Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 11/19/05 - (H) Eva Longoria (M) Korn

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-05, 11:48 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Eva's actually doing a pretty good job here IMO, too bad she's not getting any decent material to work with. The Steve Jobs and R Kelly stuff was funny, and there were a few other chuckles here and there, but otherwise not very good. These days almost everything pretty much falls into one of two categories: good ideas that they failed to execute properly, and ideas that were unfunny to begin with.
Old 11-19-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
Eva's actually doing a pretty good job here IMO, too bad she's not getting any decent material to work with.
It seems like she's been singing in every sketch she's been in. But, yeah, she ranks right up there with Jennifer Garner as far as not having to read cue cards..
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Loved the diarrhea sketch lol.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, Firmium skit was good.
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
wow a poop joke
never done that before
Old 11-19-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
did she mention poop types that involved corn? that would have been good
Old 11-19-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by mikehunt
wow a poop joke
never done that before
Don'tcha get it...it's an INCREDIBLY HOT, GORGEOUS SEXY CHICK talking about BOWEL MOVEMENTS!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Why, the last time I remember laughing this hard was when they were poking fun at Rita Rudner.

Ah, good times..
Old 11-20-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The new chick did a dead-on Karen Walker (even down to the cleavage).

Overall, an average show, not the worst, not the best.

I'm serious, they need to bring back Robert Wagner, he was really good.
Old 11-20-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not a bad one. Not as good as last week with Jason Lee, but still a Eva Longoria was a pretty good host, I didn’t see her reading cue cards at all.

Bush press conference
Jeez, another Bush press conference bit? This cow stopped giving milk long ago. Anyway, Bush is in China and doesn’t want to answer any more questions about the war.
Not funny for the last ten times it was done.

Monologue
Quick one, maybe three jokes. A shirtless Parnell, pale & pudgy, is trimming a tree near the stage. You see, Longoria was having sex with a gardener on DH. EL then makes a reference about how glad she is that there won’t be any Latino stereotypes tonight, just as Sanz enters in a sombrero and long mustache, holding a rake. Very funny visual as he scrambles off. Finally, Mary Alice’s disembodied voice gets hooked up with Don Pardo’s voice.

Rad 3000
The smoke detector that plays 80s songs. A repeat.

The Spammies
Dratch as Rita Rudner hosting an award show for spam emails. The Nigerian guy and Megan Mullally (Wiig doing an excellent impression) give an award, and then Peter Gallagher and the sick kid who needs his email forwarded give another award. Pretty funny.

Deep House Dish
An MTV4 show about house music. Longoria sings a brief song about going to the club every day. Not much else.

Morgan Stanley
Recorded ad parody about the MS broker getting a little too involved in his clients’ lives. Another repeat.

The Needlers
The couple that should be divorced. Now they’re at their ten year college reunion. They insult each other, and then have sex in the coat room. I still like these characters. EL on as an old classmate.

Vincent Price Thanksgiving Special 1958
Weird special with Clark Gable(Parnell), a drugged out Judy Garland (Wiig), Alfred Hitchcock (Sanz), and Desi (Armisen) & Lucy (EL). Bill Hader is the best part of the skit as an exasperated Vincent Price, although he sounded more like Charles Nelson Reilly than he did like Price. I got some laughs out of it.

Weekend Update
Worst one I’ve seen in a while. Some jokes about Schmidt being booed in Congress. Yet another Monica Lewinsky joke. Steve Jobs comes on with new Ipods that get smaller and smaller.

Vanity Fair photo shoot
Great bit about the famous photo shoot for the cover of VF that had people buzzing about how much the DH cast hated each other. EL is Teri Hatcher, always trying to sneak into the middle of the photo. Poehler as an unbalanced Marcia Cross. Dratch as a timid Longoria, Wiig as an out-of-place Felicity Huffman, and Seth Myers as a masculine Nicolette Sheridan. Ouch. The photographer is trying to get a shot, but the cast and the ABC rep have many many rules about who can go where.

Trapped in a Closet Two
An R. Kelly DVD. South Park also did a closet bit on Kelly this past week, and I still have no idea what the fuck it means. Why is he stuck in a closet at all? Is he literally in a closet? I DUNNO. Then, Thompson shows up as an alien, confusing me even more.

The Englehart 5
An album commercial for a Bavarian family singing group. Most of the songs are about the accidental shooting death of one of the brothers by another. At least it tried to be different.

