Love Monkey - 01/24/06

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-06, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Love Monkey - 01/24/06

"Nice Package", Episode #101.

Spoiler:
Tom is settling into his new job at True Vinyl Records just as their benefit concert begins to fall apart, so he tries to save it by getting Zoe, a popular diva, to perform.

Cast: Tom Cavanagh, Jason Priestley, Larenz Tate, Christopher Wiehl, Judy Greer, Ivana Milicevic, Katherine LaNasa, Daniel Sunjata, Erik Jensen, James McDaniel, Sherri Saum, Rebecca Mader, Claire Alpern, Eric Bogosian, Thomas Sharkey, LeAnn Rimes, Ben Folds.

Director(s): Jace Alexander.
Producer(s): Mark Johnson, Michael Rauch, John Wirth.
Writer(s): Michael Rauch.

Original Airdate: January 24, 2006.

Love Monkey
Old 01-24-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't care for last week's premier all that much but I might tune in tonight to give this show another chance since L&O SVU in a repeat anyway.

But one thing that kind of bugged me last week was that each of these guys always looked like they were wearing $1,200 worth of clothes in every scene. And each item of clothing looked like this was the first time it had ever been worn, and they were all, always wearing a different outfit.
What guy (not playing in the NBA) owns this much expensive clothing?
Do any of them own a freakin sweat shirt and jeans for crissakes?
Old 01-24-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This was a good episode, it had a good vibe throughout, and I hope they can sustain the momentum started from this episode.
Old 01-24-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Good cast chemistry goes a long way w/ new shows.

I like this show...a lot (for some reason). It's quickly becoming appointment television.

Last edited by B.A.; 01-24-06 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-24-06, 10:16 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Very solid ep, good music overall, even made some fun of Starship! Cavanaugh definitely carries it with his quirky presence, but the cast clicks I think. Good mix of things outside of the music as well with the nanny and Shooter's date. Its worth a look for anyone who hasnt checked it out yet, especially if you have any appreciation for music.
Old 01-24-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it just me, or do some of the scenes look green-screened? In the club in the first half and outside of concert...it just looked weird, maybe if was some weird form of focus...I don't know, something just didn't look right. Maybe it's just me.
Old 01-24-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

unlike many here i liked the first episode. was it superb? nah. entertaining yes.
Old 01-24-06, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Much better than the premier. Glad I remembered to check it out.
Old 01-25-06, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think this is going to be something I am absolutely going to love. I harken it to the likes of High Fidelity which is one of my favorite movies of all time. I liked the premier and I liked this one just as much. Cavanaugh does a great job with his character. I don't think the guy is any different from Ed (the character), but Ed (the show) - especially in the last season, actually everything post Frankie - really lost it's flare. Being an extreme music junkie I'm going to keep tuning into this.

I was reading a bit about the show in TV guide and they were talking about one of the execs having some sort of music production background. And that throughout the run (however long it gets) they are going to be bringing in various musicians. Whether they be along the lines of Wayne and Zoe (musicians trying to make a bigger name for themselves) or Leann Rimes and Ben Folds (established artists either cameo-ing or performing).

This will probably be the best of the new midseason replacements - more likely the only one to do well at all *cough* Emily's Reasons *cough*.
Old 01-25-06, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel-A

This will probably be the best of the new midseason replacements - more likely the only one to do well at all *cough* Emily's Reasons *cough*.
I liked the second episode better than the premiere episode but the premiere didn't do so hot in the ratings. The musican cameos are so bad. Hey Ben Folds. Hey LeAnn.

