TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

New Justice League??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
I really like this ep but was a bit confused toward. I know that Darkseid has been missing this season but I was suprised when he said that Superman killed him. When did this happen? Was there an ep that I missed where Supes did him in or is this just a reference to the Superman/Batman comics where the current Kara Zor-El first appeared?
It was from whatever episode of Justice League where Superman tried to stop Braniac from destroying Apokolips. Superman and Darkseid got in a huge fight, then the astroid or whatever they were on blew up, but Batman pulled Superman out in a boom tube.
Old 05-14-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Destroyer was pretty good. Didn't care for Lex saving the day though. Why this wasn't at least a 4 part ending I don't know.

Oh well, it was a great series and one I will really miss
Old 05-14-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
yeah, this last episode felt VERY rushed.

but it was cool to see superman unleash himself. it was cool in that Captain Marvel episode, too.

god, this series could have gone on forever... so many characters to work with. sucks that it's gone.
Old 05-16-06, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Just watched these last night, neat two-parter, but a bit of a letdown as a series finale. My wife kept thinking the woman in the magician's outfit with the magic hat was kinda goofy, what's her story?

Is Boomerang still airing these? We've lived in the Chicago burbs since 1997, and have been asking Comcast Cable for Boomerang ever since we heard about it years ago. Does anyone know why they haven't added it yet? They used to have some of the shows for free on the OnDemand system, but now they cost money unless you subscribe to Boomerang, but we can't subscribe! I'd hate to have to get satellite just for one channel.
Old 05-16-06, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
yeah, this last episode felt VERY rushed.

but it was cool to see superman unleash himself. it was cool in that Captain Marvel episode, too.

god, this series could have gone on forever... so many characters to work with. sucks that it's gone.
I agree. I watched it again last night and it didn't feel like the end. Maybe they did it that way for a reason?? Who knows.. sad to see it go. My boyfriend actually got teary eyed! (he gets that way with the Transformer movie too )

but, alas, it's over.. i'm still keeping it set on my dvr though!
Old 05-16-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Just watched these last night, neat two-parter, but a bit of a letdown as a series finale. My wife kept thinking the woman in the magician's outfit with the magic hat was kinda goofy, what's her story?
That's Zatanna. Here comics origin short version would be...
Zatanna is the daughter of a Golden Age adventurer/magician John Zatara and his wife Sindella, a member of the mystic tribe of sorcerers called the Hidden Ones, or Homo Magi. Zatanna inherited her mother's ablity to manipulate magic, and her father's penchant for heroism. When Sindella faked her own death and returned to the Hidden Ones' sanctum, she left her daughter in John Zatara's care.
Zatara travelled the world with his daughter and taught her how to harness her magical abilities. She eventually created a stage persona for herself, and eventually teamed up with, and joined the JLA for many adventures.
Her powers include being genetically imbued with the abilty to maniplulate magic; sorcery includes elemental manipulation, transmutation, and teleportation; she says here spells backwards as an aid to concentration

As for the animated version, as usual it's a bit more streamlined/simplfied, and slightly changed. She made her debut on the Batman:The Animated Series epiosde "Zatanna", which is on the second DVD box set, disc 4 - in case you want to rent it.

The outfit may be kind of goofy, but it's also pretty hot.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 05-16-06 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-16-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Zatanna was featured in a previous JLU episode.
Old 05-16-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
Is Boomerang still airing these?
Yeah, it's only been on for about 3 weeks. They just started Season 2, but unfortunately skipped the 3 part Savage Time for some reason. 7 nights a week, no commercials, & most have been widescreen. The origin show was fullscreen & maybe 1 or 2 others (Paradise Lost? Metamorphosis? can't remember...) Boomerang fills out each half hour with either a Wonder Twins short, or something from one of the 60's Filmation series.
Old 05-16-06, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by msblue
My boyfriend actually got teary eyed!
I got a little teary too Not because of anything in particular in that ep, but the realization in the final scenes that this could be the last new Timm-universe episode on tv I'll ever see (yeah, I know about the stand-alone movies, but it's not the same). Like others have said ... it was rushed but better than I was lead to believe. I wasn't let down. It's great Boomerang is showing these (and Batman and Superman) -- though with my DVD sets it doesn't really affect me. Still, exposure so new people can see is only a good thing.

