Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Why didn't Uncle Phil pick up Will from the airport?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Why didn't Uncle Phil pick up Will from the airport?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Uncle Phil doesn't care about black people.

Originally Posted by mullivan
Well, the plane landed and when I came out
There was a dude who looked like a cop and yelled my name out
Kudos to the Prince for rhyming 'out' with 'out'.
Old 01-04-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
At the last "Fresh Prince of Bel Air Convention" I attended (San Diego, 2003) there was a healthy debate as to whether or not the extended theme song could be considered canon or not, considering it was never used in the actual show.
This is, without any doubt, the funniest phrase I have heard or read anywhere, ever, especially if it's true.
Old 01-04-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't recall the extended lyrics to the theme song, but I do recall part of the opening on the airplane, and I think he mentions that the stewardess is 'fly'. That has been cut on most of the episodes I have seen since.

Does anyone have the lyrics to that part, or know why it was cut?
Old 01-04-06, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thread of the year! Or at least, the day.

There's some info on why the cut the airplane part in the Wikipedia entry for the show:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fre...nce_of_Bel_Air

(Note: The first few episodes used this full version of the theme song, however, from Episode #9 "Someday Your Prince Will Be In Effect, Part 2" and onward, the third and fourth verses were cut out, so the song went directly from "You're moving with your Auntie and Uncle in Bel-Air" to "I whistled for a cab...". This was done so that the episodes could be longer. DJ Jazzy Jeff And The Fresh Prince also released a longer version of the full song, but it was never used on the show.
Old 01-04-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe he didn't want to pick him up from the airport, because he never wanted to get to a point in their relatonship when Will would say "How come you never pick me up from the airport anymore?"
Old 01-04-06, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
At the last "Fresh Prince of Bel Air Convention" I attended (San Diego, 2003) there was a healthy debate as to whether or not the extended theme song could be considered canon or not, considering it was never used in the actual show.
Best post ever.
Old 01-05-06, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
i heard the full song only on one episode back when it was in syndication on fox 5 here in DC. if i remember right there was a scene on the plane
Old 01-05-06, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
This thread title cracked me up.
Old 01-05-06, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember the long version with the "I begged and pleaded with her..." and "...orange juice out of a champagne glass..."

but not the other verse. I have the Greatest Hits CD somewhere, I'll have to dig it up.

I thought it was only on the first episode, but I've seen it on a couple of other first season ep repeats. (I guess it was on the first 8)

I thought he said "this cab was where", but never knew what he meant... rare sounds better...
Old 01-05-06, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
If there's "healthy debate" about whether the lost lyrics are "canon".

<--This is what it's like when they tackle OR
Old 01-05-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, just when I thought it couldn't get any funnier than smelling Criterions, this thread comes along.

(BTW, I remember the orange juice verse from the first theme song but never anything about a limo).
Old 01-05-06, 09:51 AM

I found a few great Fresh Prince video clips while surfing around:

Here is the entire pilot episode which opens with the extended credit sequence:
http://www.emiliaroca.com/fresh%20pr...%20project.avi
This is a great pilot for the series if you ask me! Some hilarious scenes as Will is introduced to the family members, especially Carlton, as well as a poignant moment towards the end when Will and Uncle Phil realize they have a lot to learn about each other.
As for the opening credit sequence, it does not contain the full lyrics to the song (which describes Will avoiding the limo driver) but is the longest version I am aware of. I am fairly certain a video for the entire song was never filmed as this would be impractical for a half hour sitcom.

I also stumbled on this video clip of the extended opening in Italian:
http://www.ifeeder.net/m.asp?id=408565700054169
"Prima Classe!"

There's also this great clip in Italian, which looks like additional closing credits they put in for the Italian dubbing artists.
http://www.ifeeder.net/m.asp?id=27492702007294
Old 01-05-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose

the Prince has got mad rhymes.
Old 01-05-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've always liked that since they took the plane ride part of the song out, it seemed like Will took the cab from Philly to Bel Air.

Oh yeah, and at the Fresh Prince Convention, if it's true.
Old 01-05-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Google helped me find a transcript of Will's speech at the convention:

You know, before I answer any more questions there's something I wanted to say. Having received all your letters over the years, and I've spoken to many of you, and some of you have traveled... y'know... hundreds of miles to be here, I'd just like to say... GET A LIFE, will you people? I mean, for crying out loud, it's just a TV show! I mean, look at you, look at the way you're dressed! You've turned an enjoyable little job, that I did as a lark for a few years, into a COLOSSAL WASTE OF TIME!
Old 01-05-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG

Hey! I was there too! Did I see you at the costume ball?

Old 01-05-06, 02:02 PM

Wait a sec, I need to know if there really is a Fresh Prince convention.

Because that both scares and delights me.

Also I hear that in the extended, extended version of the song, Will explains how he stopped off for lunch and also bought a new shirt on the way to Uncle Phil's place. Also he had his teeth cleaned but frankly I feel that part really drags the song down.
Old 01-05-06, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by IG80Nate
Wait a sec, I need to know if there really is a Fresh Prince convention.
Yes, there certainly is. I've attended every year since its inception in 1998. It usually takes place in June at the Pavilion Room of the Bel-Air Hotel in Los Angelos. Several east coast participants, myself included, re-enact Will's now famous trip from Philly to Bel-Air each year. I have always used the method of travel as described in the full version of the song (plane, then cab) although there is one member who in 2002 chose to take a cab the whole way as described in the shortened version of the theme song. I understand he was the owner of the cab and drove himself, though the car did have dice in the mirror thus lending to the authenticity of the journey.

The event is always a lot of fun. A few cast members usually show up each year. Last year Janet Hubert-Whitten (who played Vivian Banks for the first three seasons of the show) was there. Two years before that Alfonso Ribeiro (who played Carlton) made an appearance and even sang a Tom Jones song! There are always some great fan performances, cast impersonators and a great deal of unique merchandise. This year my buddy and I are working on the choreography to reenact the dance Will and Carlton performed in episode 412 for the dance contest:
http://www.smartphone2000.tv/2000/Fr...%20Contest.wmv

If I get a chance I’ll post some of the pics I took at last year’s convention. Did anyone else here attend? Maybe you could post pics as well?
Old 01-05-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 01-05-06, 04:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, the plane landed and when I came out
There was a dude who looked like a cop and yelled my name out
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
He rhymed "name out" with "came out".
Old 01-05-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
oh man, i am seriously dying laughing at the whole convention thing. kudos to the guy who took the cab the whole way.
Old 01-05-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Premise

Now apologize,or i'll sue.
What the hell is Suge Knight doing in this thread?
Old 01-05-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone else here attend?

Based off the reactions here, I'd guess not.
Old 01-06-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This is pure gold.
Old 01-06-06, 08:37 AM
Suspended

I remember the year I went there was some sort of scheduling conflict with the Blossom convention that was supposed to follow ours.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.