Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Which is Better: Voyager or Enterprise?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Voyager or Enterprise?
I Prefer Voyager
42.72%
I Prefer Enterprise
23.30%
I Despise Both Shows; Rick Berman Should Burn in Hell!
24.27%
I Like Them Both
9.71%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Which is Better: Voyager or Enterprise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally don't care about the fact that he didn't like the show- I just wanted to offer a possible reason as to why so many seem to think his role as Chakotay was 'weak'. It's not his fault if the material he had to work with wasn't inspiring.
Old 11-07-05, 04:41 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Then how come everyone but him and Wang were able to step up and deliver?
Old 11-07-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I personally don't care about the fact that he didn't like the show- I just wanted to offer a possible reason as to why so many seem to think his role as Chakotay was 'weak'. It's not his fault if the material he had to work with wasn't inspiring.
No, it wasnt his fault and he wanted to make the show better. Why do people fault him for that??? None of the actors were given decent material to work with and were often blamed (Janeway) but they did the best they could with what they were given. Chakotay could have been a kick ass well written hero but instead he just stood on the side and said things to Janeway. He lost his edge after they watered down the whole Maquis thing and he never recovered.
Look at what they did with T'vok. He has to be the most annoying character and most annoying Vulcan ever to be portrayed in Star Trek. Not Russ' fault.
I believe they asked Nimoy his opinion of T'vok once he said it was a good Spock impression but that's about it. At least Spock had a sense of humor to him because he was half human.
Old 11-07-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts
One listen of the "In a Mirror Darkly" theme song, and you'll see why the ENT theme is so hated. When the show was first out, I didn't know the theme song was a cover, and I was trying to like, but then I heard it was a cover (and not a good one at that), it sealed it for me. The imagery was beautiful, and deserved something as good as Voyager's (which I agree was worth sitting thru every time).

People like to bash fanboys for criticizing shows and saying they could run them better, with the argument that they don't understand the whole process and wouldn't do any better in their place. I can't *fully* agree with that statement. Both VOY and ENT would have benefitted greatly from a fanboy sitting on set with a copy of the Okuda Encyclopedia, Trimble's Concordance and a cattle prod. Bringing the Reeve-Stevens in for the 4th season of ENT seemed to have the same effect. Watching any ep from a previous season, and then watching one of their 4th season eps is like watching Pauly Shore do Hamlet, then watching Olivier (sp?) do Hamlet. If they had been given a little more time, they could have made it something else entirely. As it stands, the only DVD of either I feel like buying is S4 of ENT, and of course not watching the first two, and the last ep.
Old 11-07-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does it really matter if Garrett Wang was a bad actor? It's not as if his character ever had many lines or anything. He was like the most underused character in Trek history.
Old 11-07-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well B and B have a history of creating characters that have potential and then letting them push buttons. Kim, Kess and almost everyone on Enterprise. I dont even remember their names.
Old 11-07-05, 07:04 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Does it really matter if Garrett Wang was a bad actor? It's not as if his character ever had many lines or anything. He was like the most underused character in Trek history.
Yes, it matters, and I daresay you overstate your case. Kim had more development than ENTERPRISE's Reed, Mayweather and Sato; hell, not to mention Classic TREK's Sulu, Chekov, and Uhura (iconic characters, to be sure, but how much do you know about them beyond a lot of valiant button-pushing?)...
Old 11-07-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

riley_dude

Well B and B have a history of creating characters that have potential and then letting them push buttons. Kim, Kess and almost everyone on Enterprise. I dont even remember their names.
I think you seriously underrate the contributions from Reeves, Merryweather, and Santos.

das
Old 11-07-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
No way. Merriweather was on Enterprise. At least Wang got some decent story lines w/ Tom Paris.
Old 11-07-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
At least Wang got some decent story lines w/ Tom Paris.
You said, "Wang".
Old 11-07-05, 11:41 PM

I did love Voyager....and for Enterprise....read my sig.
Old 11-08-05, 08:56 AM
Banned

Yeah...about that signature, sorry to be a prick but it's "themselves", not "themselfs"...and technically, since UPN is a singular noun (one network), it would be "It cancelled itself after cancelling ENTERPRISE". If you prefer using the plural, you could use phrasing like "The powers that be at UPN cancelled themselves after cancelling ENTERPRISE". Will you be my friend?
Old 11-08-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's also incorrect usage of the word "now".

das
Old 11-08-05, 09:46 AM
Banned

Ah yeah...missed that one (I'll blame it on a pre-caffeinated early morning )!
Old 11-08-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have two words for the UPN haters:

VERONICA MARS
Old 11-08-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JetSter735180
I did love Voyager....and for Enterprise....read my sig.
A litter bitter are we?
It was time. No one was watching anymore.
Old 11-08-05, 01:56 PM
Banned

I was.
Old 11-08-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts
Here's the funny thing about Chakotay. In the early seasons I was there, they gave him nothing. Here's this supposed great Maquis leader and it's like they went out of their way to emasculate him and put him second fiddle to Janeway. He's like the older brother watching the kids yet your parents still hire a babysitter.
Old 11-08-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We've talked about this before, but the writers just didn't understand how to write a strong female lead. So instead of making Janeway a great character, they made Chakotay a big pussy in hopes that this discrepancy would confuse us into thinking Janeway was interesting. It's the difference between someone like Joss who has all these grand ideas of writing a great female character in the lead and the folks at Trek who simply did it as a gimmick.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 11-08-05 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Here's the funny thing about Chakotay. In the early seasons I was there, they gave him nothing. Here's this supposed great Maquis leader and it's like they went out of their way to emasculate him and put him second fiddle to Janeway. He's like the older brother watching the kids yet your parents still hire a babysitter.
And that's exactly why Beltran complained. He was a babysitter with a tattoo on his face and got no respect. At least a hinted romance between he and Janeway would have given him something to do. Mulgrew nixed that idea.
Old 11-09-05, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Yeah...about that signature, sorry to be a prick but it's "themselves", not "themselfs"...and technically, since UPN is a singular noun (one network), it would be "It cancelled itself after cancelling ENTERPRISE". If you prefer using the plural, you could use phrasing like "The powers that be at UPN cancelled themselves after cancelling ENTERPRISE". Will you be my friend?
Sorry...and thx.

I am a french canadian. English is my second language.

For my sig..... I wrote this up in March, when thay annouced the cancellation, and before I saw season 1 of Veronica Mars.

You must understand, I am a Trekkie, and always will be. I was 9 years old when I saw my first Star Trek episode (TNG: Encounter at Farpoint) Idid not even know about space exploration, and would come home from school and watch re-run's of TNG and TOS. I grew up with Star Trek.

I did let it go.... we must move on, but I will not change my sig.
Old 11-09-05, 08:53 AM
Banned

Nor would I want you to (I agree with the sentiment), but will you correct its faulty grammar?
Old 11-09-05, 09:45 AM

how about now ?
Old 11-09-05, 11:07 AM
Banned

Fabulous! , my brother!
Old 11-09-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gee, all these grammar corrections and it seems to have killed the convo.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.