Anyone see the character images for "Legion of Superheroes"? http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...12/legion1.htm Looks very "Teen Titans"-like.
Old 05-16-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Zatanna was featured in a previous JLU episode.
Yep, that would be in first season of Justice Leauge Unlimited (after it switched over from just Justice League), in the episode "This Little Piggy".
Old 05-27-06, 06:56 PM

great article here:

http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=10626
Old 05-28-06, 06:32 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

ahhh man... i didn't know that it was the last episode. It's the same crap they pulled with x-men evolution they cancel it right when its getting good.
Old 09-16-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just watched the last season of JLU back-to-back (and for the first time). I must say that the ending left me mostly fulfilled, but VERY sad to know that I will be unable to continue seeing these characters evolve. I was unfamiliar with many of them (even though I'm mostly a DC-fanboy), but the series' "take" on them felt dead-on. JL and JLU were extremely entertaining. I can't think of any episode in the entire series that I didn't enjoy. I just wanted to bump this thread out of appreciation for the hard work of Timm and co., with the hope that this series won't be their last contribution to the animated DCU.
Old 09-17-06, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Darknite39
I just watched the last season of JLU back-to-back (and for the first time). I must say that the ending left me mostly fulfilled, but VERY sad to know that I will be unable to continue seeing these characters evolve. I was unfamiliar with many of them (even though I'm mostly a DC-fanboy), but the series' "take" on them felt dead-on. JL and JLU were extremely entertaining. I can't think of any episode in the entire series that I didn't enjoy. I just wanted to bump this thread out of appreciation for the hard work of Timm and co., with the hope that this series won't be their last contribution to the animated DCU.
I recently watched them all back to back as well and really enjoyed the series. I was sad as well knowing the series has been cancelled. They are working on direct to DVD movies (Superman vs. Doomsday, Justice League and Teen Titans), which is something I'm looking forward to.
Old 09-17-06, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hadn't heard about Direct-to-DVD releases. Are they from Timm or are they simply attempts to make some cash for WB (like the Supes vs. Braniac DtD feature)? I googled, but I didn't come up with much...
Old 09-17-06, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
From Wikipedia:
At Comic-Con '06 Bruce Timm denied that he will be coming back into the DCAU but near the end, after the lights went out, he unveiled that he will do the Death of Superman story as a direct-to-DVD, along with an adaptation of the Teen Titans: The Judas Contract storyline as well as DC: The New Frontier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Superman
Old 09-17-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome!

Thanks!
Old 12-21-06, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Ok, I finally picked up the Justice League Unlimited S1... Wow, just wow. Due to not having cable when JLU was on I didn't get to catch the eps. But I knew this series was good from following the JLU threads. But now, seeing it for myself, I'm just amazed at where this series went. From the countless heroes both well known and obscure that pepper the scenes, to the amazingly mature storylines, this series just wreaked of Class, great writing, and so much more.

I really feel like someone, and a very wise someone at DC/Time Warner, had the good sense to let Timm and his gang do their thing with little interference. I mean hell, Cadmus, Amanda Waller , Hawkgirl's return, the way they worked the characters from "Superfriends" back into the JL series in such a creative way, having a good portion of the JSA appear and they even had an ep or two after not allowing them to appear during a time travel ep in the 1st season.

It'll be a looong time before we see another comic based series with this level of goodness.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-21-06 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-21-06, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Ok, I finally picked up the Justice League Unlimited S1... Wow, just wow. Due to not having cable when JLU was on I didn't get to catch the eps. But I knew this series was good from following the JLU threads. But now, seeing it for myself, I'm just amazed at where this series went. From the countless heroes both well known and obscure that pepper the scenes, to the amazingly mature storylines, this series just wreaked of Class, great writing, and so much more.

I really feel like someone, and a very wise someone at DC/Time Warner, had the good sense to let Timm and his gang do their thing with little interference. I mean hell, Cadmus, Amanda Waller , Hawkgirl's return, and the way they worked the characters from "Superfriends" back into the JL series in such a creative way, having a good portoin of the JSA appear and they even had an ep or two after not allowing them to appear during a time travel ep in the 1st season.

It'll be a looong time before we see another comic based series with this level of goodness.
why can`t the movies and comics be this good?
Old 12-24-06, 01:22 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
Just caught the last part of that TT arc with le Grand Melee - fun stuff. I recognized alot of the old school TT villains and heroes. But not later ones - like, who was the guy with the Horn-that-creates-Space-Wraps?
That would be Mal Duncan who has had several IDs in his career. He's been The Guardian, Hornblower, Herald and currently Vox. He first appeared in 1970 around the time DC was trying to get more ethnic diversity in their characters.

Basicly how he joined the Titans was he rescued them from a street gang by beating the gang's leader in a boxing match. As The Guardian he wore an exo-skeleton that enhanced his strength