TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DISH Network Launches Nation's Largest HD Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-06, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DISH Network Launches Nation's Largest HD Package

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060105/20060105005834.html?.v=1

Press Release Source: EchoStar Communications Corporation

DISH Network Launches Nation's Largest HD Package - DishHD, Featuring Local HD Channels and New VOOM HD Channels

Thursday January 5, 2:00 pm ET

Most National Content plus World's First MPEG4 HD DVR Establishes DISH Network as Industry Leader for HDTV

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 5, 2006--EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH - News) and its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service announced today from the 2006 International Consumer Electronics Show the rollout of its new high-definition television package, DishHD. By offering the most HD channels in the pay-TV industry and with the introduction of a new line of advanced satellite receivers, DishHD gives its customers more than 1,700 hours a week of HD content from the nation's top programmers.

DISH Network is expanding its HD channel lineup in 2006 by adding five new original VOOM channels -- bringing the total to 15 -- as well as other new HD networks including ESPN2 HD and Universal HD. In addition, DISH Network will launch high-definition local channels through its satellite service in up to 50 markets in 2006, starting with Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles and New York in February, and reaching more than 50 percent of U.S. TV households with local HD channels. The remainder of the country's local HD channels will be offered to DISH Network customers via an off-air antenna solution.

DishHD offers 25 national HD channels plus local broadcast channels where available, providing more than 200 hours of HD programming every day. Cable companies, with a national average of just 10 HD channels, cannot come close to the robust lineup of DishHD.

With up to four different programming packages to choose from, DishHD customers can find an option that best fits their viewing needs. For as little as $54.99 a month, customers can access the entire 25-channel DishHD lineup, and get more than 70 all-digital standard definition channels plus their local channels in standard and high definition.

Current DishHD channels include:

Discovery HD
ESPN HD
HBO HD
HD Net
HD Net Movies
HD Pay-Per-View
Showtime HD
TNT HD

VOOM Networks
-----------------
Animania HD - Monsters HD
Equator HD - Rave HD
Film Fest HD - Rush HD
Gallery HD - Ultra HD
HD News - Kung Fu HD

On Feb. 1, DISH Network will begin transmitting newly added HD channels in MPEG4, a signal compression standard developed by MPEG (Moving Picture Experts Group). MPEG4 allows DISH Network to maximize the bandwidth available on its satellites and offer the most robust lineup of HD channels in the nation.

New DishHD channels available only in MPEG4 include:

ESPN2 HD
Universal HD
HD Locals

VOOM Networks
------------------
Family Room HD
Gameplay HD
Treasure HD
World Cinema HD
WorldSport HD

DISH Network is also introducing at CES a new series of satellite receivers that combine MPEG4 and MPEG2 signal capability. The cutting-edge ViP Series combines state-of-the-art imaging technology with life-like Dolby® Digital 5.1 surround sound for the best picture and sound quality available. Existing customers with MPEG2 equipment, such as the DISH Player DVR 942, will continue to receive all their current content and will need to upgrade to a ViP Series receiver to receive the new HD channels. DISH Network will offer a convenient upgrade package for existing customers who want to expand their HD lineup to include the new channels.

The ViP211(TM) HD satellite receiver, the first model in the ViP series that supports both MPEG4 and MPEG2, is available through DISH Network for only $49.99 for new lease customers.

Also included in the ViP series is the ViP622(TM) DVR, the world's first MPEG4 multi-room high definition and digital video recorder satellite TV receiver with the ability to view independent programs -- one in high definition and one in standard definition programming -- on two televisions at once. No other pay-TV company offers this innovative combination. It features a massive hard drive with a recording capacity of up to 25 hours of high-definition and up to 180 hours of standard-definition content.

The cutting-edge ViP622 DVR also features reverse, fast-forward, and pause as well as a picture-in-picture feature on any TV and the ability to record Dolby Digital® when available. The ViP622 DVR will be available in the first quarter of 2006 for a one-time upgrade price of $299 for new lease customers, which includes a dish antenna and free standard professional installation (monthly DVR fee applies).

The ViP622 DVR also features:

Digital/analog off-air tuner
Up to 9-day, Picture-In-Guide, Widescreen Electronic Program Guide (EPG)
High-Definition Resolutions: 480p, 720p, 1080i (480i is up-converted)
Records two programs simultaneously in high definition, but programs can be viewed in standard definition on other TVs in the home.

The ViP622 DVR offers DISH Network's convenience and features that customers have grown to depend on, including parental controls, electronic program guide, picture in guide and name-based recording.

Consumers can call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) or visit www.DISHNetwork.com for more information.

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH - News) serves more than 12 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network(TM), the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last five years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

EchoStar Communications Corporation
Heather Black, 720-514-5351
[email protected]

Sorry about the lack of formatting and it is a press release, but interesting none the less.

Chris

Last edited by mrpayroll; 01-05-06 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-05-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to the recent information I was reviewing, the previous HDDVR from Dish only included a single OTA HD tuner. Has that changed with the new DVR? It does state two HD programs, but doesn't state if that's two OTA tuners. Because if it does include it, I'm may switch. DirecTV is really been slow in new HD content (yes, I know it's coming....but, we've been hearing that for years now!)

Does this sorta thread now belong in the new forum?
Old 01-05-06, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
According to the recent information I was reviewing, the previous HDDVR from Dish only included a single OTA HD tuner. Has that changed with the new DVR? It does state two HD programs, but doesn't state if that's two OTA tuners. Because if it does include it, I'm may switch. DirecTV is really been slow in new HD content (yes, I know it's coming....but, we've been hearing that for years now!)

Does this sorta thread now belong in the new forum?
I was gonna say "what new forum", but I just checked and saw the new HD forum. Yes, this probably does belong there. I will ask a mod to move it.

