Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Mash: Anyone notice that Hawkeye had long hair?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mash: Anyone notice that Hawkeye had long hair?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Any care to offer their opinion on when this show "jumped the shark"? I say it was after Gary Burghoff left.
I agree with that. The show became a smidge too self-righteous and obsessed with puns after Radar was gone in the 8th season. It's still my favorite show of all time though.
Old 10-29-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by rw2516
The movie and series were based on real people and events. The original novel was written by a guy who was a MASH surgeon in Korea. Hawkeye, Trapper, Radar, Hot Lips among others are all based on real people.

There is more truth than fiction to the laid back military comedies. In a business management class in college we studied a military outpost(don't remember which war). The outpost was stuck out in the middle of nowhere and they could never get supplies. No one wore their regulation uniform. No big brass ever came to see them. They ended up having to help themselves to supplies from other bases. Although discipline was lax, morale was so high they were one of the most efficient units in the entire military. Everyone was trying to get transferred into it. I can't remember the exact term for it but it was a textbook example of a management style that is very successful in private and corporate business.
All that's fine and dandy but it was the 1950's. Who wore long hair in the 50's other than Pirates and Artists? Even the pre-hippy Beatnicks still had relatively short hair. Bottomline, the hair was ignored by the makers of MASH back in the 70's.
Old 10-29-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i liked winchester more than burns as well. i always thought he was more of a true foil to hawkeye -- while he could easily be lampooned for his upper crust lifestyle prior to being drafted, he was in pretty much the same boat as hawk and trap. they all were drafted, they all could not wait to get out. winchester probably was a better surgeon than hawk as well (unlike frank, who was a hack).
Old 10-29-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Legolas
Anyone notice the Korean War lasted over a decade on MASH?
Everyone knows that the Korean war started in 1950 and ended in the early 80's with a 2 hour TV movie.
Old 10-29-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
OH MY GAWD!! I was just thinking about this today!

Haircuts that don't go with the time in Period Sitcoms drive me crazy. Happy Days is another show that's guilty of this especially in the later seasons. That Ted guy with his 80's hair.
Dude, that Ted guy kills every show he's ever been on. As soon as he's cast, the other cast members should immediately start sending out resumes because the show will die by the end of the year. Ted's just bad news.

I will list the shows that man has personally put an end to:
"The Wayne Brady Show" playing "Himself" 23 January 2004
"Sports Night" playing "Gordon"
"The John Larroquette Show" playing "Karl Reese"
"Married... with Children" playing "Norman Jablonsky"
"Perfect Strangers" playing "Billy Appleton"
"Fantasy Island" playing "Errol Brookfield III"
Happy Days, of course.
"Dynasty" (1981) TV Series .... Clayburn 'Clay' Fallmont

If he was on MASH, he would have killed that show instantly and we wouldn't have the two hour Hawkeye freakout fest last ever episode.

Thankfully that was never the case.
Old 10-29-05, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

Received 699 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally Posted by mllefoo
Dude, that Ted guy kills every show he's ever been on. As soon as he's cast, the other cast members should immediately start sending out resumes because the show will die by the end of the year. Ted's just bad news.

I will list the shows that man has personally put an end to:
"Married... with Children" playing "Norman Jablonsky"
He was really Jefferson D'Arcy on Married w/Children. The other was a guest appearance. He was on there for 7 years, He didn't kill that one, the seven kid did.

(And don't forget Stan Gable, sheesh! )
Old 10-30-05, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Straw
I always chocked up their un-military behavior and look to the fact that they were doctors, not soldiers, and then thrown in some liberties taken by Hollywood as well. I've continuously been watching the DVDs of this series and am constantly blown away by the level of the writing. Consistently clever throughout until say about season 10. Any care to offer their opinion on when this show "jumped the shark"? I say it was after Gary Burghoff left.

It declined significantly after Season 4 when larry Gelbart stopped writing and producing the shows and continued downward from there.

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 10-30-05, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by mllefoo
He's on one of the Stargate shows now. Can't remember which one I saw him in. I think Atlantis. Plays a military guy.
Old 10-30-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rw2516
He's on one of the Stargate shows now. Can't remember which one I saw him in. I think Atlantis. Plays a military guy.
he is?
I don't remember ever seeing him, and IMDB doesn't list him in any Stargate roles
Old 10-30-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehunt
he is?
I don't remember ever seeing him, and IMDB doesn't list him in any Stargate roles
It was the mid-season finale of one of the shows. I looked and can't find him in the episode credits. He wore military khakis and ball cap. He went on a mission through the gate. If it was SG-1 he went along on the mission to the planet of the super-jaffa. If it was Atlantis he was a member of military who came with Mitch Pillig(however you spell his last name, the x-files guy). I could be wrong but I'd swear it was him. I remember wondering if he was joining the show while I was watching it. If anybody recorded them and still has them they could check.
Old 10-30-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by Legolas
Anyone notice the Korean War lasted over a decade on MASH?
IIRC, the Korean action lasted from 1950-53. I was recently watching the episode where Col Potter takes over, and a date right in the middle of that is given. Wasn't Blake on 4-5 seasons? So they would consider those seasons not being "real time".

Which reminds me of another question: Radar refers to Potter as "regular Army", like he went thru the Army's med school to become a surgeon, instead of being drafted like the others. What was Blake?
Old 10-30-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
IIRC, the Korean action lasted from 1950-53. I was recently watching the episode where Col Potter takes over, and a date right in the middle of that is given. Wasn't Blake on 4-5 seasons? So they would consider those seasons not being "real time".
I agree, it wasn't supposed to be in "real time" They sure celebrated a lot of Christmases during that three year period, though...
Old 10-30-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
he's on a fri show now. in it's second season i think.
hope and grace?

awful typical sitcom.

the terrific bonnie hunt show was retooled then cancelled for ths crap.