Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 02:02 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
How I Met Your Mother - "The Slutty Pumpkin" - 10/24

"The Slutty Pumpkin"
Spoiler:
Ted makes his yearly pilgrimage to the rooftop Halloween party in search of a girl he met years ago.
Old 10-24-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Already digging the episode title. I hope Ted brings Doogie with him.
Old 10-24-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I watched the episode already. It airs on Sunday night in one of the Canadian networks.

I think this is one of the best episodes of the season so far mainly because of Barney's antics.
His entrance with his first Halloween costume is classic. I couldn't stop laughing.

"I'm flipping you off."

I'll remove the spoilers after it airs in the US.

Edit - Removed spoiler tags.

Last edited by LorenzoL; 10-24-05 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-24-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*Danger Zone*

"Flightsuit up!"
Old 10-24-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
The penguin bit was so telegraphed but absolutely great. I think this show is all about NPH. Without it, I dont think I would have given it a second look. He just brings the funny. Its like his character in H&K except we get to keep seeing him over and over.
Old 10-24-05, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by bothanspy
I think this show is all about NPH. Without it, I dont think I would have given it a second look. He just brings the funny. Its like his character in H&K except we get to keep seeing him over and over.
Agreed, him and Hannigan keep me interested. Am I the only one that really would like to strangle Ted most of the time...I really see the Bob Saget-Full House connection in this actor, and not in the good way...
Old 10-24-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by raKim
Agreed, him and Hannigan keep me interested. Am I the only one that really would like to strangle Ted most of the time...I really see the Bob Saget-Full House connection in this actor, and not in the good way...
I didn't find him annoying in this episode but I still think that he's the weak link of the main cast.
Old 10-24-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched this for the first time tonight. NPH was about the only bright spot. Doesn't help that I absolutely can't stand Hannigan. I know they were going for awkward with the new boyfriend but it was uncomfortably awkward for me as the viewer. May check out another episode of this some day but wasn't too impressed.
Old 10-24-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I'm a sucker for Halloween-themed episodes, I really enjoyed this one. I'm also liking the series better each week.
Old 10-24-05, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by BDLOU
Watched this for the first time tonight. NPH was about the only bright spot. Doesn't help that I absolutely can't stand Hannigan.
I like her all right as an actress, but her character in this is super annoying. I cringe at half of the "jokes" or cutesy things she says, but I'd like to think the writers intentionally made her corny and...um..unfunny to offset "the Barnacle". He's pretty hilarious most of the time and usually gets the best lines.

The main guy reminds of the character John Cusack plays in 99% of his romantic comedies. He's a neurotic single guy who enjoys whining about being single and airing out his dating frustrations to anyone who'll listen. Only this actor doesn't have Cusack's charm or quirky good looks (at least to me), so he grates on me most of the time he's onscreen. I look forward to whenever NPH come's in with some comic relief.
Old 10-24-05, 10:34 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
"I penguin suited up"

He called AH's character Auny Lily tonight so that should end the theory that she is the mother
Old 10-24-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
They did a good job casting two out of the five cast members - Barney and Robin. The rest of them just seem out of place.
Old 10-24-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone know the song at the end of the episode? The voice sounded so familiar but I can't quite place my finger on it. Almost sounded like Coldplay, but I don't think it is.
Old 10-24-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I do find it hard to believe that the kids in 2030 are wearing the same style clothes and hair as today. Must be the retro look.

The Maverick costume is a good one, especially if you carry the music background.

Did anyone else notice the band was playing the "Linus & Lucy" Peanuts theme when Ted thought he had found the Slutty Pumpkin? Kind of cruel for the Barnacle to do that I thought.
Old 10-24-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was too much to hope for Alyson to wear the hot, leather outfit that vampire Willow wore.

Barney gets the best lines, but he has the worst name.
Old 10-24-05, 11:47 PM

Admit it. Even though you saw the "laid" joke coming a mile away, it was still legendary.
Old 10-25-05, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
The Maverick costume is a good one, especially if you carry the music background.
I think he was Iceman.
Old 10-25-05, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Although I liked this episode, isn't it a year or so too late for the gay pirate jokes?
Old 10-25-05, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
"I'm flipping you off."
I believe it was "flippering"

and I think the best line was when he was with the lei girl. "But how will you know it is me? I am a master of disguise."

And the song at the very end was Nada Surf - Inside of Love
Old 10-25-05, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh yea, Barney's entrance with his flight suit was great. I totally want to do that (next year, this year is still too soon). It would be great if he had a radio in his helmet.
Old 10-25-05, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First time I've watched this show... and now the last... I hate shows like this that think they know how to write what 20/30 somethings are thinking and talk about... No one I know talks/acts that way... Allyson Hannagan is cute, but she should not open her mouth
Old 10-25-05, 08:20 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Good episode again last night. NPH continues to bring the laughs.
Old 10-25-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked this episode, I think the show is getting better and better and helping me overcome my sitcom prejudice.

I did think the show should have had the Sluttly Pumpkin show up at the end, but Ted not see her. In fact, I think it would have been funny if the bar had announced the winner of the costume contest as "The Slutty Pumpkin" and just have Marsall & Lily look at each other.
Old 10-25-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Great ep. NPH continues to shine on this show. And get all the best lines. I think Marshall and Lily were pretty funny this week too. Too bad Ted didn't find his slutty pumpkin. "How can a pumpkin be slutty? It was carved in strategic places."

Also liked the a cappella arrangement of the Peanuts theme at the end. The whole episode was a great homage to The Great Pumpkin. All Ted needed was a security blanket.
Old 10-25-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Xander
Also liked the a cappella arrangement of the Peanuts theme at the end. The whole episode was a great homage to The Great Pumpkin. All Ted needed was a security blanket.
would the blanket at the end with robin count?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.