Fox to sell TV episodes on DirecTV

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-05-06, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuot...n056692_newsml

Thu Jan 5, 2006 12:46 PM ET

NEW YORK, Jan 5 (Reuters) - News Corp.'s (NWS.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Fox Entertainment Group on Thursday said it plans to make some of its cable and broadcast television shows available to DirecTV viewers for a fee.

The owners of the FX cable network and Fox Broadcasting will begin selling episodes of FX's "The Shield" and "Rescue Me" up to two days before they air on the network for $2.99 per show to DirecTV customers who own new digital video recorder from the satellite TV operator.

Fox will sell access to episodes of "24" and "Prison Break" for six to seven days after the initial broadcast for 99 cents.

"For the very first time, viewers will be able to watch their favorite shows before the rest of the world," Peter Chernin, president and chief operating officer of News Corp. said in a statement.

The service will launch later this year, the company said.

Media companies have begun offering more of their programming over the Internet and on digital media devices following Apple Computer Inc (AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) began selling episodes of Walt Disney Co.'s (DIS.N: Quote, Profile, Research) "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives" last year for its iPod digital music and video player.

DirecTV is controlled by News Corp.

Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

Chris
Old 01-05-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"For the very first time, viewers will be able to watch their favorite shows before the rest of the world,"
You think someone that important would have heard of "wild feeds" before.
Old 01-05-06, 01:42 PM

How about the unaired episodes of shows they have prematurely cancelled?
Old 01-05-06, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
You think someone that important would have heard of "wild feeds" before.
What are these 'wild feeds' that you speak of and where can I get them? Please e-mail me.

Chris
Old 01-05-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
"For the very first time, viewers will be able to watch their favorite shows before the rest of the world," Peter Chernin, president and chief operating officer of News Corp. said in a statement.
I don't know about anyone else but I would never pay $3.00 to see a single episode of a show to see it a day or so earlier than the "free" version.
Old 01-05-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
I don't know about anyone else but I would never pay $3.00 to see a single episode of a show to see it a day or so earlier than the "free" version.
It does make paying $9/month for 4 weekly episodes of an HBO show (plus, I don't know... Lot of movies) sound like a bargain.
Old 01-05-06, 02:36 PM

Though it's not on the list, how many people do you think would love to pay $3 or more to see a Lost episode, let's say the Monday before (since Monday is a weak night on ABC now).

Chris
Old 01-05-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Though it's not on the list, how many people do you think would love to pay $3 or more to see a Lost episode, let's say the Monday before (since Monday is a weak night on ABC now).

Chris
Oh no, i can see it now. People will be buying episodes early and posting spoilers in the episode threads and fucking it up for everyone.
Old 01-05-06, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Oh no, i can see it now. People will be buying episodes early and posting spoilers in the episode threads and fucking it up for everyone.
Welcome to the New Media World!

Chris
Old 01-13-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
What are these 'wild feeds' that you speak of and where can I get them?
Here's some articles about "wild feeds" and other forms of feeds:

http://www.nmia.com/~roberts/tvro-dx

http://archive.salon.com/tech/featur...29/wild_feeds/

I think what Falcon was referring to is what the first link calls "recurring feeds," which are basically the feeds a production company sends to the network via satellite of a show, sometimes as much as a few days before the show is scheduled to broadcast. If the owner of a traditional satellite dish knows where and when to point, they can receive these feeds.
Old 01-13-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
I would if it meant it was commercial free - then I'd just zip it off onto a DVD-R.

The owners of the FX cable network and Fox Broadcasting will begin selling episodes of FX's "The Shield" and "Rescue Me" up to two days before they air on the network for $2.99 per show to DirecTV customers who own new digital video recorder from the satellite TV operator.
Yeah. THERE is the catch. Not available if you have a DirecTivo. Lame. They're going to have to pry that DirecTivo from my COLD DEAD HANDS!!!!!!