Firmium
As the show is coming to an end, EL plugs her diarrhea medicine. Infantile, but diarrhea is always funny. Lots of phrases here:
Brown drizzlies
Butt submarine
Human espresso machine
Bowls of chocolate soft serve
Releasing the fudgy hostages
Taking the Browns to the Super Bowl

Next host is Dane Cook. I don't mind because he's a great standup and should do a good job, but I would bet that the vast majority has never heard of him. Interesting choice.

Last edited by Charlie Goose; 11-20-05 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-20-05, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought this was yet another awful episode, and if not the worst of the season, just about there. The closing sketch... Well, it was a perfect end to the episode. Ridiculous, infantile skit compiled from a bunch of disgusting toilet humor. Weekend Update, absolutely awful. The Vincent Price thing, what an awful impression of Vincent Price. The only thing that was even tolerable was the Vanity Fair skit, which was only a half a year late.

And like others, I have absolutely no clue who the hell this guy hosting the next new episode is. I think that might just be the episode where I start watching the full hour of MadTV and then turning the TV off after it's over.
Old 11-20-05, 01:47 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by tcoursen
This show is really really going down hill.
Ya think?
Old 11-20-05, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Wow, charlie Goose is dilusional.

The two best cast members on this show are the new guy and girl
Old 11-20-05, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Dane Cook is an awesome comedian who might kickstart the dreadful writing on this show
Old 11-20-05, 02:29 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
I just realized the new female cast member is Dr Pat from Joe Schmo LOL
Old 11-20-05, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, that sucked. But i must say i'm rather heartened by the Wiig chick and Hader. both have got the chops to bring the funny. never underestimate the power of a good impression. i've been impressed with them. they need to be featured along with Myers and Poehler.

and what the fuck is up with showing the same two commerical parodies every week. That's worse than showing new shitty ones. it's like they aren't even trying.

and I have no idea who Dane cook is either.
Old 11-20-05, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.danecook.com/

lots of video worth checking out...seems pretty funny
Old 11-20-05, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Korn...Freak on a Leash???

If Eva Longoria wasn't hosting I could swear this is a 1998 repeat
Old 11-20-05, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brizz
http://www.danecook.com/

lots of video worth checking out...seems pretty funny
okay..really fucking funny. check out the Insomniac tour videos...they get progressively more hilarious - the first time i got head story is great.

and he seems pretty damned popular with the young folks - i bet that's why he's hosting....going after that younger demographic. fairly shrewd, and i'm actually excited to see it.
Old 11-20-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
Yeah, when it started, i was like, are they really playing a 5 year old song? Then i looked it up and realized it was 7 years!
Old 11-20-05, 09:18 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Gotta side with the Goose on this one. I laughed quite a few times and was never really down on a skit ('cept for the MTV4 one and the opening sketch... getting really tired of the political openings).

Wiig's Megan Mullaly and Judy Garland impersonations were dead on.

Crud, I even liked Sanz' Hitchcock.

Armesen's Job's was good too (especially the hands and the dramatic pause).
Old 11-20-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked this ep. Not only did it have Dratch showing off the twins in every other sketch, but most of the sketches actually made me laugh. The Vincent Price one was good, Judy Garland and Hitchcock stole it. Update was okay, seemed a little short though. Poehler has nice legs. The biggest downside was that they keep reusing commercials. If they're going to repeat, then why not reach back to some of the classics from the earlier seasons.

I expected more from Korn. Was the guy with the bass even playing the instrument?

D
Old 11-20-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brizz
yeah, that sucked. But i must say i'm rather heartened by the Wiig chick and Hader. both have got the chops to bring the funny. never underestimate the power of a good impression. i've been impressed with them. they need to be featured along with Myers and Poehler.
Its not just imitations...I think Hader brings a sort of manic energy to his regular characters...His THERE SCUM! as the french official last week had an almost Monty Pythonish silliness to it
Old 11-20-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES

If Eva Longoria wasn't hosting I could swear this is a 1998 repeat
I've noticed recent musical guests have been playing one new song and one older song lately. I'm wondering why they switched from the usual format of having current single/next single as the songs, perhaps too many people were switching off since they didn't know the second song?
Old 11-20-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Franz Ferdinand AND Foo Fighters did it too
Old 11-20-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Franz Ferdinand AND Foo Fighters did it too
Not sure about Franz, but both Foo songs were off their latest album. Not "In Your Honour" and "the Colour And the Shape".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.