DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Mash: Anyone notice that Hawkeye had long hair? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/443070-mash-anyone-notice-hawkeye-had-long-hair.html)

feral125 10-27-05 06:22 PM

Mash: Anyone notice that Hawkeye had long hair?

I can't believe no one noticed that Hawkeye had long hair. It was way too long for the Military. He never wore the required uniform either.

FinkPish 10-27-05 06:50 PM

I'm pretty sure everyone noticed that he had long hair, unless there was a contingent of the blind watching MASH. The whole point of his character was that he was a rebel and disliked the army and any sort of authority. Did you just recently start watching this show? :hscratch:

NORML54601 10-27-05 07:09 PM

:lol:

DodgingCars 10-27-05 07:49 PM

I think its also safe to say that the MASH unit wasn't run like a combat unit.

The Cow 10-27-05 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by feral125
He never wore the required uniform either.

Not true.

mikehunt 10-27-05 08:19 PM

they played drafted doctors on a show meant to rip on the vietnam war
what do you expect

The Cow 10-27-05 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by feral125
I can't believe no one noticed that Hawkeye had long hair. It was way too long for the Military. He never wore the required uniform either.

Did you notice Klinger with the pink bunny slippers and the hang glider?

zebop 10-27-05 08:37 PM

I also noticed Klinger's late '70s, early '80s Texas Rangers cap too.

FinkPish 10-27-05 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
they played drafted doctors on a show meant to rip on the vietnam war
what do you expect

It was actually the Korean War they were fighting in, but the show and the movie were allegories more about Vietnam then Korea.

The Cow 10-27-05 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
It was actually the Korean War they were fighting in, but the show and the movie were allegories more about Vietnam then Korea.

Police Action -wink-

Tommy Ceez 10-27-05 09:17 PM

Are field surgons held to that high a standard?

Joe Molotov 10-27-05 09:33 PM

Anyone notice that Clark Kent looks kinda like Superman but with glasses? Hmmm... :hscratch:

Legolas 10-27-05 09:43 PM

Anyone notice the Korean War lasted over a decade on MASH?

Count Dooku 10-27-05 10:09 PM

I also noticed Klinger's late '70s, early '80s Texas Rangers cap too.
That's a Toledo Mud Hens cap

zebop 10-27-05 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
That's a Toledo Mud Hens cap

Oops, thanks for the head's up.

Giles 10-27-05 11:23 PM

:nopics:

Charlie Goose 10-27-05 11:40 PM

Anyone notice that Margaret Houlihan had facial cosmetic surgery in the middle of a war?

Jack Straw 10-28-05 01:39 AM

I always chocked up their un-military behavior and look to the fact that they were doctors, not soldiers, and then thrown in some liberties taken by Hollywood as well. I've continuously been watching the DVDs of this series and am constantly blown away by the level of the writing. Consistently clever throughout until say about season 10. Any care to offer their opinion on when this show "jumped the shark"? I say it was after Gary Burghoff left.

Count Dooku 10-28-05 03:08 AM

Some people will say it jumped with the departure of Trapper and Henry Blake

I say it jumped with the departure of Frank Burns and the arrival of Winchester

Count Dooku 10-28-05 03:12 AM

Here ya go, Giles

http://images.art.com/images/-/MASH--B10042107.jpeg MASH at its best

Giantrobo 10-28-05 04:34 AM

OH MY GAWD!! I was just thinking about this today! :lol:

Haircuts that don't go with the time in Period Sitcoms drive me crazy. Happy Days is another show that's guilty of this especially in the later seasons. That Ted guy with his 80's hair. :grunt:

Giantrobo 10-28-05 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Some people will say it jumped with the departure of Trapper and Henry Blake

I say it jumped with the departure of Frank Burns and the arrival of Winchester

To each their own. Winchester actually became closer to Hawk and BJ than Frank ever did and I always liked that.

One of my favorite eps was when Hawk's Father was going through surgery and Hawk and Winchester hung out together while waiting for the results. They really bonded in the ep and the knowing knudge at the end between the two was great.

GoldenJCJ 10-28-05 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
To each their own. Winchester actually became closer to Hawk and BJ than Frank ever did and I always liked that.

One of my favorite eps was when Hawk's Father was going through surgery and Hawk and Winchester hung out together while waiting for the results. They really bonded in the ep and the knowing knudge at the end between the two was great.

Agreed. I liked Winchester a lot more than Burns, Charles was both the foil for Hawkeye and BJ as well as a friend. They would have an episode where they were fighting with each other and then turn around and have another episode where they would all three be stirring up trouble together.

Although after Frank left, the Margaret character never really fit into place with whether she was "the enemy" or a friend. IMO.

devilshalo 10-28-05 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Although after Frank left, the Margaret character never really fit into place with whether she was "the enemy" or a friend. IMO.

But she became more human after the divorce from Penobscott. All thru that she had to try and hide her vulnerability and she wasn't so much of a bitch after that. Of course there was the episode early on that explained her toughness when the nurses were all talking behind her back and the other episode where she tried extremely hard to please Howitzer.

rw2516 10-28-05 05:04 PM

The movie and series were based on real people and events. The original novel was written by a guy who was a MASH surgeon in Korea. Hawkeye, Trapper, Radar, Hot Lips among others are all based on real people.

There is more truth than fiction to the laid back military comedies. In a business management class in college we studied a military outpost(don't remember which war). The outpost was stuck out in the middle of nowhere and they could never get supplies. No one wore their regulation uniform. No big brass ever came to see them. They ended up having to help themselves to supplies from other bases. Although discipline was lax, morale was so high they were one of the most efficient units in the entire military. Everyone was trying to get transferred into it. I can't remember the exact term for it but it was a textbook example of a management style that is very successful in private and corporate business.