"NBC took the lead at 10 p.m. with "Law & Order: SVU," 10.7/17. "Boston Legal" scored a 7.9/13 for ABC, and the premiere of "Love Monkey" on CBS came in at 5.9/9"

I have a feeling CBS will have a quick hook if the ratings fall even further against repeats. Anyway, the audience have spoken and for midseason, they love celebrities that skate and/or dance and they appear to like Howie Mandel giving away money.
Old 01-25-06, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well screw the world. The show is fine. Reality ruined TV.
Old 01-25-06, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is this show filmed in New York City all the way through (I know they filmed "Ed" in upstate New York, due to it being in "Stuckeyville)?
Old 01-25-06, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm in the minority, but I'm giving up on this one. I just find that it tries waaay too hard to be hip and it's too damn predictable. Before Tom got in his office's elevator and pulled on that ridiculous yellow hat, I was rolling. You just know some stylist chose it because they think it's cool. He just ended up looking like a fool. The bands they namedrop are just what you would expect them to. It's like High Fidelity, except it's not good.

Last edited by Nosebleed; 01-25-06 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-25-06, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This week's episode improved on last week's attempt, but I'm concerned that it didn't improve on it enough. I wasn't particularly impressed with how they handled trying to branch out into the lives of the other friends -- I was actually wondering at one point whether I was still watching the same show (my local affiliate didn't help -- they ran a spot for the local news in the middle of one scene by accident).
Old 01-25-06, 08:19 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm continuing to like this show. Great chemistry among the cast members, good music and solid storylines. Will continue to watch.
Old 01-25-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was a much better ep than the pilot -- think I'll give this show a chance.

I think I missed something -- one of the blondes on the show is his sister but who's the other blonde? The one that's always bringing him coffee?
Old 01-25-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Flave
This was a much better ep than the pilot -- think I'll give this show a chance.

I think I missed something -- one of the blondes on the show is his sister but who's the other blonde? The one that's always bringing him coffee?
Supposedly he his best friend that he is secretly in love with.
Old 01-25-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

She is HIS best friend who is Secretly in love with HIM. Judy Greer is awesome but needs to be given more to do. I have enjoyed the first two eps quite a bit and am definitely sticking around. I think the later spot will help keep this show on for at least a few more weeks...something in a 10pm slot doesn't need to have as high ratings as something at 9pm, less competition.

MATT
Old 01-25-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was thinking a timeslot with a better lead in/out would benefit the show, but there isn't really anything on the current CBS lineup that it matches well with. Aside from maybe one of the sitcom setups, the show is pretty much where it should be, though having a lead in/out of one of the CSIs may help just by osmosis.
Old 01-25-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Were yesterday's numbers any better?
Old 01-25-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Were yesterday's numbers any better?
From Zap2It:

ABC took over the top spot at 10 p.m. with "Boston Legal," 8.6/14. A repeat of "Law & Order: SVU" averaged 6.6/11 for NBC, while CBS' "Love Monkey" managed only a 5.1/9.
Old 01-25-06, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by djbrown
From Zap2It:

ABC took over the top spot at 10 p.m. with "Boston Legal," 8.6/14. A repeat of "Law & Order: SVU" averaged 6.6/11 for NBC, while CBS' "Love Monkey" managed only a 5.1/9.
Ouch... That doesn't bode well.
Old 01-25-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kevin75
unlike many here i liked the first episode. was it superb? nah. entertaining yes.
I just watched the first episode yesterday before the second episode and I liked it. I liked the dialogue and cast chemistry and thought it was pretty refreshing that the guys dont have an issue with their friend being gay. He's just one of the guys.

So people would rather watch another Law and Order and Boston Public?
Sheesh!
Old 01-25-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I...thought it was pretty refreshing that the guys dont have an issue with their friend being gay. He's just one of the guys.
Isn't that because they don't know he's gay? That was one of the surprises at the end of the first episode, the other being Judy Greer doesn't have a boyfriend, or wasn't leaving Tom to see him like she said she was.
Old 01-25-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
So people would rather watch another Law and Order and Boston Public?
Sheesh!

Boston Public is on again?!? haha

I really enjoyed how Brandon Walsh tried to get rid of the nanny cause he thought he MIGHT slip up and cheat on his wife....very admirable. when I saw him checking out her breasts, I thought for sure he would wanna hire her.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.