Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville -- "Lexmas" -- 12/08/05

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
I was out when this aired and forgot to leave it taping.
Old 12-09-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Very entertaining episode.
Old 12-09-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Michael Rosebaum did a great job. It was interesting to see everyone play a variation of their characters. I hope what Lex finally does will not lead to the death they are talking about.
Old 12-09-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was a pretty entertaining episode. Anybody else get a kick out of Lex when he first wakes up in the dream and is like "What the Fff?"
Old 12-09-05, 04:42 PM
Banned

Nice that Lex was able to walk around on his own only hours after having major surgery that gave him the ability to walk again.
Old 12-09-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Didn't the surgeon announce rather boldly that he was going to perform a miracle?
Old 12-09-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Legolas
Nice that Lex was able to walk around on his own only hours after having major surgery that gave him the ability to walk again.

It's a Christmas miracle!
Old 12-09-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Didn't the surgeon announce rather boldly that he was going to perform a miracle?
Yeah I thought that the moment he made his arrogant boast right before doing the surgery, i'm like wow... that doctor is a prick.
Old 12-09-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Michael Rosebaum did a great job. It was interesting to see everyone play a variation of their characters. I hope what Lex finally does will not lead to the death they are talking about.
He will become president, but will suffer from a disease brought on by his years of exposure to Kryptonite, and the disease will cause his touch to kill anything he touches (which is what I understood from the vision he had in the first season. I know he becomes president in the comics, but I am not sure about his Kryptonite sickness in the comics.)

And thinking about this episode, I don't think that it was a dream. I think he actually saw his future, or the future he could have if he made the right decisions.

I thought this episode would be a throwaway episode, but it really got into some good character development.
Old 12-10-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
He will become president, but will suffer from a disease brought on by his years of exposure to Kryptonite, and the disease will cause his touch to kill anything he touches (which is what I understood from the vision he had in the first season. I know he becomes president in the comics, but I am not sure about his Kryptonite sickness in the comics.)
From the comix - Lex lost his hand due to kryptonite poisoning from wearing a ring made of the stuff, which kept Superman a safe distance at all times. Eventually, the poisoning spread and he was going to die, but he had a clone of himself created, faked his death, had his brain transplanted to the clone, and returned as his own long-lost son, but was eventually found out. Then he becomes president!
Old 12-10-05, 01:00 PM

lana looked great
Old 12-10-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
WGN cut out 10 minutes in the middle here in Chicago to cover the plane-off-runway story. They come back from the newsguy and Lana was in hospital dying; I have no idea why.
Old 12-10-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
WGN cut out 10 minutes in the middle here in Chicago to cover the plane-off-runway story. They come back from the newsguy and Lana was in hospital dying; I have no idea why.
She died with complications that followed giving birth.
Old 12-10-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Thanks!
Old 12-10-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
because her middle name is Padme
Old 12-11-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
because her middle name is Padme
If they only had Lex going, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" after he learned of Lana's death, that would have capped the episode nicely.
Old 12-12-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While I found this be a very good episode, I felt that Lex’s mom really dropped the ball on this one. I was glad to see that they made an effort to put a new spin on the most overused of all Christmas stories (do we really need another Scrooge story?) I was afraid that they were going to leave it rather open ended as to which path Lex chose and was glad to see that they have really cemented Lex’s fate as the true villain of the story.

With that being said, I really feel that the setup was poorly done. I can’t fathom (assuming that all of it really happened and wasn’t a hallucination on Lex’s part) why Lex’s mother would use this last chance of trying to turn her son down the right path, by showing him what would probably the most painful of experiences for anyone to endure. I can appreciate the sentiment that an ordinary life is filled with highs and lows without much sense of empowerment to control the low points. But if you are trying to convince Lex to turn straight, maybe the untimely death of his wife is not the best of choices to show. Perhaps the birth of his firstborn. His wedding. Something. Anything, but the death of his beloved.

