Desperate Housewives - 10/09/05

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Desperate Housewives - 10/09/05

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, this show has definitely fizzled out this season so far. They try to have little stories for each character each episode, maybe they should try to just show one or two bigger stories an episode instead so they can flesh out more stuff and make it more interesting.
Old 10-11-05, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by SMB-IL
I haven't checked the discs, but if I remember correctly, we only saw George NOT give Rex his prescription when he came in to pick it up and told him it would be delivered to the house and then George throwing away the original pills. The assumption was that George switched the pills, but I don't remember seeing him actually do that. Anyone feel free to correct me!
There's a few possibilities that I've thought of with the whole George thing. I don't think that George just didn't give Rex anything, though. I mean, if you had a serious heart condition, you'd probably be pretty aware of what perscriptions you were on (especially if you were a doctor), and it's not like it'd be noticed if the perscription just didn't get filled.

But as others have said, we don't know what George did end up giving Rex. It could have been the correct stuff, it could have been a placebo, which would have just made Rex's heart worse, or it could have been some sort of Potassium pill, which would have lead to his death directly.

Also, is it possible that one can take some sort of medicine to help beat a polygraph? On The Shield last season, a couple of characters were planning on beating a lie detector, and were going to take a couple valiums, which supposedly would do the trick. I've got no idea if that would actually work, though. If it would, then George definitely would have access to the stuff.

As for this season, a big 100% agreement with USA Today. In addition, although Mary Alice is still narrating, it's like she really has very little to do with what's going on now, so why is she still talking? I think it's a device that they could lose. I NEVER thought I'd say this about this show, but I'm sort of bored this year.
Yup. I really haven't been digging this season as much as the last one, and that article really summed it all up, as did your comment about Mary Alice. While it does look like there's going to be some stuff involving Zach, and Paul is still around, the main mystery's done. I'd much rather see one of the other dead characters (Rex or Mrs. Huber) doing the narration.
Old 10-11-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
Yeah, this is the first episode of DH that I really didn't care about what happened, and actually had to fast-forward throught some lame parts. I hope it bounces back.
Old 10-11-05, 11:01 AM

They could have Gabrielle get herself arrested and try to break out her husband. Of course not before tattooing her entire body with the floorplans of the jail...
Old 10-11-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought George was giving him the wrong medication. Isn't it standar to do an autopsy after someone dies? Why are they digging the body up now?
Old 10-11-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Pretty good ep. I agree that it seems a little slower than last season, but I keep hoping it'll pick up.

In one of the last eps of last season, George sneaks into the Vandecamp's house, throws out Rex's pills and replaces them with something else. I always thought it was potassium, since that's what was wrong with him and technically wouldn't be considered "poisoning" him. So George could technically say he didn't poison Rex. He just gave him potassium.

I do think that the "digging Rex up" device was lame. Since his doctor was suspicious about the test results, he should have done an autopsy right after Rex died.

Oh, and am I the only one that thought the hand that grabbed the food in last week's episode (in the basement) was white? I need to go back and watch the "previously on" again, but I totally thought it was a white male's hand that grabbed the tray. Then a black man came up out of the basement. Bad editing, maybe.
Old 10-11-05, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Xander
Oh, and am I the only one that thought the hand that grabbed the food in last week's episode (in the basement) was white? I need to go back and watch the "previously on" again, but I totally thought it was a white male's hand that grabbed the tray. Then a black man came up out of the basement. Bad editing, maybe.
Just to continue my streak of suggesting off-the-wall possibilities, what's to say that they've got just one person chained up down there?
Old 10-11-05, 12:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
In the earlier episode, they clearly showed a black man's hand. I watched with the queen, and who would know better than her?
Old 10-11-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 205 Likes on 159 Posts
I just hope they do something to spice up the season, right now it isn't going anywhere fast. Maybe Cherry has a major plan for the whole season and he's starting it out slow. FWIW, one could argue they're just trying to wrap up the loose ends from last season right now and saving the actual advancement for later. At least that's what I hope.

My hopes:

-Susan quits being so obsessive over her ex-husband and gets back with Mike.
-Bree goes back to being her prudish self and let's her hair down.
-Lynette's husband goes back to work after Lynette realizes that no matter how much she loved her life before, she cannot go back to it.
-Gaby actually has a good story going and is developing, but losing some more clothes would help!
-Mike and Zach reconcile and Zach leaves the show!

