is on WGN and UPN runs off an independent uhf channel.

Looks like WGN will be our new CW and the uhf will probbably go back to old 60s reruns or turn Spanish.
Old 01-24-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Not necessarily. If CBS owns your local UPN affiliate, it should end up there. If Tribune owns your WB affiliate, it should end up there. If neither, it could go to either - that is yet to be sorted out.
I was reading the quote lotsofdvds linked from, so it's obviously more complicated than I thought.

How can I found out who owns the affiliate? I can't find anything on their websites.

Edit: Never mind. CBS here: http://www.cbscorporation.com/ and Tribune here: http://www.tribune.com/

Neither own my locals.

Last edited by Chew; 01-24-06 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-24-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hmm CBS owns Atlanta's UPN affiliate (Not in cable HD yet) and Tribune owns WB affiliate (in HD). It better end up on the WB.
Old 01-24-06, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I could never really tell the difference anyway. Except in the 90's where UPN, according to The Onion, had shows such as: Wayans! Wayans! Wayans! Wayans!
I still chuckle when I think about the first Onion TV listing that I read. UPN - Shitload of Wayanses.
Old 01-24-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk God

From thefutoncritic:

[WB]The 16 Tribune affiliated stations will include New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Dallas, Washington, D.C., Houston, Miami, Denver, St. Louis, Portland, Indianapolis, San Diego, Hartford, New Orleans and Albany.

[UPN]The 12 CBS Station Group television markets will include Philadelphia, San Francisco, Atlanta, Detroit, Tampa, Seattle, Sacramento, Pittsburgh, West Palm Beach, Norfolk, Oklahoma City and Providence.

The remainder of the network's distribution system will be a combination of selected current UPN and The WB stations. The full distribution of the new network is expected to exceed 95% of the country.
So if you are outside one of the cities mentioned, and have separate WB and UPN affiliates, you'll have to wait and see.
Old 01-24-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The only UPN shows I watch are Veronica Mars and Smackdown, so I'm glad they'll be part of the new network. I don't watch anything on the WB.
Old 01-24-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How odd.

What does "CW" stand for, anyway?
Old 01-24-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

CBS and Warner Bros...

So we are losing 1 channel?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.