Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DISH Network Launches Nation's Largest HD Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Directv told me that you can't use tivo if you get the local channel thing. The guy did say that they might come out with something that lets you do that in mid-2006. It will probably be a shitload of money.
The current HD DVR does not handle the new mpg4 technology that they're rolling out. The new DirecTV (non-TiVo) HD DVR will be able to and it should be a nearly free upgrade if you already have the TiVO HD DVR.
Old 01-06-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
The current HD DVR does not handle the new mpg4 technology that they're rolling out. The new DirecTV (non-TiVo) HD DVR will be able to and it should be a nearly free upgrade if you already have the TiVO HD DVR.
That would be great if it was free or relatively cheap. I asked them if they were going to upgrade for free and they told me they didnt know. I just assumed that this new HDDVR would be about $1000 and they would tell me to screw.
Old 01-06-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
All that is great except for one thing: Dish Network doesn't have the much-desired NFL Sunday Ticket package.

How will Dish Network compete against DirecTV when by 2007 DirecTV will be able to offer high-definition broadcasts of NFL games through this programming package at locations where NBC, CBS and Fox offers them on their Sunday broadcasts?
Old 01-06-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Wow. I'm normally a DirecTV apologist, but that's a load of crap.
It's true if you want HD locals via their MPEG-4 service. Not true if you aren't in a market they've rolled that service out to yet and are getting the OTA HD locals.

Originally Posted by Red Dog
They do? DC is a top-12 market, and they don't offer HD here.
Maybe they scaled back and only did top 10.
Old 01-06-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by RayChuang
All that is great except for one thing: Dish Network doesn't have the much-desired NFL Sunday Ticket package.

How will Dish Network compete against DirecTV when by 2007 DirecTV will be able to offer high-definition broadcasts of NFL games through this programming package at locations where NBC, CBS and Fox offers them on their Sunday broadcasts?
IIRC, NBC is only getting the evening game on Sunday nights, so it won't be a part of the NFL Sunday Ticket package. Just like MNF and Sunday Night Football on ESPN weren't.
Old 01-06-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
It's true if you want HD locals via their MPEG-4 service. Not true if you aren't in a market they've rolled that service out to yet and are getting the OTA HD locals.

Maybe they scaled back and only did top 10.

I think DC is #5 or 6.
Old 01-06-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RayChuang

True, but I can't wait to hear the masses bitch about a $400 year (which I would gladly pay if I had access to it) Sunday Ticket subscription. They already were screaming murder when they raised it this year which wasn't even part of the new insanely high contract DirecTV signed with the NFL.
Old 01-06-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I think DC is #5 or 6.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=48853

People in DC are getting the new DirecTV mpg4 equipment installed, so it has been available for a couple weeks now. It just not be general public knowledge yet?
Old 01-06-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Chew
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=48853

People in DC are getting the new DirecTV mpg4 equipment installed, so it has been available for a couple weeks now. It just not be general public knowledge yet?

That would be consistent then. I was over at a friend's house 3-4 weeks ago who has DirecTV HiDef and Sunday Ticket packages and remember him having to use the antenna to get the local FOXHD (to watch the Skins/Cowboys game).