Chris
Old 01-05-06, 01:42 PM

And I of course cannot find the 'report thread to moderator' button or whatever, anymore.

Chris
Old 01-05-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Damn, I sure wish I didn't have that 50' maple tree in my front yard.
Old 01-05-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
And I of course cannot find the 'report thread to moderator' button or whatever, anymore.

Chris
I don't think the appears for your own post?
Old 01-05-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Report Chew's post!
Old 01-05-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
This will be fairly shortlived. Once DirecTV has their next bird in the air this year, Directv will be offering most major markets w/ locals in HD and more HD content than Dish.
Old 01-05-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
^ Short lived? I thought DirecTV wasn't launching anything but locals and weren't going to attempt anything until that was taken care of. Not to mention Dish has the exclusive Voom channels, that is a dozen+ HD channels you can't get on DirecTV. You also have to look at price, you can bet that DTV will be more expensive.

"DISH Network Launches Nation's Largest HD Package"

And it still isn't as large as what Voom offered. I miss Rave & Rush, I wish Dish ran those instead of some of the other Voom channels. I miss those two.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 01-05-06 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-05-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Yeah, I don't see how DirecTV can top DISH when it comes to HD content.
Old 01-05-06, 02:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Local channels in HD makes it very tempting to switch.
Old 01-05-06, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
And it still isn't as large as what Voom offered. I miss Rave & Rush, I wish Dish ran those instead of some of the other Voom channels. I miss those two.
Am I misunderstanding something? Doesn't the story above include the Rave & Rush HD channels? Is that incorrect?

Chris

Last edited by mrpayroll; 01-05-06 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-05-06, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Report Chew's post!

I was going to do that, but when you click it, it states 'Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.'

It doesn't mention anything about duplicate or moving or deleting posts. Am I to assume that those 3 things are included in their note?

Chris
Old 01-05-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't seen anything about adding any national HD channel's in DirecTV's recent press release. They have also lowered the resolution and bitrates of their HD programming which puts Dish out in front in picture quality as well.

The only thing that has been keeping me with DirecTV is my investment in their HD Tivo. Otherwise Dish is looking awfully tempting.
Old 01-05-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a dish subscriber for years, and Im still not sorry I dumped them...my cable may have less HD channels but I pay NOTHING for the HD package and NOTHING for the dual tuner HDDVR

That was gonna run me $1000 up front and $10/month from dish.

Theres a HD forum?
Old 01-05-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
^ Short lived? I thought DirecTV wasn't launching anything but locals and weren't going to attempt anything until that was taken care of. Not to mention Dish has the exclusive Voom channels, that is a dozen+ HD channels you can't get on DirecTV. You also have to look at price, you can bet that DTV will be more expensive.

"DISH Network Launches Nation's Largest HD Package"

Not true. DirecTV will have the National Geographic channel early this year as well as Fox's HD station (similar to what Universal HD is). The locals are the big focus, but let's be real for a minute here. What do people watch more of still, broadcast tv or cable channels? I'd much rather have the options for locals soon and more channels later than having several HD castoffs from Voom.
Old 01-05-06, 11:14 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nazz
The only thing that has been keeping me with DirecTV is my investment in their HD Tivo. Otherwise Dish is looking awfully tempting.
I'm starting to think the same thing. I'm just getting my first HDTV very soon here, and I was surprised at the lack of DTV national HD channels. If it weren't for the Tivo name and my 2 SD DirecTivos, I would probably switch right away. I'm not so sure now.

Deftones - This press release did mention:

"In addition, DISH Network will launch high-definition local channels through its satellite service in up to 50 markets in 2006, starting with Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles and New York in February, and reaching more than 50 percent of U.S. TV households with local HD channels."

Are those 50 markets 50% of the US households? If I remember correctly (which I probably don't), DTV didn't have plans to have HD locals on that many channels by the end of the year?
Old 01-05-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Yes, DirecTV has locals in HD in the top 12 markets, and by the end of the year should have nearly the top 100 markets covered.
Old 01-06-06, 12:23 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Yes, DirecTV has locals in HD in the top 12 markets, and by the end of the year should have nearly the top 100 markets covered.
Oh really? That quick? I knew they had the 12 now, but didn't realize the rest were coming that quick. Do you have a link by chance (not that I don't believe you, just would like to read about it)?

All those Voom channels are intriguing though...it seems that and the seemingly slightly more feature-laden vip622 are the main advantages? The HD-DVR is also much cheaper than the HD-Tivo is - but maybe the new H20 is going to be cheaper?
Old 01-06-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Am I misunderstanding something? Doesn't the story above include the Rave & Rush HD channels? Is that incorrect?

Chris
You're right. I totally missed those.
Old 01-06-06, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Comcast better get on the ball. The prices are going up $12/m and while On Demand is nice, there's not any On Demand HD content.

I am probably downgrading from the "Movie Package" to just HBO to cut $30/m. Sure, I lose like 20 channels but the only thing I watch outside of HBO is "Masters of Horror".
Old 01-06-06, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones

They do? DC is a top-12 market, and they don't offer HD here.
Old 01-06-06, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Directv told me that you can't use tivo if you get the local channel thing. The guy did say that they might come out with something that lets you do that in mid-2006. It will probably be a shitload of money.
Old 01-06-06, 09:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Directv told me that you can't use tivo if you get the local channel thing. The guy did say that they might come out with something that lets you do that in mid-2006. It will probably be a shitload of money.
Wow. I'm normally a DirecTV apologist, but that's a load of crap.
Old 01-06-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Wow. I'm normally a DirecTV apologist, but that's a load of crap.

To clarify, he didnt say it would be a shitload of money, but that's my assumption.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.