I have to admit that if I was given a glimpse to the future, where my influence (in this case impregnation) would be the direct cause of the early death of my spouse, I would more than likely choose a different path as well. I feel like in this case, Lex was in a lose/lose situation. If Lex chose the “good” path, someone he loved would die. In many ways, he chose the more noble path. A path forsaking all the things that were very important to him: Friendship with Clark, respect from Mr. Kent, and marriage to Lana. He is really turning into a truly tragic character.
Old 12-12-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, it shows that Lex is an emotional cripple. The damage from his mother's early demise, and Lionel's efforts to shoehorn Lex into being something he resisted in his teen years has turned him into someone who doesn't want to ever be hurt on the inside again, and if that means turning people away, so be it. Lex missed out on the lessons that death is eventual, it will happen, the sooner you learn to deal with it, the better you will appreciate the moments shared between loved ones while they are amongst the living. Death doesn't have to turn someone into a defiant person, hungering for tangibles to replace intangibles.
Old 12-12-05, 10:18 AM

True. But still it would seem that since Lex does have such emotional baggage, it would have been more productive show him some minor painful episodes of his future life rather than something as traumatic as the death of a loved one. This is something that he has already experienced in his life. Lex needed to see that there can be good things in his life if he chooses the right path and the bad things take on a new (positive) perspective when you choose good.

In any case, I was glad to see that this episode didn't turn into a warm hearted, everything turned out good and rosey, Christmas Special. I was glad to see that the writer's decided to give us a very clear cut scene where Lex has chosen to take the dark path. This will, in my opinion, turn out to be the turning point which will forever determine Lex's path from which he will not turn from.

I'm very pleased with the way this season is turning out so far.
Old 12-12-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Lex could have quite easily taken his 2 kids and made a life for them, perhaps re-marry, but still remain quite thankful for the kids he had with Lana, and the memories they shared. But Lex's way of coping is similar to the child-like mentality of Anakin Skywalker in terms of motivation to save the one he loves (so that they'll never die, and he won't have to experience losing a loved one ever again - however childlike that worldview is), and then go darkly into that good night when things don't go his way. Also, don't forget, Lex's mom did Lex no favors by making Lex pretty poor and powerless in this alternate future due to Lionel cutting Lex out of the family fortune and access to power. It's that powerlessness that drives Lex over the edge (when he can't get Lionel to loan use of the helicopter to save Lana).
Old 12-12-05, 11:50 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Pretty good episode. I did like the acting (and Chloe DID look hot) and everything, but at first I thought it was kind of a pointless exercise. We know that Lex is the villain of the piece. But the more I think about it, the more I liked it. I like seeing Lex head down the dark path. It's much better than Anakin's oops-now-I'm-bad turn to the dark side. The actual progression as he makes the choices that send him down that path is very interesting to watch, and Rosenbaum does such a great job with the character.

I do wish they had stuck to Lex's story and left the dumb Santa part out. Also, Senator Jonathan made me a bit. Apparently once he's a senator, he has to wear glasses. Anyway, good story overall. It was very poignant in that last shot of Lex looking out the window and seeing his Mom fade away.
Old 12-12-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of glasses, did future Clark have on glasses? I would assume he was Superman by then, and would be wearing glasses.
Old 12-12-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But Lex can't extrapolate the glasses with what he knows of Clark now.
Old 12-12-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
But Lex can't extrapolate the glasses with what he knows of Clark now.
Well, that's the debate, isn't it? Did Lex extrapolate that from his own mind, or did he actually get the gift to see his future as it would actually be?

I vote for the latter.
Old 12-12-05, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lex gets shot, and drifts in and out and has a "what if" that his subconscious generates, and his subconscious uses his mother as his "guide" through this scenario, so all the future scenes are his subconscious extrapolation of what might be if he gave into his desire for Lana, and it goes from there (and his subconscious also plays upon his internal fears to present a scenario that makes his new priorities the accumulation of money and power).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.