The Simpsons -- "Tree House of Horror XVI" -- 11/06/05

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Simpsons -- "Tree House of Horror XVI" -- 11/06/05

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-05, 08:34 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Rather lackluster episode. I too enjoyed the opening, but the rest was sub-par, IMO.
Old 11-07-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by WhoGirl
Halloween was on a Sunday this year, too. Didn't stop them from moving it forward a week for November sweeps. They've been doing that for a few years and I doubt they'll change it. It still brings in ratings and it isn't so bad watching it a week after Halloween's already happened. Now if they started playing it in December...

Not too bad of an episode overall.

As Deftones noted, it was on a Monday; but I think the whole reason that THOH has been airing in November is more to do with the World Series than November sweeps. Or maybe it started with one and is using the other as an excuse to wait till November, although many other shows are airing new episodes the week before and of Haloween.
Old 11-07-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I laughed at the Abu R2D2 but thats about it. It was pretty much on level with the rest of the recent episodes of Simpsons. I don't mind watching it, but I'm not finding it all that funny.
Old 11-07-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I thought it was okay. The first two bits were a stretch for a halloween ep, but that's happened in the past. Got the most chuckles out of the Hunt one and the last one.
Old 11-07-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I don't understand all the dislike toward this episode - sure, there have been better episodes, but there have also been far worse episodes too. I'd put this one somewhere in the 50% range, where about half of all Simpsons episodes are better, and the other half worse - but still better than 90% of most every other TV shows.
Old 11-07-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
Wow, did you make it through high school English without ever once having to read "The Most Dangerous Game"?
I was thinking the same thing. That's such a mainstay of High School English everywhere that it's very surprising to find someone who has never read or even heard of the story. It's like finding someone who has never read or heard of The Catcher in the Rye or Huckleberry Finn.
Old 11-07-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
I don't understand all the dislike toward this episode - sure, there have been better episodes, but there have also been far worse episodes too. I'd put this one somewhere in the 50% range, where about half of all Simpsons episodes are better, and the other half worse - but still better than 90% of most every other TV shows.
Because this is a Treehouse of Horror episode, usually the cream of the crop, and the best results we get are maybe a couple of chuckles or a smirk, then you have to admit that The Simpsons is seriously sucking. If you consider the importance and potential of this episode and you yourself give it a 50%, you might see that a lot of viewers are weary of the wasted potential. Even Jackskeleton came onto this board complaining about the episode and even whole seasons and he's one that would regularly defend The Simpsons, usually touting that even bad Simpsons is better than most TV. If he's turned, you know it's bad.

Over the years, we were forgiving of one or two clunker episodes per season, but that's been increasing over the years and now it seems the inverse is the norm, that there might be one or two good episodes per season. Personally, I was one that The Simpsons had a priority, that I had to watch it every week. Now, I don't give a second thought about missing a new episode and there are instances of changing the channel halfway through a show. It's too bad that Fox moved Arrested Development because when it followed The Simpsons, I was reassured that I hadn't lost my sense of humor and that I could heartily laugh at something on TV, having sat stone-faced through The Simpsons, wondering where the funny went.

I'm reminded of the wisdom of the late Johnny Carson. After seeing so many entertainers decline over their careers, futilely trying to grasp their glory years that they appear sad and pathetic, he decided he wouldn't take that route. I just wonder how bad if will have to be before they decide to wrap up The Simpsons.

Last edited by RKillgore; 11-07-05 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-07-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I've never heard of The Most Dangerous Game, and I was in all those Honors/AP classes in High School. Ah well.

I only caught bits and pieces of the episode since i was watching a basketball game, but the parts i caught were funny. Moleman turning into a Mole was pretty cool.
Old 11-07-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, i'm done trying to figure this out and all the hate for Vincent D'onofrio on L&O CI. Just go with it.
Old 11-07-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Didn't hate the episode, just wasn't particularly entertained by it.

