Old 01-04-06, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loved that Soup Nazi episode.
Old 01-04-06, 08:29 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen all the episodes multiple times, but I recently started watching the dvds for the first time. I was surprised how good the first episodes were. I'd always heard people bash them. A lot of what's great in Seinfeld is missing in them, but they're still funnier than any other multi-camera show.

Something else I noticed is that Larry talking behind the scenes says things I could see coming out of Jerry's mouth. I think George is more based on Larry's inner voice and real life Larry is probably more like Jerry. It was funny to see in the extras that a lot of stuff that happens in the show really happened to Larry and Jerry.
Old 01-04-06, 08:36 PM

Cartwright!
Old 01-05-06, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by nny
I've seen all the episodes multiple times, but I recently started watching the dvds for the first time. I was surprised how good the first episodes were. I'd always heard people bash them. A lot of what's great in Seinfeld is missing in them, but they're still funnier than any other multi-camera show.
The first two seasons don't hold a candle to the rest of the series, but they're still very funny. Even the seasons at the end without Larry David, which represented a slip in quality, were still brilliant. It says a lot about the strength of the writing that the "off" seasons were still very good.
Old 01-05-06, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Halfway Crook
And finally, I cringed during a couple of episodes whenever there is a misunderstanding in an episode and instead of CLEARLY explaining the situation and trying to fix the misunderstanding, a character repeats the sentence they said that CAUSED the misunderstanding. It just seems like common sense.
Do yourself a favor then, and don't watch any episodes of Three's Company, your head may explode.
Old 01-05-06, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Why force yourself to watch something you already admit intense dislike for? Is there really nothing else for you to watch?
Because I'm not really sure why I have an intense dislike for it. I'd rather come from a position of having seen the whole series to have an informed decision.

As to the second question: oh, there's plenty else to watch.
Old 01-05-06, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Season 1 is finished. I'm afraid my opinion hasn't really changed much.

The Stakeout -- A trend is starting that I don't care for, relating to the stand-up portions. Jerry uses his real life material in his act, I understand that's the focus of the show. But, to me it just feels like a retread of scenes I just watched. Even to the point of using the same joke, just worded differently. Episode laugh meter: one (George's delivery of "I'm an architect" when being introduced to Jerry's new girlfriend).

The Robbery and The Stock Tip -- I think I need to take better notes, because I can't remember whether the cleaners joke with the shrunken shirt was the first or second one. Either way combined Episode laugh meter: one (for that shirt site gag).

Five episodes, three laughs. We're not off to the best of starts.

Unlike the Buffy thread, it's a bit difficult to review plots and overall storylines when they're aren't any.
Old 01-05-06, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Unlike the Buffy thread, it's a bit difficult to review plots and overall storylines when they're aren't any.
That will change. I think it all changes once they start tying all the plots together in the end(of each episode). Truely original at the time.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 01-05-06 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-05-06, 03:01 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
The George-as-architect theme is used fairly often, to good effect.
Old 01-05-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, so does the name Art Vandelay and the Importer/Exporter profession.
Old 01-05-06, 04:30 PM

The Stakeout -- A trend is starting that I don't care for, relating to the stand-up portions. Jerry uses his real life material in his act, I understand that's the focus of the show. But, to me it just feels like a retread of scenes I just watched. Even to the point of using the same joke, just worded differently.
They do away with the stand-up segments eventually. I can't remember what season they start this though.
Old 01-05-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm gonna start a thread like this soon for Babylon 5 . Should be fun with das around .
Old 01-06-06, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Ex-Girlfriend -- The ending speech by Jerry's girlfriend in the car spoke to me: she attended one of Jerry's standup acts and didn't find anything funny and it wasn't her kind of humor. Episode laugh meter = zero

The Pony Remark -- I certainly like the actor they have for Jerry's dad better than the other guy. Episode laugh meter = one ("It was the pride of Krakow")

I'm amending a previous comment: I'm not going to watch 9 seasons if the show continues on this path. Can the show experts tell me when it finally hits it's stride and that particular season is representative of the series as a whole? Is it the third?
Old 01-06-06, 07:46 AM
Suspended

3rd is when the show starts taking off, 4th is the best season of the entire run. But really, if you're having such a miserable time watching them, why are you doing it and subjecting us to it?

Last edited by lotsofdvds; 01-06-06 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-06-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ravid
They do away with the stand-up segments eventually. I can't remember what season they start this though.
The last episode of season 6 was the first one without stand-up. Whether or not it continues into season 7 or not I don't recall. It could have been a one shot deal to give more time to the plot & guest star(bette midler) for the season finale.
Old 01-06-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Can the show experts tell me when it finally hits it's stride and that particular season is representative of the series as a whole? Is it the third?
Wow. Someone isn't even reading their own thread:

Originally Posted by rfduncan
The 1st season is rougher going IMO than by S3 & S4 when the series clearly hits its stride.
Originally Posted by Mopower
I'd probably start with season 3. That is where things really start getting good. From there on it's all gold Jerry!! Gold!!
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Season 3 & 4 are the high points.
Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Warning: The first two seasons suck.
Originally Posted by GuessWho
Agreed... start with season 3 or 4
Originally Posted by Ravid
The first two seasons don't hold a candle to the rest of the series, but they're still very funny.
Old 01-06-06, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wow. Someone isn't even reading their own thread:
You're right, that has been said many times before and typing it before I've had my morning caffeine to wake up wasn't a good idea.
Old 01-06-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I see this as a failed experiment: I'm not enjoying the show, no one is enjoying the thread.

I'll continue with watching for a while, but won't subject anybody further to my comments.
Old 01-06-06, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's not necessary. There are a lot of Seinfeld fans here that will enjoy seeing what it is like to view them for the first time by a newcomer. At least give season 3 a try instead of giving up.
Old 01-06-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can the show experts tell me when it finally hits it's stride and that particular season is representative of the series as a whole? Is it the third?
Upon examining the way the seasons are packaged, does Sony consider Season 4 the best? S1-3 were packaged together and S5 & S6 were packaged together in a special edition set while S4 only sells alone. That always made me .
Old 01-06-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Upon examining the way the seasons are packaged, does Sony consider Season 4 the best? S1-3 were packaged together and S5 & S6 were packaged together in a special edition set while S4 only sells alone. That always made me .
I think that's more a function of the release schedule. They launched the series on DVD with a gift pack convienently available for purchase at Christmastime, but didn't want to wait a whole year to release the next season.

Plus, two sets makes for a better gift pack, so I think that's why season four has been the only "solo" release so far. I imagine season seven will also be released alone, while 8 & 9 will be the final gift pack for Christmas 2006.
Old 01-06-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I see this as a failed experiment: I'm not enjoying the show, no one is enjoying the thread.

I'll continue with watching for a while, but won't subject anybody further to my comments.
I'll echo the comments to skip ahead to S3 or 4. There's no point in your trudging through the weaker stuff. Sample a few episodes of the show in its prime, since you're obviously interested, and if it's still not for you, at least you have Curb.
Old 01-06-06, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by Quake1028
I'm gonna start a thread like this soon for Babylon 5 . Should be fun with das around .
There is one floating around...aamof, I think ill post in it NOW!
Old 01-06-06, 02:47 PM
Suspended

My cousin's girlfriend used to HATE Seinfeld. My cousin watched it all the time and eventually she began to like it. Sometimes a show takes a while to grow on you. Also, it helps when watching with someone who finds it funny.
Old 01-06-06, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Slayer2005
Also, it helps when watching with someone who finds it funny.
Agreed. Laughter can be infectious.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.