In all honesty, a second installation of something that is phenomenal the first time out seldom lives up to expectations. Take the Matrix Reloaded for example.
Old 10-11-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also feel this show is just spinning. I believe it was earlier in this thread somebody mentioned Mark Cherry hasn't written an episode yet for this season. WTH???? This is his flagship show, what else has the man got going on? Twin Peaks lost steam after season one because David Lynch got involved in the making of Wild at Heart, but what's Cherry's excuse? I hope it's a good one to let this show continue on like this in the pivitol first few weeks of the season.

I am going to keep watching, only with the hope that Cherry will hop back on the writing team and slap this show in to shape. David Lynch waited a tad too long to do that to Twin Peaks and it was just too late for that show, but hopefully this one can be saved in time, and before sweeps weeks!
Old 10-11-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I thought George was giving him the wrong medication. Isn't it standar to do an autopsy after someone dies? Why are they digging the body up now?
No. Autopsies have declined significantly in this country in recent years. Unless it is a child's death, or unless there is suspicion of homicide, autopsies are only done with family request/permission. Rex's doctor may have had suspicions, but it is totally not his call unless he makes his suspicions official (i.e. informs the authorities)....otherwise, the family can refuse an autopsy, and that's that.
Old 10-12-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by garmonbozia
No. Autopsies have declined significantly in this country in recent years. Unless it is a child's death, or unless there is suspicion of homicide, autopsies are only done with family request/permission. Rex's doctor may have had suspicions, but it is totally not his call unless he makes his suspicions official (i.e. informs the authorities)....otherwise, the family can refuse an autopsy, and that's that.

I do not know how true this is, my mother in law died of a heart attack while in the hospital for other reasons and they performed one on her, and she was in bad health, including dialysis and respiratory disease, prior to going in to the hospital.
I still think that people under a certain age are done when a trauma or long time disease is the obvios cause.
Old 10-12-05, 11:41 AM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
It probably differs from state to state.
Old 10-12-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I just hope they do something to spice up the season, right now it isn't going anywhere fast. Maybe Cherry has a major plan for the whole season and he's starting it out slow. FWIW, one could argue they're just trying to wrap up the loose ends from last season right now and saving the actual advancement for later. At least that's what I hope.

My hopes:

-Susan quits being so obsessive over her ex-husband and gets back with Mike.
I think their idea of Susan is to be the whacky, accident prone Housewife of the bunch but in essence they have just made her dumber and harder to stomach than last season.
D.H's seems like one of those shows that only has a limited shelf life.
Time will tell.
Old 10-12-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know if they replay the episodes on any other channel? Damn conflict with something else screwed me. I had the Surreal Life above this in my season pass manager.
Old 10-12-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BDLOU
Anyone know if they replay the episodes on any other channel? Damn conflict with something else screwed me. I had the Surreal Life above this in my season pass manager.

Surreal Life?
Old 10-12-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Surreal Life?
Don't ask. It's been on there since Mini Me took a whiz in the corner. Thought that season had some potential. I have taken it off since this last issue.
Old 10-12-05, 12:21 PM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
In the earlier episode, they clearly showed a black man's hand. I watched with the queen, and who would know better than her?
I don't believe you!

Is anyone able to post a screencap of that shot? I want to verify!

Vlad, they could definitely have more than one person down there, but they always talk about "him", not "them", so I don't know.
Old 10-12-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does Teri Hatchers character have a job in the show? how can she afford everything? lame question but i always wondered that. I never really see anyone going to work
Old 10-12-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon
Does Teri Hatchers character have a job in the show? how can she afford everything?
She works out of her home - she does artwork for children's books, iirc.
Old 10-12-05, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Xander
The wife and I both saw a white hand in that episode too.
Old 10-12-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw it as a black hand. Not dark-skinned; more of a medium mocha skin-tone.
Old 10-13-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Like others, I wasn't too thrilled with this episode. Gabrielle and Bree were the only two I wanted to watch. I loved it when Bree threw out her mother-in-law. Susan and Lynette are just treading water in my opinion.
Old 08-26-12, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Desperate Housewives - 10/09/05

Susan is little to wacky. Bree's boyfriend was poisoning Rex. This was shown a couple of episodes back when he broke into the house and switched Rex's meds.

Yeah I'm late. I'm watching the show on netflx.