Oh how I miss the days of The Shinning.
Old 11-07-05, 02:23 PM

I also thought the first two segments barely belonged, I don't expect much from the regular season episodes these days but for the halloween episode to sink so low it just makes me sad.
Old 11-07-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought the episode was a B-. Not very funny and I sadly see some bits where they try to steal some of the thunder from Family Guy.

My Sunday night highlight is American Dad, which is the funniest animated show still on the air. (Otherwise it would get trounced by Futurama and Venture Bros.)
Old 11-07-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
Wow, did you make it through high school English without ever once having to read "The Most Dangerous Game"?
http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/danger.html
I'm sure I've probably read it, but it's probably been years. But not in high school; I went to high school in Kansas, so reading and learning wasn't much of a priority.

Well, actually, my high school literature class seriously put me off of P. G. Wodehouse, so there is that... I also remember reading (for classes) "The Count of Monte Cristo," "Uncle Fred Flits By" (actually, not reading it, because I missed the reading assignment and bombed the fucking test the next day), "Harrison Bergeron," "A&P," "The Pearl," "MacBeth," and "Romeo and Juliet." And a few more that escape my mind at the moment.

"Battle Royale" is fresh in my mind, though, as I'm right in the middle of the manga -- and the bit where Burns wasted Comic Book Guy immediately put me in mind of that.
Old 11-07-05, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Loved the opening rip on baseball. First segment was weak and very, very dated. The second and third segments were strong IMHO, especially the second. "Run for 5 minutes?! Just shoot me now!"
Old 11-07-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When I was a kid, I loved the episode of Gilligan's Island* that spoofed The Most Dangerous Game. I'm surprised that more people aren't familiar with the 1932 film. (Filmed on the set of King Kong)

Available on DVD by Criterion and Alpha. (Surprisingly, the Alpha print is quite good)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...s=dvd&v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...s=dvd&v=glance

* Guest Star: Rory Calhoun
Old 11-08-05, 12:26 AM

I liked this episode a lot, it was a great Treehouse but I was entertained through the show.

In high school we didn't read "The Most Dangerous Game." We read "Catcher in the Rye," "Ethan Frome" and "Black Like Me." That was in "advanced english" since my school didn't believe in AP classes. We did more in my physics I class than other SP physics classes did, then I took physics II. Grr!

I find it odd that Simpsons took a shot at Family Guy (during the end credits one of the scary names was "Family Guy") the same night Family Guy took a shot at the Simpsons (Homer gets run over and Peter asks who he is.)
Old 11-08-05, 09:59 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not up to par with the classics, but still better than the past few Treehouse of Horror eps.
Old 11-09-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Doesn't the A.I. parody seem a few years... late?
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
First segment was weak and very, very dated.
That's what I was thinking during the celebrated 3-D segment from ten years ago. Do you realize they were spoofing the freakin' Twilight Zone in that one? The TWILIGHT ZONE! That was, like, from 50 years ago!!!1!11!!
Old 11-09-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
That's what I was thinking during the celebrated 3-D segment from ten years ago. Do you realize they were spoofing the freakin' Twilight Zone in that one? The TWILIGHT ZONE! That was, like, from 50 years ago!!!1!11!!
Sarcasm aside, you're not actually comparing the pop-culture influence and staying power of the Twillight Zone to that crapfest AI, are you?
Old 11-10-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Sarcasm aside, you're not actually comparing the pop-culture influence and staying power of the Twillight Zone to that crapfest AI, are you?
First, I'm well known in these parts as a big A.I. defender. Secondly, I'm willing to bet that more "young people" know the A.I. reference than the Twilight Zone reference.

My point is, paying homage to something that came before doesn't necessarily need to be timely. As long as it's in the past, it's fair game, IMO.
Old 11-10-05, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
decent episode but not that great.
Old 11-15-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought the "you'll have to go through your father" part was hilarious.