Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mr. Sulu steps out of the closet

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I'm having a tough time caring. He's gay. So what?
Old 10-28-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was pretty much known for years. Glad he made the leap though.
Old 10-28-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I always thought his line "Sannnnn Fransisco" was a little too enthusastic in Star Trek IV...
Old 10-28-05, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lordwow
I always thought his line "Sannnnn Fransisco" was a little too enthusastic in Star Trek IV...
LOL...there's a line with him talking about that? I wonder if that was an "in" joke? I wouldn't put it past them.
Old 10-28-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Anderson Cooper? Really?
Old 10-28-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Lane has been "out of the closet" for years...in fact, I don't even think he was IN the closet at any point.
I suspect that was "funny" Groucho, given the number of gays--queens, even--that Nathan has also played.

For what it's worth, I agree he's been out for most of his career; my original point is that he has been more coy about it the more successful he's gotten. As a rising stage actor he was out, as a comedy movie & TV actor he's been tending to drift back in. He enjoys his current limbo, more-or-less openly gay in the blue states only. It's good for business.

Last edited by adamblast; 10-28-05 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-28-05, 12:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Anderson Cooper? Really?
Oh hell yeah. He was interviewing someone and they were going on about homosexuality being a sin and apparently he REALLY flew off the handle on the guy. Wish I could've seen it.
Old 10-28-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
LOL...there's a line with him talking about that? I wonder if that was an "in" joke? I wouldn't put it past them.
Yes... in fact it's on the trailer...

http://www.movie-list.net/classics/star_trek4.mov
Old 10-28-05, 02:05 PM

Seriously had no clue. Never did follow classic Trek that closely. But I say good for him. With Trek's history of making a point to highlight diversity and equality among its crew members, I'm surprised that none of the later Trek shows (or even films) featured a gay crew member.
Old 10-28-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Toben
I'm surprised that none of the later Trek shows (or even films) featured a gay crew member.
Duh, there are no gays in the future. Sheesh.

Old 10-28-05, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Morf
Duh, there are no gays in the future. Sheesh.

Yes. There is a galactic holocaust somewhere in the future and they get rid of us and all African Americans. Somehow Lando got through...
Old 10-28-05, 02:48 PM

Yes. There is a galactic holocaust somewhere in the future and they get rid of us and all African Americans. Somehow Lando got through...
Of course. Who would want to mess with him? Dude wears a cape! Besides, I'm sure that guy with the reverse Cyclops-eyepiece looking thingie attached to the back of his skull that Lando's always hanging out with has some kind of Gaydar jamming device built into it.
Old 10-28-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Probably should've guessed when he kept asking Chekov to "land on Rigel 4"
Old 10-28-05, 03:42 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

There is a galactic holocaust somewhere in the future and they get rid of us and all African Americans. Somehow Lando got through...

STAR WARS is set in the past.

Hand over your geek card now, please.
Old 10-28-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
I really waffle on this whole "gay actors should be spokespeople" thing. I understand the desire to put a recognizable face on the "movement," but at the same time, since I couldn't care less who anyone sleeps with, the fact that this actor is gay or this singer is gay is such a non-issue to me that I don't understand why anyone cares about it, gay OR straight.

Of course, I'm not affected by it every day, so who am I to talk? I just get offended at this idea that closeted gay actors have some kind of responsibility to the gay community to "come out" and support the cause. They can do whatever they want to...and deserve their privacy if they choose to have it.
Old 10-28-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Of course, I'm not affected by it every day, so who am I to talk? I just get offended at this idea that closeted gay actors have some kind of responsibility to the gay community to "come out" and support the cause. They can do whatever they want to...and deserve their privacy if they choose to have it.
I don't say they have a responsibility to come out. I *do* say they are perpetuating discrimination if they spend their lives lying and taking the easy road. The difference is, perhaps, small to most people's ears.
Old 10-28-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by scott shelton
STAR WARS is set in the past.

Hand over your geek card now, please.
Ok, so he should have said Lt. Uhura or Capt. Sisko.
Old 10-28-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I still say Rob Halford of Judas Priest has more guts than any Actor in Hollywood coming out because he came out in world of Heavy Metal where the Males are far less forgiving when it comes to -ANY- kind of change. But you know what? He didn't lose any fans because he's awesome and everyone knows it. We stuck by him. In fact, according to him, the real surprise was THE LACK of support form the Gay Community. He said he was expecting them to embrace him but they didn't. He says the music genre probably had a lot to do with that lack of support.
I agree, although at that point in his career it couldn't have hurt things too much. I was shocked at how well it was received too though. His triumphant return to the Priest and the reception it got were impressive.
Old 10-28-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Draven
I really waffle on this whole "gay actors should be spokespeople" thing. I understand the desire to put a recognizable face on the "movement," but at the same time, since I couldn't care less who anyone sleeps with, the fact that this actor is gay or this singer is gay is such a non-issue to me that I don't understand why anyone cares about it, gay OR straight.

Funny because most of Hollywood is gay yet they still choose to live a lie becuase they feel the public wont like them as much because of it. Look at Tom Cruise and him suing every tabloid that mentions gay in the same sentence?
Old 10-28-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
Funny because most of Hollywood is gay yet they still choose to live a lie becuase they feel the public wont like them as much because of it. Look at Tom Cruise and him suing every tabloid that mentions gay in the same sentence?
But that's the thing: let's say Tom Cruise is gay...it should be his perogative to make that public. It's not illegal to hide or lie about your sexuality. If he feels his image is threatened, I see no problems taking steps to deal with that. But from the little I remember about media law and libel from college, you can't sue someone for libel if they can prove what they said was true, even if it damages your reputation.

I don't know, I'm all over the place on this. I just wish it wasn't such a big deal. When Takei's announcement is the first thing I see on Yahoo News when I open my homepage, I get a little concerned about the priorities in this country. This is the very definition of "non-news," right up their with whether Cruise is lying about his sexual preference or not.
Old 10-28-05, 06:47 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
So BRAVE of him to come out now that nobody cares...

I'd give more credit to the WNBA player who came out than George Takei who has made about as much impact as Richard Chamberlain did last year.

Every year for National Coming Out day we get some washed up has-been.

When is some closet case who would really make a difference come out like Ryan Seacrest or Jake Gyllenhall...
Old 10-29-05, 12:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GuessWho

no comment needed
I don't think that's the only secret he's keeping ---

Think about it.
Old 10-29-05, 06:30 AM

I don't understand why homosexuality is still such a major issue here in America. But I can understand why many mainstream Hollywood stars keep quiet about their private sex lives, some people have a dim few about people who are "different".

As a bisexual man myself, I understand what it is like to be on the receiving end of irrational descrimination.

Last edited by Cancer Man; 10-29-05 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-29-05, 06:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cancer Man
As a bysexual man myself, I understand what it is like to be on the receiving end of irrational descrimination.
Honey, if you're gonna be bi, at least learn to spell "bisexual."
Old 10-29-05, 07:08 AM

That's what I mean by irrational discrimination.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.